Nook, kindle, or ipad?

It’s come to my attention certain books are restricted to certain e-readers WTF I had to deal with this shit in video games (back in the day when almost no one had both snes and genesis or n64 and ps1:rofl:) but I didn’t think exclusivity would reach books as well.

I tried my cousins kindle yesterday, we didn’t know what the numbers at the bottom of the pages meant (maybe number of words per page?) and 1 page on kindle doesn’t necessarily translate to 1 full page of a book and it doesn’t even give any indication as to what page of the real book you’re on.

A touch screen would be useful here, anyways out of the 3 which is the best?

Seriously if just books gts kindle vs nook (gts = google that sh*t).

If all around usage, get an ipad.

as far as exclusives I suspect they will not stay exclusive, the publishers all want to make their cash, and… isnt apple the biggest company of the 3 ? theres saftey in numbers. (ebook purists might swear by the kindle, but I’d get an ipad)

P.S. i took the bait

I’d go kindle. The iPad is a netbook but without a desktop OS and many other useful features, and it’s about twice the price.

I like the new kindle.

books only:Kindle
books+other shit:iPad

Why kindle?

no love for the playbook?

[media=youtube]_AFL0AmZK3Y&feature=player_embedded#![/media]

WANT.

Shits on all 3.

• The Kindle uses locations. Since you can adjust the size of the font, page numbers do not really make sense.
  • I also bought the Kindle 3 last month. I chose it over the Nook simply because it is a little slimmer and doesn’t have the color LCD display. I read the Kindle in all kinds of lighting, including outside. The e-ink portion of the Nook works great in sunlight, but the Nook’s bottom color LCD is hard to see in sunlight, as is the iPad. IMO, the iPad is not a great reading platform. An LCD can fatigue your eyes. Not to mention that I use a computer for work all day, watch TV and go on my computer. It’s nice to have a simple e-ink device to read on.

If I were looking at a device for just reading, I would look at the Kindle and Nook. There are a lot of comparisons online, but as a reader, they both work well. The biggest difference is that the Nook is ePub compatible and you can “borrow” books from your local library.

I have the new kindle and the shit’s pretty dope. My mom wanted the nook, so I got it for her. The nook’s wider, and has the mini touch screen for navigation, similar to some sprint phones. It’s a bitch to enter keys on that thing, imo. With the nook, you’re able to lend books out, I believe you can get free books when you use it at a b&n store, and there’s a slot for a mini sd card to expand the memory. There are vids on the net of kindles being hacked, homebrewed, etc(depends on the firmware). The screen’s not as crisp, and the refresh rate is a little slow compared to the kindle. Navigating the b&n store through the nook is a cinch, though. The kindle’s thinner than the nook, the screen is very, very crisp, and the refresh rate is pretty fast. As I stated before, I’m not a fan of the touchscreen bs, so the keyboard is the business. You’re able to run some pdf’s, and the battery life is very good(especially with the wi-fi off). You can’t lend books out with the kindle, but you can have it read your book to you with the text-to-speech feature(if the select book supports it). Navigating the kindle’s store is a cinch as well. I’ve bought only three books since I got my kindle and downloaded about 39 more. You can load mp3’s on both e-readers, but you’re limited to playing and skipping tracks. The kindle’s web browser is okay, as well. The only spot where the nook wins imo is the replacement dept. Once the nook’s battery craps out, you’re able to buy a replacement battery, but with the kindle, there’s no way to replace the battery other than sending it in. From what I’ve read, some people who’ve done that have received a different kindle than the one that was purchased. I’ve also heard of cases where amazon has had shitty customer service regarding re-downloading purchased books that you accidentally deleted(which is why I downloaded mine). Regarding the lack of a light, amazon has lighted covers for sale, which use the kindle to power it up, for $60. I’ve had my kindle for a few weeks now, and I have to say that it’s the shite. Ultimately, it’s up to you so do your research.

Damnit just wait for the Android Tablet to come out!!! Samsung <3

The reading light for kindle and better refresh rate makes me lean towards it.

I bought a Kindle 3 last week and have to say that for only $139 (wi-fi only) it is one of the best deals I’ve come across. I had an older Sony e-reader and that screen and refresh rate made it a pain to read plus the price was way to high, but they were pretty new at the time.

The battery life on this thing is insane. I have left it on with Wi-Fi running nonstop and large amounts of data transfer and reading being done and I have only drained the life 8% since last Thursday. Plus I love the ability to just be able to email the books I have in different formats to my kindle email address and as long as I type “convert” in the subject line it will sync the book to my device and put it in the kindle format.

Always buy your e-books in an open, cross-platform format like PDF or Mobipocket, so that way if you decide to change your device you don’t have to go and re-download all of your books again. All e-readers usually support these formats or have tools for converting them to the native format of the e-reader.

I don’t recommend the iPad at all for anyone, because there’s nothing that it can do that isn’t already done better by an actual e-reader or a decent netbook. If you like the slate form factor, wait for the Notion Ink Adam to be released. It has a LCD screen that can be switched into an e-ink mode for reading e-books, and a bunch of other nifty hardware features that the iPad lacks, like a front-facing camera, dual core processor, USB ports, expandable storage, and even a trackpad on the back of the device.

Thanks for the info:tup:

iPad owner speaking
Got mine around launch.

Why are you getting what your getting. If it’s strictly for reading - I’d go Kindle…plain and simple, you don’t want to over spend for reading, and the e-ink is better on your eyes.

What other platforms do you own? Do you own an iPhone/touch already? When you buy stuff - you license it to your names - so you can use it on multiple platform - thus if you’ve spent a grip on iPhone apps, they transfer for free over to your iPad.

Frankly speaking, reading only - Kindle, everything else there is iPad.

And I’m sorry - new device != iPad, there is something to be said for an already extensive library of apps. I don’t like Apple at ALL, but I’ve got to be real - you can have the best tech around, but if your getting an iPad, its NOT to function as a ‘Netbook’…that classification is a bit mis-leading - at least to me…when I read netbook, I think office and web platform…and the iPad is not good at office stuff (in the slightest) nor is it really good at surfing (especially forums like SRK), but it EXCELS at apps, because thats the focus. Hell I’m actually about to go BUY a netbook for my fiance because her laptop is just too big. I was going to get her an iPad, but it’s not going to do for her - what she wants/needs her laptop to do.

• :bluu:

Dude, what planet are you from? The word “app” is a shortened version of “application,” which is a shortened version of “application software,” which is defined as “computer software designed to help the user to perform singular or multiple related specific tasks.” There is no difference between an iPad “app” and the current library of applications available to a Linux and Windows-based computers. That buzzword is a fabrication by Apple to make their development platform seem more trendy and exotic to the average consumer, but the fact of the matter is that there are only about 3000 iPad “apps” available, while there are millions available for Linux and Windows.

So let’s get back to what you were saying about what the iPad does and does not do. Here’s why I don’t support the iPad: There’s no camera, so you can’t take pictures or do video chat. There’s no Flash support, so you can’t access Flash content on popular websites like Newgrounds, Facebook, HBO, Hulu, etc. There’s no ability to install third party keyboards, so you can’t use cool new software like BlindType or Swype, or even advanced input methods for foreign languages if you happen to be bi-lingual. You can’t read it very well in direct sunlight, so it’s no good for e-books. You can’t use third-party game controllers for playing games, since it doesn’t have USB ports or support from Bluetooth HID, so you’re stuck with touch controls for playing SNES/NES/GBA games. There’s no HDMI/DVI/VGA output, so if you create a PowerPoint presentation and need to show it off for work, you have to transfer the file to a different device first. There’s no removable battery, no expandable storage, and if the device completely freezes and locks up I/O, the only option is to wait for the battery to drain. You can’t even do your taxes on an iPad.

A good netbook will accomplish every single task you need for mobile computing including games, office, web browsing, multi-language input, presentations, and video chat, and will do it for cheaper than the iPad. And soon there will be netbooks and slates that use the same e-ink/LCD hybrid technology of the Notion Ink Adam, so they’ll be great for e-book reading too. Though of course those people that can’t wait will probably buy a Kindle or Nook.

Your assertion that the iPad possesses some sort of advanced application technology unheard of in the world of computing is a load of crap. Touchscreen technology is not new, and it does not automatically make you better at typing, reading, or games. It’s actually a step backward from the tried and true tactile feedback keyboards and mice, and was developed primarily for use on small devices where a regular keyboard and mouse would not fit. iPod Touch hardware on a big screen a better computer does not make. And if anything you look like a tool when you have to use one hand to hold the device and the other to hunt and peck while you try to Google a recipe for your grandmother, because the actual tech-savvy people already have a real tablet PC which they can use like a regular laptop and in a slate mode, complete with stylus and state-of-the-art handwriting recognition so they can jot down notes for work or school. It even uses the same Wacom tablet technology so you can fire up Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to do graphic design on the go.

Sorry, but no amount of “apps” can make up for the fact that the hardware simply sucks.

I still think it’s a budget e-reader.

You get what you paid for.

sigh there was ‘no assertion’ of the iPad being technologically ‘new’ - hell I have a touch-screen jukebox that I built a year and some change ago using WinXP and an ELO 17" screen. I’m no dumbass, nor am I being stupid about what an “app” is - hell for fudges sake I program in several different languages (well used to bump that now :rofl: ).

My point about apps is the existing library of supported ‘applications’ designed for that device, that take advantage of that devices attributes, there is no waiting for anything, it’s already there…in full glory, and at a price better than most ‘legal’ applications.

As well your wrong about some of what the iPad can do, it CAN output to DVI, there is a camera add-on etc. Built in, no, but the options are there if you want it. As well the though of the iPad being a larger iTouch is a false sense…trust I got both, had the touch first then got the iPad as a gift. It really feels like the iTouch is a stripped down iPad…
shrug
I’m not trying to convince you to get one, by no means, I don’t even recommend it for most folks, I think it’s somewhat over priced on the front-end, but the pros are very much something to consider when looking at that segment. As well, there is the reality of the iPod syndrome. Be honest, if your into tech, then you know that when mp3 players started getting hot and heavy - te iPoad was by no means at the top of the heap, but they were extremely smart with their marketing, if yo uwanted to integrate your mp3 player with your car, you had to use an iPod, if you wanted to tie it into that it was an iPod, if you wanted to control it thru that - it was an iPod, and now we are at a point where the only real viable mp3 players are ipods or zunes - which are still negatively looked upon as a M$ product. When it comes down to it, 3-4 years from now I really only expect two of the smaller than laptop - form factors to still have a pulse - the Kindle and the iPad. Hell, the ONLY reason the iPhone didn’t whipe out the other smartphones - and the Droid has been able to do the damage it has done is because of the lack of iPhone elsewhere.

shrug

• :bluu:

According to an actual hardware analysis, reverse engineering confirms Apple iPad is ‘a really big iPod Touch’.

The iPad does not output to DVI. It only outputs to VGA, and the VGA connector costs an extra $30 and uses the dock connector to interface with the device. This means that you can’t plug into AC while playing videos or presentations on an external display, unless of course you spend another $30 on a specialized dock that has an extra connector for the VGA cable. Don’t have VGA on your TV/projector? Well, then you’re out $50 instead for the Apple Component AV cable, but thankfully they include a USB power adapter with that one. Even then you’re still limited to the iPad’s native resolution of 1024x768, and it only works with a few apps that have built-in video output support. That means you can’t browse the internet on your TV unless you install a third party browser. You can’t even play movies you bought through iTunes on a TV, because VGA/component are not HDCP-compliant, and this is why HDMI/DVI support is such a huge deal.

There is no camera addon currently available for the iPad. Using your iPhone to act as a camera for your iPad is dumb, and it won’t support video chat anyway.

The other claims about iPod and iPhone are off-topic, baseless, and just plain wrong.

The only reason manufacturers accommodate Apple products so often and so specifically is because Apple sidesteps the market and creates their own standards, and therefore the devices usually won’t work unless you buy Apple’s overpriced, proprietary accessories.

And no, availability is not the only reason why the iPhone is losing ground in the smartphone market. People that are serious about buying an iPhone swallow their pride and go with AT&T anyway, because to them it’s worth it for the status symbol and for their precious “apps.” For the rest of the world, Android is the better choice because it’s open, free to modify and distribute, typically does everything iPhone does, and does many things that the iPhone can’t. Such features include tethering, portable hotspots, video calling over 4G, Google Maps navigation, multiple input methods, physical keyboards, custom home screens and widgets, virtual networking clients, SSH clients, Samba network shares, voice input methods, and the list goes on and on.

Does Apple pay you to eat shit just so you can spew it up later in these threads?