Novice custon stick question

Noob questions so bare with me. I?ve wanted to make a custom stick for awhile but since this?ll be the first one I?ll do, I?d like to keep the soldering to a minimum. I stumbled across a used TE stick for cheap (cheaper than buying the parts individually) and since it has all the parts I wanted, I was thinking of just transferring the parts over to the new case. Since the Xbox 360 PCB is plug n? play, I don?t think anything in this project would require soldering. I?ve got the case, mounting, and other things covered.

Is there a major drawback (technical) to doing in essence a ?brain transplant? verse starting from the bottom up? It seems like a very simple and easy way to change housing, plus I can always go back and change the buttons/stick if needed. Thanks.

Buy new parts. Used te (stock parts?) does not sound very reliable. But if it’s selling for cheap, then buy it and keep the shell for a later project.

Buttons will run you about $2-3 each. Joysticks run about $20. I dont know of any solderless options for 360, but the paewang board ($50) is pretty easy to work with, plus it gives you ps3 compatibility.

So you have the board, joystick and buttons. At the very least, you will probably need about 8 buttons. Total comes out to around $90-100 before shipping. You can drop that significantly if you use a cheaper brand of pcb, such as the madcatz gamepad ($15?), but it will require a bit more soldering work.

te stock parts are sanwa’s so you would basically be buying used sanwa parts… should last you a while and like you said if they break down(might be awhile) you can always replace them.

If its cheap why not, should last your money’s worth. I know guys who’ve been using sanwas without replacements for over 2-3 years

Just use the parts.
Nothing wrong.
No problem.

It seems this guy doesn’t know much about the TE. TE stock parts are sanwa so depending on how “used” they are you should be good for parts. Also the guts of the TE come with quick disconnects for all the buttons and a wiring harness for the stick so no soldering would be needed at all. The only thing I’m unsure of is the guide button. The guide button is on the panel where the turbo, guide lockout and stick selector switches are. I think this panel is actually a small plastic box once you get inside. That box could be transferable but would probably look very out of place on a custom stick.