NYPD targets mentally ill, 10-0 matchup?

I usually don’t make news threads because I already spend a big chunk of time studying and talking about politics but this article really got my goat and I feel it warrants discussion, so put down dat madden and let’s get to it. And why yes you astute SRK’ers  it IS a fox news link but please lower your pitchforks and flaming torches long enough to understand that it’s the only one I could find with a psychologist’s rebuttal.<br><br>http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21237058/nypd-searching-for-mentally-ill-new-yorkers<br><br>"Police are now looking for New Yorkers who are not getting their court-ordered mental treatment.
<p>The city has drawn up a sort-of most wanted list: 25 New Yorkers who have mental hygiene warrants out for them.</p>
<p>Cops are now actively looking for those individuals. If found, they will be required to receive mental health treatment.</p>
<p>Dr. Harris Stratyner, a psychologist, is concerned the measure could go against some people’s rights.</p>
<p>The health department released this statement: “all of these patients
are receiving treatment for mental health conditions. If they do not
receive sustained treatment… they could pose some risk to themselves,
family members or others.”</p>
<p>These mentally ill people cops are looking for were supposed to be
receiving court-ordered treatment. If found, he or she would be taken to
a hospital not jail.</p>
<p>Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, the NYPD’s shief spokesman,
issued this statement: “Recently, at the request of the Health
Department, the NYPD attempted to locate individuals required to receive
mental health treatment. None are wanted criminals. NYPD investigators
determined that in some instances the subjects had moved out of state,
and in other cases the individuals were located and returned to
treatment. Others are still being sought.”</p><div style=“overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;”><br></div>Having done strenuous research on the topic and exhausting countless resources and time (AKA 10 second google search) I found this cool article about where responsibility for the mentally ill lies, it’s worth a read if you have the time: http://scientopia.org/blogs/goodmath/2011/01/10/mental-illness-and-responsibility/<br><br>The lack of proper treatment for the mentally ill has for a long time been one of the elephants in the room of U.S. politics and It’s only in recent years that the media is taking notice of how serious (or for you cynical people how rating worthy) the issue is. Countless crimes could have been prevented had the assailants been properly identified and cared for by the state and/or federal health authorities as well as their respective social circle of friends, family, whatever assuming they have either resource. It’s really fucked up how the motivation for NY state to address the mentally ill stems from a fear of financial loss through court ordered payments rather than the safety and well being of human life. I agree with Stratyner, this list making is a very scary and slippery slope however, getting people capable of doing harm the treatment they need in order to be less of a threat to themselves and others is better than doing nothing. I think it’s obvious that this witch hunt for the mentally ill is at best addressing a symptom and not the root cause but it’s still a step in the right direction as long as the definition of “mentally ill” doesn’t expand to include whoever cops feel like shutting up with drugs. So what does SRK think? Oh yeah and "insert generic joke about women behaving and thinking illogically*.<br>