Official Hit Box SSFIV Thread

I get a lot of shit at my locals for playing on a hitbox with people often quoting standing 720’s as an example of how inputs are easier on it. What arguments do you guys use to defend your use of an unorthodox controller?

Also, I don’t use an official hitbox (I made my own instead) but I’m (probably?) the most prominent san diego hitbox player :slight_smile: showing up in tournaments and such. I’ll likely be at the Arcade Relief event this saturday, I’ll see if I can’t hold up my box for the stream if I even get that far.

“I like buttons” worked for me.

I’m assuming yours has internal SOCD handling mechanisms. If you don’t have them, you’re cheating. I’m also assuming that Left + Right = Neutral. If it’s LCE, substitute last entered in. I don’t know how effective this would be, but I’d carry a copy of MvC3 Vanilla, an official controller, and tell the organizers how my Hitbox works. Touching each button, I’d say exactly this…

Movement is "Left [taps left], Down [taps down], Right [Taps right], Up [taps up], Neutral [presses both left and right], Up [taps both down and up at exactly the same time], All else is standard. You want to do a controller test with a game that proves it? [while smiling of course].

If you do this, you have hard data in this situation that proves your Hitbox isn’t a cheat box. Since you have the tournament organizers on your side, when anyone bitches, they don’t have any moral ground to stand on [like they and their scrub mentality ever did…].

If they’re complaining about anything being easier to do, tell them…
1]Even if that statement was accurate, aren’t controllers meant to make game-play as easy as possible without playing the game for you? And if the controller isn’t, isn’t it failing at its mission?

I wouldn’t worry too much if yours isn’t SOCD cleaned. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Thanks, grandpa. Let’s see you play on this.” while you proceed to kick their ass.
This is a good topic though. I know there’s a lot of this cheat box comments coming from tournament players who know nothing about buttons. Generally I’m a smart ass and people eventually come around, but I would like to see this stigma go away altogether. Maybe we can get some sort of FAQ for this?
Don’t you dare let those people discourage you though.

It will just take some time then the community will accept it. People have a hard time grasping the concept of new things in any community. Over time once people start seeing the Hitbox more and more, people will just accept that it’s another legitimate control platform and stop questioning it, not sure if there is a short term answer other than to ignore them.

LOL forgot to add that part. Actually, it was in it and accidentally edited out.

Actually, I’d tell him to attempt 10 standing or walking 720s in a row and see if he gets it. He won’t. Brian, based on what you’ve said, it took you a month to get this done.

BTW, I actually would worry about if mine’s SOCD cleaned. All that really cool 1-2 frame dashing, FADC stuff, and my SOCD upper would be gone. I’m greedy. I won’t do without.

One thing I forgot to mention that I edited into the earlier post… If you do what I tell you to to the organizers, they’ll most likely accept that the device is just a slightly better input device, and not a tool for cheating. The other competitors and members of the community will have to fall in line.

Coupling what you see in this video

With This video
[media=youtube]jxxITVGoY94[/media]
00:54 Meters are built or expended before the move comes out.

Is pretty rude.

I have the SOCD cleaner in my box (thanks gdlk) but how would it be cheating if I didn’t? I played on keyboard for months before I got a hitbox and holding left+right = forward, not block. You can do the same thing with a pad (left on dpad right on stick). I spent the same countless hours learning my combos then as I do now, how am I cheating when I’m using a keyboard?

When you think about it pad and keyboard are the defaults now, with keyboard being especially relevant, you have to go out of your way to get a stick. If PC is a huge chunk of the player base who are you to tell me my controller is cheating.

^^ how my argument usually goes.

Well, in some games, you can double-block which is frowned on by many players. Also, some games all kinds of weird things can happen in games that weren’t programmed to handle SOCDs like crashing, and walking forwards while charging. Chicken guarding becomes broken in games with air blocking that don’t have guard breaks, as the only threat is the air throw. Teching the throw becomes too easy because all you would need to do is hit a button [I’d bait the tech, and then punish the attack thrown personally].

I have questions about whether or not SOCDs are cheating myself, and have that lean, so I like the idea of eliminating them. The advantages of the SOCD cleaner are quite desirable anyways. Furthermore, most pads put a certain level of priority so that commands from one directional movement system are always taken over commands from the other. In MvC2 for Dreamcast, I think the analog stick’s actions take precedence over the D-pad.

I guess people are too brainless to take into account that an anti-ghosting keyboard would allow SOCD entry.

Actually, now that I think about it, SOCDs that cause weird, undesirable things to happen are more the fault of a shit programmer, and not of the person who’s able to take advantage of it. It’s almost the responsibility of the player to exploit this to his benefit. It should be the responsibility of the developer to consider and deal with this shit. If they don’t, then we should be able to exploit them should we chose to depending on the circumstances. I choose not to.

Everyone should be able to use any control scheme they desire so long as that control scheme isn’t playing the game for the player [Program pads, etc…]. Otherwise you eliminate certain sections of the community unnecessarily that can benefit it.

Hi hitbox users,

I’m a new to using a hitbox (with SOCD) with AE. I really enjoy the concept of it, but am having some seemingly random behavior with certain inputs. I’ve spent a bit of time in training mode with inputs showing, and I haven’t been able to explain what’s happening. Can you help me figure it out?

I have only gotten fireballs to come out with 236+p, not 26+p, and this is consistent. However, when I go for supers and ultras, I have less consistent results:

23236+p, 236236+p always work for super/ultra.
2626+p seems to work half of the time, the other half of the time yielding a dp. Perhaps the timing affects what comes out? Or does the training mode input not always display what is actually input if it happens too quickly? I’ve also tried the new SOCD ultra tech posted recently to get 2626+p, and still get the same inconsistent results.

If you could explain what is going on and/or share your relevant experiences, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are several shortcuts for ultra. So :d::df::d::df::f works, and :d::df::d::f: is a slightly more efficient (but awkward) motion for ultra. I just focused in on the :d::f::d::f: shortcut because of the efficiency, simplicity, and use in FADC combos without letting go of :f:.

There’s one caveat to it that I didn’t focus on long enough in the tutorial, and that’s that the shortcut only works if there are no neutral inputs accidentally entered. It’s a bit tricky because the input history doesn’t show “neutral” as an input in SSFIV, but it affects the shortcut nonetheless.

If you get an EX dp, then you accidentally hit :b:+:f: at some point while you were either hitting the diagonal or releasing the diagonal. Because :f::d::f::d:N:f: won’t work. To stop this and get your walking ultra to come out 99% you need to be very crisp and fast on the diagonal. Once you know why it’s not coming out all the time it’s much easier to make the adjustment.

Another option is to purposefully teach yourself to “roll” your fingers away from the diagonal. You can program your fingers to do the entire motion just off of the negative edge. Your fingers will be entering :f:(hold) :db::db:(tap) but the input history reads a perfect QCFx2.

I hope that makes sense. Just aim for perfect diagonals.

I recommend using some other game’s practice mode that shows neutral inputs if you’re going to practice this in addition to SSF4.

Wait… I didn’t know you could negative edge Directional inputs!!. So this would only work if you input the diagonal perfectly? this means you can do super motion with one button press if you hold forward?! yikes, cant wait to test this when I get home. So im thinking feilong cr mp into super would be walk forward (6) press 1+2+mp, Release 1+2+mp and that should work yea?

You have to finish the super once you let go :b::d: so the direction defaults itself back to :f:, finishing your motion. Then you press MP. But yeah you can definitely buffer the first half of the motion anywhere; before your confirm, during your footsies, etc.

I don’t think it’s the literal definition of negative edge, but it’s the same concept of letting go of one button to trigger an input. :b:+:d:+:f:, :d:+:f:, :f: is a hadoken strictly from removing your fingers in the correct order.
Same thing with the ultra shortcut. You don’t have to have a ‘perfect’ diagonal so long as it slants towards the proper motion on negative edge, rather than the other way which will get you neutral inputs.

If you want to incorporate negative edge motions into your game, you can practice “counter plinking” to master the art of hitting your directional motions one frame after the other with negative edge release. If you learn it, it can potentially give you optimal inputs with less finger motions involved if you use more of a wrist pivot on release. I use it for Tekken wavedash and Viper seismo spam in UMvC3 to reduce my workload on fast repetitive motions; make a roll feel like tapping a diagonal. Right now I’m mastering walking SOCD :f::d::df: in UMvC3 to give myself a reactionary dragon punch at what feels like holding forward with the tap of a diagonal. Nothing can match that speed except SSFIV shoryuken shortcuts. :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagine how rude that SOCD uppercut would be for someone like Zero with a charged buster. We’re talking invincible DP death. That or Genmu-Zero [level 3 hyper].

Side note: I think it goes without saying that you can do SOCD shortcuts for the 323 uppercut. DF, DFB, DF+attack in SSF4

Hello forum =)

Im quiete new to the game 'n genre (1 year) but made good progress…
until my postman delivered me my hitbox couple of days ago.
started with fight stick from day 1 i got infected early that last year as soon as i saw it. and now ive got one on my own.

problem is that love-hate with that thing.
i cant imagine inputs that simple, clean yet easy (theoretically) like on hitbox. (im sorry for some proto-type’ish phrases by my bad english having fun messing around with)
but i also couldnt imagine before, how hard it is to learn!

…lost the track a little bit…

what i actually wanted to know with this post is, if THAT thread right here is the right place for any questions that WILL pop up in my hitbox-learning-process.
because i need help.
after just 4 sessions i was on the edge selling it again and i believe i wont stand the hitbox due to believings i wont do as well with single fingers than a complete grip on those fight stick sticks =)

wow…does my sentences make still any sense. looks awkward ^^

anyhoe…
do you guys think it is 100% possible to switch to hitbox like it should be the case from pad to stick for example.
or do you think not everybody can play piano (i feel like the are similarities in the challenge between piano and hitbox ^^ ).
those who think so, what do you think is the reason for the fact that the hitbox is quiete unpopular? with those input-possibilities and other advantages (cheaper to build, harder to break, easier to carry)?!
i mean common! it has to do something with the individual ability to move those two crytical fingers independently.
or is that just my excuse for my laziness? (plz tell me it is, i wanna be a hitboxer ^^ )

thanks!

ps: no preview of my post, too not-sober to NOT change my mind about that look of my awkward sentences what would just cause even more effort than that text did (im a foreigner)

im such a boon
xD

new idea!
=)
can you tell me some good loops to practise in order to get to know my new controller a little bit?
real fights havend helped so far since ive got general problems with hitbox inputs like no special is ever coming out after succesfull links but hot air.
i feel like doing that SOCD-loop now…

and my main consern so far:

why is it so hard for me to get a hadoken out of crouching block position?

from player 1 perspective:
it is
:b: :d: THEN :d: (releasing back) THEN :d: :f: THEN :f: (releasing down) :p:
right?

i find it hard to not skip the down input

even more depressed cause looks like im too stupid =(

SOCD doesnt work for me like in the video.

it doesnt cancel my focus attack by holding :f: and just tap :b: + FA
but thats how i understand the technique.
but going through fireballs for example for me works only if i do
holding :f: THEN FA + :b: (RELEASING :f: ) THEN :f: again
so i have to let go :f: , cannot just hold it and tap :b:

=(