Official SF4 Tournament Rules and Such

I’m new to the competitive Street Fighter 4 rules and whatnot (don’t have the game yet), so I was hoping someone could help me out.

• Do most people use the GamePad or the Arcade Stick?

• Can you use a regular controller and still do well, or does it actually put you at a huge disadvantage?

• If I were to use a regular controller, what do I need to change about it’s button configuration in order to make it tournament legal?

• Are specials banned? Like, in Guilty Gear they banned the instant kill specials or w/e they’re called, so I was wondering if there’s anything like that for SF4.

That’s all I have for now I spose. Thanks alot.

-Stick
-depends how good you are
-nothing
-no.

When did they ban the instant kills in Gear? I never saw that at a tournament. If you were dumb enough to try for one and miss then you were at a HUGE disadvantage the rest of the fight. and if you got hit with that move you can see coming from WAY in advance you deserved to die

i’ve placed high in mvc2 tourneys using dreamcast pad. i know several top players also use dc pad. it’s preference.

[quote=“NotTooBad”]

I’m new to the competitive Street Fighter 4 rules and whatnot (don’t have the game yet), so I was hoping someone could help me out.

• Do most people use the GamePad or the Arcade Stick?

[Quote]

Stick

[Quote=NotTooBad]

• Can you use a regular controller and still do well, or does it actually put you at a huge disadvantage?
    [/Quote]

If you can execute 99% of your moves on a pad, then you aren’t at a disadvantage. A stick simply make certain movements and motions easier. If you can become good on pad, then by all means use it

Some tournaments don’t allow button mapping. Also controllers that can play macros are illegal in tournamnets for obvious reasons.

Button mapping on controllers like assigning 3 punch buttons to a shoulder button is generally lax.  Even in tournies where they don't allow it, they generally won't disqualify you if you do.  However, just in case you should train yourself to hit all 3 buttons on a joypad without using mappings.

no special is banned in SF4. As a matter of fact, few things are banned in the game. Some tourneys are starting to ban Seth. But that is only if a character is too powerful under the gameplay system.

P.S. Instant Kills were not banned in Guilty Gear. They are extremely hard to land, and put you at a major disadvantage if you fail. Top Guilty Gear players don’t do it, because they put themselves at a disadvantage for trying it.

The OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Instant Kills have never been banned.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that they were banned. My mistake.

And umm…ok I guess I didn’t realize that Gamepad = Regular Controller lol. I thought a Gamepad was exactly like a regular controller except that the button layout is similar to that of the stick (like the buttons on the controller are in the exact same place as they are on the arcade stick).

If someone wants to explain what 3 punch/kick buttons means that would help too. I’m a noob to traditional fighters/SF4.

Street Fighter 4 allows you to map all 3 punch buttons or all 3 kick buttons to a single input, like Left or Right trigger or whatever you want really. I would have thought it was self explanatory D:

Sorry to bump this, but I had another question. Since the default button setup has all the punches on L1 and all the kicks on L2 what should I change it to? How do some of yall have it setup?

The only disadvantage with using a pad is that you won’t be as good as you could have been if you put the time into using a stick. Otherwise if you’re more used to pad, obviously that would be better.

Peace out.