Ok lets set this straight and get everyones opinions on this

What do you think is:

A: That makes asian players known as being better? (please serious answering and no stupid jokes. ex. BECAUSE THEIR ASIAN.)

B: What are american players missing? (from the pro’s to the newbies)

C: If the gap was closed what would you think would happen to the tourney scene overall? As in which country would become the underdog then?

Well in the case of vanilla SF4, it came out a full year ahead of time in Japanese arcades.

well could you answer the other 2 questions

What are American players missing: That extra year that the Japanese players got, an arcade scene.
If the gap were closed… then there would be no gap and neither country would have a so-called advantage.

It’s not so much that asians are better as much as it is that non-white people in general are.

american players aren’t missing anything, except the level of competition that Japan has and has had for the past twenty years. and the amount of time practicing, I think.

Its lack of arcades simply.

Look at where the best US players come from (the ones able to go to Japan and compete): New York, California, i.e. places with arcades. Yea you can have get togethers on consoles and those players can also end up becoming pretty good, but its still going to be lacking compaed to people who’ve been in an arcade culture for around ten years now.

These are competitive games after all and therefore require the sort of competitive climate that you can’t get without playing other people…

A) Tighter community, usually gets games earlier, and are just hella dedicated in general.
B) See: A
C) It would be more even?

In Japan it’s socially acceptable to spend hours playing arcade games every day. That’s how I got so good at Pop’n Music. I was allowed to do so by my peers during a time in which I really cared what others thought of me.

Fixed.

In Japan they don’t play for money, cause it’s illegal. They basically play to be the best. Since there’s no money on the line, they also have no qualms about sharing all their secrets with each other. There used to be a mentality here in the US where they would save shit for the finals. However it’s slowly changing.

… Pop’n? Really?

Arcades and locations

In America we’re more spread out so the best players don’t often get to fight the other best players so it’s harder to level up. But, that’s why in America of the good players we have they all seem to be from the same areas.

Hey, Pop’n’s fucking awesome, man.

Looking at the culture, they perfect the art / work / daily activities from day to day. It is part of the culture to not only do well, but to perfection. This is not so in the America?s, modded controllers and other to help increase their chances. This is not a flame war, but serious answer. Look at their day to day lives. They walk in their house; they remove their shoes, very neat and tidy. I’m not saying that all are like this but those who are traditional, are. From eating to dancing, everything is done with a purpose and to perfection. This takes skill, patience, practice, and mind set.
I don’t want to send a message wall, but that is just a small example.

true my mom is always talking about this^.

And i can see that

Hey man you have a female cartoon character with tight pants as your avatar. Just throwing that out there.

There are probably a close number of whites and blacks that participate in the touny scene, and that place high.
Ross, Ortiz, Shizza

Wait, why the hell is this question in the NSD instead of Fighting Game Discussion? Just to avoid getting flamed (and rightfully so) to shit?

Seriously, this is the correct answer right here.

There is nothing inherently better about Asains or Koreans that make them better at fighting games, but its the arcade scene that gives them so much more of a jumpstart than the rest of the community. Playing in your room over the internet or by yourself is simply not the same experience, no matter how many players have mics.

I think the only way to get better collectively is for people to stop being so quick to point out scrubs and flowcharts, but rather educate these “scrubs” on what they are doing wrong, and what they should be doing. The level of competency in fighting games in korea/japan is higher than here in America in terms of the average person, and that says a lot. The average person in USA is a scrub, plain and simple. We should see this and try to build up the up-and-comers, and encourage new players to enter tournaments, maybe even host new player tournaments.

Either way, I think the gap between us getting collectively better is within our grasp. Its not about mindlessly practicing in training room for hours on end. It’s about educating those who want to learn to get better.

In japan’s case

A and B: Geography and culture. People tend to forget that Japan is the size of a large state. all of those players live in relatively close to each other when you compare them to the east and west coast in the US even east coast and midwest.

Its the exact same reason Cali has more high level players than montana, or New York has more high level players than Alaska. You get good by testing yourself against good competition and when good comp becomes something you have to travel for and not something you can get 10 minutes away from home. you have to start factoring in other things into the equation: travel time, gas money etc.

American players could rise to that skill level with noproblem if that level of skill existed in a place where they could see it and play against it everyday, but for most of the country that isn’t and is never going to be the case.

C) Oddly enough because two gaps exist If
(Ameican average)----------------(American tournament)–(Japanese Average)----------------(Japanese tournament)

Shifting the skill of of american tourney players closer to that of japanese tournament players would widen the gap between american casual players and american tournament players, mostly likely killing or at least severely damaging the american scene.

Also, for people who can’t read good, the question is about players in Asia and not why asian americans do better.