Ok, question for you button geeks on button layouts

Why is it that on Xbox pads, hard punch defaults to RB and hard kick defaults to RT?
What’s the sense in that? Didn’t HP default to “LB” on Super NES pads? How was it on Sega Genesis?
Even though I don’t think any of them had analog inputs…
(even they had fight sticks).

What’s the point of having HK on an analog trigger and HP on a digital button, anyway?
Fightsticks would have made a LOT more sense if the last two buttons on the right were LT and RT and HK/HP were LB and RB.

I don’t get it.

Came from the default PS1 config, where R1 was Fierce and R2 was Roundhouse.
They must’ve kept the actual physical location of the function, without caring about the actual type of button there.

6 buttons or 8 buttons, what is your preference?

There was no LB/ RB on the SNES Pads, just L and R
L was Heavy Punch and R was Heavy Kick.

on 360 the controls actually did default to fierce on LB and roundhouse on RB, which was fine if 360 was the only platform you played on.

if you dualmodded your stick or used a converter you now had to deal with the fact that the default control scheme on PS2/3 and 360 did not match. it was awful. i am glad modern fighting games are console exclusives so we don’t have to deal with the Xbox/PlayStation button layout shenanigannery anymore.

the r1/r2 control scheme makes sense because if you do not use the L buttons at all, (often the case for the namco fighting games that were more popular during the ps1/ps2 era) then you devote your left hand entirely to movement and your right hand entirely to attacks. that’s what we used back then and it’s sort of carried over to modern day, though nowadays pad players do use the L buttons for less common shortcuts.

I used to play Street Fighter II recently quite a bit with friends, and we used SNES controllers. Mapping HP to L seemed comfortable for most people, but I’ll admit doing any fierce moves (like hadouken / shoryuken) was harder due to that. It makes sense they eventually switched to just R1 / R2.

On the tails of this, when people play Super Turbo at tournaments, is there a “default” control scheme the machines are setup to? With 8-button sticks it seems like there’s some room for customization, but it would be a pain to adjust between matches, right?

Probably. I know that at EVO, they do let you change the button mapping. But what tournaments are you talking about, because you say “machines”, and every tournament i know of use Xbox or PlayStation. If you check the website of the tournament, you could probably ask about the control scheme. And i do think the default for arcades is LP MP HP over LK MK HK anyway, the same as SNES Hori controllers. I think that is why old school players say jab strong and fierce instead of saying light or medium or heavy, it is what Super Street Fighter 2 cabinets had written on them. 8 buttons are just the same, but the final buttons being three punches or three kicks(only helpful on pad). Customization is pointless because the regular arcade layout is the most practical, and easy to transition to from controller.

search for the Hori super famicom fighting commander and the sf2 arcade panel.

What about those players who have special needs, someone with a physical disability of some sort.
Don’t they deserve a controller than can meet their needs?

And if were going to allow for those with Physical disabilities to have their needs and concerns meet, why not players who the standard layout for what ever reason does not agree with them?

I’m thinking about Super Turbo specifically, and unless they’re playing HDR they usually use an arcade machine, right? I’d assume they’d map to typical 6 button fightstick controls. But speaking of arcade hardware, does it matter if you use a PS3 or an Xbox 360 stick? Not sure if they USB encoder(s) on the arcade machines support both.

Honestly, this is just out of curiosity for me; I don’t think I’ll ever be good enough to be in a tournament :tongue:

The arcade machines usually were wired directly to the original circuitry. Xbox 360/PS3 parts were not used, but this was years ago the last time I ever checked.
Most of the time they just used consoles that were “arcade perfect.” An example is the Dreamcast version of Super Turbo was Evo Legal back then.

Anniversary edition wasn’t tournament legal…Old (SSF2, and “Old” ST) Sagat’s low tiger shots had nerfed recovery. Only some Asian variant gave him his recovery back.

Thanks for the info @Falkentyne :slight_smile:

Honestly I should just check out a tournament where they’re playing ST. I’m really curious about the hardware used and whatnot, plus it’s probably fun anyway :slight_smile: (I’ve never been to a video game tournament before).

Yeah. When playing Street Fighter on Dual Shock I have heavy attacks at the bottom, lights in the middle and mediums on the right shoulder. Ever since the CvS2 days.