Okay. Having some issues

Before I start, here’s the main point:

I am free. Like, ridiculously free.

I main Chun-li and I’m working on Ibuki too. I’ve played other fighting games before SSF4, and I’ve been playing for a few weeks now. I’ve been watching good players play it for a long time but I’ve only recently had the courage to try and play.

My main problem is that people hit me on wakeup a lot. Wake up sweep, wake up DP, wake up super/ultra. You name it, I get hit by it on wakeup. I’ve been playing online matches against others on XBL a lot lately, and I am just getting hit by the most random things all the time. I’m a bit better than I was when I first started, but I’m still bad. I don’t like being bad at games, so I want all the help I can get.

Another problem: I know combos, but I have trouble getting them off in real matches. If I even get in the position to, I get hit by…wake up buttons. The stuff I listed above. I am pretty much doing the most simple stuff to get damage, then I have to back up. If I try to pressure them, I will get hit by buttons. It’s annoying.

So yeah. I am in need of some help. Playing some people online wouldn’t hurt either. Thanks in advance.

mostly it just seems you have a lack of experience.

wakeup problem: if they’re far, just crouch block on wakeup. if they’re close, switch between throwing and blocking.
combos: you can’t combo whenever you feel like it. don’t focus on that either. whenever your opponent is free to take damage, do the most amount of damage you can. sometimes that’s a single strike, sometimes it’s a setup attack, sometimes it’s a full combo

you just need to play more and look at your mistakes, you’ll get it

Heya, yeah that’s a tough position to be in. This isn’t as much specific advice as it is encouragement, but here’s some tips just from me taking a shot in the dark:

1. Try to find someone a bit better than you and fight them with the same characters over and over and over. Use a mic to communicate and you’ll learn a lot more while having conversation. It’s hard to remember lessons and practice techniques when you just fight random opponents who are all over the board in terms of skill and characters. You could ask a training partner to keep using certain tactics you struggle with.

2. Spend a solid 3rd or 4th of you time in training mode to practice combos off of various openings (not just jump-ins), and to learn the timing for punishing wiffed moves of your opponents. Use random block to practice hit-confirms. Practice throwing the training dummy on wakeup as he mashes jab, etc. Theres a hell of a lot more to the game than just that of course (spacing, baiting, mixups…)

3. Learn something new everyday. Some of the most useful tricks and techniques involve very small nuances in timing, such as being able to block your opponent’s shoryuken on wakeup and throwing them at the same time if they do nothing (block an press throw a split second AFTER the opponent wakes up). Learn everything you possibly can about the game engine, such as the fact that doing a move in the air makes you vulnerable as you are landing. One day, try to grasp what all of your frame data means.

4. The most important tool is patience. Practically all players have hundreds and often over 1000 hours of playtime invested in games like this, and the better you get the more you realize how far you have to go even after a year of playing. If you can stare all of that in the face and still have fun while seriously trying to get better, you will do well eventually.

I played a good Guy player today and he’s a friend from another place so that helped a bit. I’m focusing on Ibuki more than Chun-Li now and I cannot get the hang of her SJC cancels into ultra. I might buy a stick just for this character. I’m learning new things, but slowly. I’m sure everyone here is better than me, so I’ll just…look around for someone to play.

Yeah, like omfg said, all it seems like is lack of experience… Don’t worry it’ll come around… You’ll learn to see patterns, and habits then you’ll know how to react… Then from then you’ll learn how to actually make people do what you want them to do, even on wake up.