Older consoles on newer TV's?

I have a Vizio 32’ 720p TV I bought last year. It has component and HDMI, but no composite input.

Is there any way to play older consoles on newer TVs? Was planning on bringing out my Saturn/SNES/etc.

Honestly man, playing older consoles on newer televisions without proper equipment should be considered a sin.

The problem is that the LCD TV tries to upscale and filter the image several different ways to present a “clearer” picture. The result is a blurry eye-fuck of a water-colored mess. I used to think that it would be perfectly fine. I couldn’t lie to myself any longer after seeing my SNES look like absolute shit on my 42" LCD. I’d recommend picking up a CRT TV dedicated to old systems.

But if you are that dead-set on playing on that particular TV, then you look for some type of Component to Composite down-scalier.

SCART SCART SCART. Also, get ready to spend monies. Composite is ass.

To really do it right is going to cost about 500 dollars. Xrgb mini frame mister will give you scan lines , smooth scaling and just about eliminate lag

That SCART to VGA setup will run around $100 which is reasonable if he really enjoys old games. Don’t scare him off.

SNES, Genesis, Saturn, the Neo Geo AES/ Neo Geo, The PS1, PS2 and PS3CD all support scart

N64 can support RGB (Scart) if there some minor rewiring done.
The US NES does not support scart with out major hacking (needs PPU chip from Play Choice 10 arcade Board)
Famicon titler (Japanese NES and screen titler together) can do RGB with minor hacking and the French NES supports scart

Game Cube has component output, but look like finding the over priced cables is a pain in the ass
Non-HDMI Xbox 360 consoles support VGA
Dreamcast supports native VGA with an adapter (select games)

As Kyle said it should only be about $100 investment. Yes you could use the XRGB, but they are not cheap.

Thanks Darksakul. At the sake of being pedantic (trying to help).

SNES 1 (not mini). Genesis 1 and 2 (not 3).

PS2/PS3 have a component video cable (much cheaper)

N64 can support RGB (Scart) if there some minor rewiring done - This requires an original console and many users have reported that a video amp is still required for an adequate picture. Better to buy a pre-modded console.

The US NES does not support scart with out major hacking (needs PPU chip from Play Choice 10 arcade Board)
Famicon titler (Japanese NES and screen titler together) can do RGB with minor hacking and the French NES supports scart

The NES has the worst luck. This will run you upwards of $300. Use your SNES to play Mario All-Stars.

Game Cube has component output, but look like finding the over priced cables is a pain in the ass

Yep. Be prepared to pay $70+ for a component cable unless you can find one at Gamestop - then they are $5. The cable contains a digital converter chip so there are no third party options. This also requires the original console with the digital out port.

This sounds like a job for this thread.
(somebody should get some value out of this guide, right?)

Also, don’t get a French NES. It does composite over SCART which is the same as just using composite cables. No harm in this thread. It seems less chaotic.

Alternative to the Game Cube, the Wii as Component and VGA (mayflash) cables available.
That is if you want at least actual 480i/480p picture instead of 240i/240p of the game cube or you not using the GBA player for the game cube.

I gotta further correct this, I just gotta, but there’s actually a circuit that decodes composite into RGB in the French NES, but the quality over RGB is the same as through composite (obviously).

Cool. Doesn’t bother me. Essentially you don’t gain any picture quality with a French NES. You need a crazy expensive modded one.

Further further correction, the new Wii models (they’re lying horizontal on the box) DO NOT PLAY GAMECUBE GAMES.

What?! They don’t?! That is news to me.

I hadn’t heard about it either, but there it is.

Don’t forget to get a scanline generator. I reccoment Toodle’s T-SLG.

Oh its just the European Gimped and crippled Wii.

Rin, Katawa Shoujo

Spoiler

http://katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_rin.png

*Wii what is your Disability ? *
I know its your Tackle isn’t it?

*Wait you don’t play Game Cube games, what that is no Fun at all. *
The Pants problem would of been more fun.

Yeah, the easiest way would just go and buy a CRT television, but good ones are getting to be quite rare. Another idea would be to buy a nifty CRT monitor with all the required ports + a lot of other features, such as a studio or medical monitor. You can find those for sale on EBay.

If you do go for CRT just make sure it has component inputs. That way you can still go the SCART route. I can get gorgeous CRTs from Goodwill for $50. Apparently in larger cities people just give them away.

Nope. Sorry for any confusion - I only posted that specific link because it is one of the earliest reports of the hardware being simplified. Nintendo’s press release is no longer available on their news page, but this October article from Engadget has a copy of it (emphasis added):

[details=Spoiler]BLACK WII HOLIDAY BUNDLE WITH NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII AND EXCLUSIVE MUSIC CD ARRIVING OCT. 23

Oct. 11, 2011
As the holiday season draws near, Nintendo of America is giving consumers a new way to discover the nonstop fun and exceptional value of the Wii™ system. Starting Oct. 23, a new Wii console bundle will be available at U.S. retailers, including the New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii game, a special Super Mario Galaxy™ soundtrack CD, a black Wii Remote™ Plus controller and a black Nunchuk™ controller. The new bundle will be offered at a suggested retail price of $149.99.

Particularly for first-time console buyers and newcomers to the world of Nintendo, this new Wii bundle delivers a mix of inclusive entertainment at an attractive price. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is one of the most widely enjoyed games for the Wii system with more than 20 million units sold worldwide. Featuring iconic characters from the classic Super Mario Bros. series, the game lets up to four friends or family members play together in a fast-paced platforming adventure. The Super Mario Galaxy music CD, which includes a selection of memorable music from the acclaimed video game, is available only as part of the new Wii bundle and will not be sold separately. The newly configured black Wii console sits horizontally rather than vertically and is designed exclusively for Wii game play and entertainment experiences (Nintendo GameCube™ software and accessories are not supported).

The standard Wii bundle, which includes a Wii console (white or black), matching Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk controllers, Mario Kart™ Wii game and Wii Wheel™ accessory, will continue to be available at a suggested retail price of $149.99. Both Wii bundles offer tremendous value to consumers and families looking to expand their home entertainment options.

Upcoming games for Wii include The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword, an epic new installment in the fan-favorite adventure series launching Nov. 20. In addition to a huge, diverse library of motion-controlled video games, the Wii system allows users to access a variety of fun online features by connecting their console to the Internet. Netflix members with an unlimited streaming plan can use the Wii console to enjoy thousands of movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix directly to their living rooms*.*[/details]
Nintendo’s site currently states the following: “Please note that current models of the Wii console are not compatible with GameCube games and accessories.” So it would appear that the Mario Kart bundles will be the last of the GC-compatible SKUs. They still seem to be in stock in my city, but who knows if they’re still making them. Several people also mentioned that the GC memory slots are gone, but the controller ports are still available (since several Wii games use them) - but I’m not sure if that applies to all regions.