One book that palpably affected your life

What I’m asking from the board is to list, one book that had a real effect on the way things had been looked at. The way life was lived. Maybe things happened under different circumstances. So maybe you should list an influential source instead.

I’m sure some will want to post 3 or so, go ahead. I just enjoy the challenge of simplicity.

It helps if you list the author. - Thanks

Chuck Klosterman’s Killing Yourself to Live

The Emperor Wears No Clothes

Beelzebub’s Tales To His Grandson - G. I. Gurdjieff

The Human Biological Machine As A Transformational Apparatus - E. J. Gold

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

A Brief History of Time

Killer Poker by John Vorhaus.

Impactful to life in general.

Agreed.

Catcher in the Rye

The Republic

The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason.

The God Delusion <-- Read this in my magic, science, religion course. Stirred up some heated debates…

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho.

I had to stop reading at one point and take a breather, and when I was done, I thought for hours about my life. I just can’t explain what it did to me. I highly recommend it.

Richard Hawkins is hilarious.

1984 by George Orwell.

I wish I could unread it. :frowning:

Are you referring to books that affected society/the world in general, or books that have affected you personally?

ive been meaning to read that and currently have it sitting on my desk waiting to be opened…

why do you want to un read it?

I can see why you asked that looking at how I worded it; personally please.

Personally, War And Peace (by Leo Tolstoy) opened my eyes to what good literature really is. The beauty of how what seemed like multiple books coming together to one intricately entwined conclusion was beyond incredible. I don’t read fiction the same way as I did before reading War And Peace.

I would say Nietzsche, Shakespeare and Kierkegaard have affected me quite a lot. Also some eastern thinkers like Hakuin, Sengstau, Huang Po.

But no one really stands out in particular.

“Every life that is preoccupied with being like others is a wasted life, a lost life. A sparrow, a fly, a poisonous insect is an object of God’s concern. It is not a wasted or lost life. But masses of mimickers, a crowd of copycats are wasted lives.” - Kierkegaard

"The greatest gift is the gift of learning, and that gift it is not completed until it’s passed on. " - First Nation belief.