Optimal upgrades for MCZ Fightstick SE

Hi there, new user and generally new player to the competitive scene here too. A couple days ago I purchased an SE Fightstick after playing on a pad for pretty much my whole life (sega saturn back in the day, fightpad recently).

I’ve already noticed that the buttons are fairly poor quality and a couple of them are starting to stick in place for half a second after I press them. I’m going to place an order for some Sanwa buttons and possibly an octagonal restrictor gate to try it out, but I was wondering if there were any other things I should consider upgrading? I’ve seen some links to a “Modding Madcatz Fightstick SE” Thread but it seems to be dead (as with a lot of other links on here too :<).

Besides new Sanwa buttons, the most common suggestion is to replace the stick with the Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-32.

Ok, gonna place an order for http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/JLF-TP-8Y-SK.htm and the octagonal gate + the cable I guess. Thanks for the advice.

You don’t need the cable.

Also, JLF-TP-8Y-SK has no mounting plate, and good luck trying to remove the SE’s one (you’re more likely to have to drill out all the screws).

You should’ve bought Sanwa Joystick JLF-TP-8YT (with mounting plate).

I managed to reuse the Madcatz mounting plate and screws fine. It just takes some bit of effort. But yeah, it would be a better idea to have JLF-TP-8YT just to be sure.

Haven’t bought anything yet, what are the exact items I need to get if I want to replace the joystick and use an octogate?

http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK-Joystick_p_260.html <- Stick
http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-GT-Y-Octagonal-Restrictor-Plate_p_242.html <- Octo gate
http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-GT-C-Round-Restrictor-Plate-Insert_p_616.html <- Circle gate
http://www.lizardlick.com/JLF-TE-Harness-for-MadCatz-FightSticks_p_615.html <- Wire harness

The circle gate is another gate option you may not know about. The JLF-TE harness isn’t 100% required, but its a good idea. Much better, reliable connection, with no chance of falling off or going on backwards like the one inside the stick already.

So I should go for these two?:

Could you explain what the wire harness is for? It doesn’t seem to be available on gremlinsolutions (I’m English btw) so I dunno if I can get it.

You don’t need the wire harness, I guess it would be if you’re installing the joystick in a brand new custom case. But replacing one in an SE stick isn’t needed as there’s already one in there. I still have mine in the bag cause I thought I needed it too.

You should click the link and check it for yourself. I do not think it does what you think it does.

Personally, I prefer the 8YT-SK stick over the 8YT. The only difference is that the SK comes with shaft cover, which I prefer, but its a preference only. Those products you linked will serve you well.

The wire harness I linked to is made specifically for MadCatz fightsticks. The wires that connect the stick to the electronics uses the wrong kind of connector where it plugs into the joystick. If you use the original wire harness, there is a chance of it falling off in play, or being put on backwards. It wont HURT anything that way, but getting the wire harness I linked prevents those problems. If you’re like me and believe in the idea of using the right tool for the right job, then you’ll understand; it’s the right tool. If good enough is good enough, then keep the harness you have.

To be honest, I would tell you to just get a Madcatz TE stick in the first place, or sell SE and get TE. Bought a SE when I became interested in playing fighting games more seriously. After upgrading buttons and stick, it was about same price as buying a used TE Stick.

The only upside i with SE is that its more portable if you like to travel with it. TE is heavier, rest easier/more stable on lap, easier to modify art if you would choose such thing.

I spent awhile looking for a stick, but it was almost impossible to find one (let alone reasonably priced) here in the UK in any condition until I found a guy near me selling a hardly used SE for £45. TE sticks were going for at least £150 and new SEs for about £75 and upwards. I didn’t really have any intention of modding mine but after fiddling around with it for a few days, some of the buttons are starting to stick and the square gate feels really alien to me so I decided I’d mod it.

Anyway, being a poor student, money is tight so I have to buy things in stages - getting Sanwa buttons first.

Whatever it’s purpose may be, it’s not needed at all when replacing a Madcatz joystick. Like I said, I have mine in the original bag lizardlick shipped it in because I just used the one that was already in the case. Just a waste of $8.95 if I remember the price correctly.

Madcatz TE stick new is about $150, used probably $120.
SE stick new is $60, Sanwa Joystick is $20, 8 buttons is what $20 tops. I tell people mine cost less than $100 to mod and it’s the same parts as the $150 TE’s. Even if you bought a TE used, you’ll pay more then that and be paying for parts that could have been mashed on by who knows how many people.

Also SE’s aren’t exactly impossible to replace art on, it just takes a ton more patience.

Very nice stick my dude. Looks real slick. Really liking the black and white scheme.

I really don’t recommend getting a sanwa JLF with a octagonal gate it feels really loose in my OP your better off with a semitsu ls-56 with a octagonal gate or just sticking with a square gate on your JLF

Ordered buttons now, what are the differences between the JLF and the LS-56?

The performance is different but the LS is not plug and play like the jlf… If your not comfortable with a dremel and soldering iron you might want to stick with a jlf… You can always add a spring if it feels “loose”

Well, one is Sanwa one is Seimitsu. If you really want to know the differences you have to have both side to by side to feel them. Since you are new to the arcade stick scene I would recommend sticking with a JLF, and if it doesn’t work out then I would try a Seimitsu LS-32 as that is the 2nd most popular joystick, but what works for everyone doesn’t always work for you. For me the first Japanese stick I used was a JLF and I adapted to it and it felt fine for me. I never actually did go into checking out all the differences between various sticks after that. I may someday purchase an LS-32 just to try it out over an extended period of time and see what I think, but I am fully content with the JLF and have no intentions of switching anytime soon(although that may change come I like the LS-32 more).

LS-56 has a stiffer spring and the throw is very short, in comparison to the JLF and its not quite as smooth as a sanwa JLF but to start off I would just stick with the a JLF with and a square gate