Our fists bleed death! The comprehensive frame trap thread

akuma

What is a frame trap?
A frame trap is a sequence of moves where the first move’s frame advantage (or disadvantage) plus the startup frames (not counting the first active frame) for the follow-up move creates a window (the frame trap) where the opponent, even if they perform a move to react, will be stuffed (or even counterhit) because the active frames of their move will not come out before the active frames of the second move of the frame trap. (Courtesy of Sf4answers.com)

Example; crouching light punch -> crouching medium punch. Because of the fact that cr. jab is +2 on block and cr. medium punch has 4 frames of start up, this means that there is a 2 frame gap between the two normals and will beat any normal that has 3 frames of startup or slower.
crouching medium punch -> far standing fierce kick. Crouching medium punch is also +2 on block but far standing fierce kick has 8 frames of start up. Making this frame trap have a 6 frame gap. While most normals are faster than the 6 frame gap, this is a great trap for beating delayed crouch techs.

Be aware of the characters that can duck the second hit of far standing fierce kick. Also know that the second hit whiffs on certain characters but only at certain ranges!!!

Check out Moody Steves terrific matchup thread that details how far standing fierce kick affects each character.

Toxys Guide to Frame Trapping

Spoiler

[INDENT=1]#1 YOU MUST LEARN THE OPTIONS BASED AROUND CLOSE COMBAT[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1](I will use Ryu for these examples below since everyone knows Ryu)[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]For example in Melbourne i see most people do a basic block string and finish it with a tick throw or do something for example with ryu and do c.lp, c.lp, c.lp, c.mk > fireball to push the opponent out.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]If you keep doing a block string into throw every time against someone who knows how to crouch tech, it’s going to be too hard to get a throw on them since you are not mixing up your block string, and if your doing a block string just for the sake of pushing them out, your wasting an opportunity, doing a block string for no reason doesn’t achieve anything, it’s your chance to deal damage to your opponent.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]What you should be doing is mixing up your block strings so your opponent has to guess, e.g[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]HOW TO BEAT DELAYED CROUCH TECH[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]To beat someone who does delayed crouch tech you can do for example [c.lp, c.lp, walk up, c.mp+lp+lk] [c.lp, stand up, c.mp+lp+lk] (if you LP + LK while doing your c.mp, if they go to throw you, you will tech)[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]If you timed it right and opponent went to crouch tech you will get counter hit on him and then you are able to confirm into a combo, so once your opponent sees that you are able to beat delayed crouch tech hes going to be more scared to just spam crouch tech because he knows your able to beat it so then you will be also able to start landing throws on him.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]HOW TO BEAT SOMEONE WHO’S GOING FOR A SETUP TO BREAK CROUCH TECH[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]If the defender believes you are going for block string that beats delay crouch tech, then he can mash on a quick start up move like a c.lp which will beat that setup since you will hit him while hes walking over to you.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]HOW TO BEAT A JAB SPAMMER[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]If the attacker thinks your going to do that he can do a “frame trap” for example c.lp, slight pause , c.mp, which you time so it leaves a 1-2 frame gap for him to stick out a normal, if he went to spam c.lp you will score a counter hit on him.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]HOW TO BEAT STAND TECH[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]If your opponent uses stand tech instead of crouch tech you have to do different things to beat that, eg [c.lp, c.lp walk up uppercut] any type of move that has invincible start up will beat throw e.g DP type of moves[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]But this is very risky if they block it they will be able to punish you, so mostly use this when you have 2 meters so you can cancel in case they block it[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]another way to beat someone who stand tech is by using dive kicks e.g Cammy and Rufus, do block string walk up a little bit then do a dive kick, If you dont use those character though you can also do something else[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]e.g c.lp, c.lp, walk back (they have the whiff throw animation) then you can just punish their whiff animation with what ever you want[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]HOW TO BEAT SOMEONE WHO TRIES TO REVERSAL YOU WITH AN INVINCIBLE START UP TYPE OF MOVE EG SHORYUKEN OR EX SPINNING BIRD KICK[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]simply do a string with no gaps in between e.g c.lp, c.lp then just crouch block, or if the opponent is the type that will uppercut only when your a bit closer, after your string walk up slightly then crouch block[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]IF YOU’RE A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT I HAVE WROTE AND ARE VS’ING SOMEONE WHO MAINLY DELAY CROUCH TECHS HERE’S A QUICK REFERENCE TABLE OF THE MIND GAME[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]Frame traps > Normal spamming[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]** Normal spamming > delayed crouch tech counter**[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]** Delayed crouch tech counter > delayed crouch tech**[/INDENT]

(Courtesy of OzHadou.net)

Notation
cs = close standing
fs = far standing
cr = crouch
Jab = LP
Strong = MP
Fierce = FP/HP
Short = LK
Medium = MK
Roundhouse = FK/HK

Normal | Startup Frames, Block Advantage
Jab
cs | 4, 3
fs | 3, 2
cr | 3, 2
Strong
cs | 3, -1
fs | 4, -1
cr | 4, 2
Fierce
cs | 4, -10
fs | 6, -1
cr | 6, -9
Short
cs | 5, 2
fs | 3, 1
cr | 4, 0
Medium
cs | 5, -2
fs | 9, -1
cr | 5, -2
Roundhouse (rh)
cs | 6, -3
fs | 8, 0
cr | 6, -9

# frame, Indicates the frame gap between normals. This does not take chains into consideration for jabs and shorts.

Frame Traps
1 frame
All versions of jab into the same jab
cs jab -> fs/cr strong, cs fierce, cr short
cr jab -> cs strong, fs jab
cr strong -> fs/cr jab
cs short -> fs/cr jab

2 frame
cs jab -> cs short, cs/cr medium
cr jab -> fs/cr strong, cs fierce, cr short, cs jab
cr strong -> cr/fs strong, cs fierce, cr short, cs jab
cs short -> cr/fs strong, cr short

3 frame
cs jab -> cs rh, cr fierce, cr rh
fs jab -> cr medium
cr jab -> cs short, cs/cr medium
cr strong -> cs short, cs/cr medium
cr short -> cr/fs jab, cs strong
fs rh -> cr/fs jab, fs strong

4 frame
fs jab -> cr rh
cr jab -> cs/cr rh, cr short
cs strong -> fs/cr jab
cr strong -> cr/fs fierce, cs/cr rh
cs short -> fs fierce, cr rh
cr short -> cs jab, fs/cr strong, cs fierce, cr short

5 frame
cs jab -> fs rh
cs strong -> fs/cr strong, cr short
cr short -> cs short, cs/cr medium
cr medium -> fs/cr jab
fs rh -> cr medium

6 frame
cs jab -> fs medium
fs jab -> fs rh
cs strong -> cr medium
fs strong -> cr medium
cr strong -> fs rh
fs fierce -> cr medium
cs short -> fs rh
cr short -> fs/cr fierce, cs/cr rh
fs medium -> cr medium
cr medium -> fs/cr strong, cr short
fs rh -> fs/cr fierce, cs cr rh

7 frame
cs strong -> cr rh
fs strong -> fs rh
fs fierce -> fs rh
fs medium -> fs rh

8 frame
cs medium -> cr rh
cr medium -> cr rh

Note: fs fierce on counter hit combos into sweep.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to post them.

Frame traps against different characters

Could you make some example on how to use 'em?

I know it sounds noobish but pro gamers already know this stuff so maybe it will be helpful to non “pro” like me :wink:

Am I right if I say this:
“Ryu cr.mp has 4 frame of startup so if i use frametraps with 1 2 or 3 frame gaps I’ll stuff his cr.mp and obtain a counterhit!”

and again:
“If you know your opponent is trying to pull out a 4 frame startup poke then u have to use the widest frametrap gap in order to maximize the chance of success in counterhitting him”

It doesn’t matter. already found the answers to all my questions into the Q&A topic :smiley: tnx anyway

Here’s an old thread I’ve made about frame traps, maybe it still has some useful information if you’d like to add to the thread:

Thanks Metallicaband. Definitely alot of good information that was too good to pass up on.