Out of the games I own, what would be a good starting point for learning the genre?

I have a decent amount of fighters, but I’m not sure where to start. I either own them or have easy access to them, so anything on this list is fair game.

1. UMvC3
  2. VF5: Final Showdown
  3. Tekken 6
  4. Roommate owns Blazblue (whatever the most recent version is)
  5. I believe my roommate has KOFXIII somewhere, but I’m not sure.

Which one would be best to get into fighting games?
(Also: I didn’t find SF4 enjoyable when I tried it, and I don’t own it. I figure I’ll give it a try at a later date when I feel like I’m more into fighters)

2D fundamentals and 3D fundamentals are quite different.

Out of the 2D games you have, Blazblue is the easiest to pick up by far. Having someone to play against in person helps the learning process a ton too; execution in training mode is much different from execution in a real match.

As far as 3D games go… well, I don’t really play 3D fighters much.

Play Blazblue and go through the whole tutorial and the char tutorial for the char you want to play.

The best starting point is a game you don’t own, but could “legally acquire” on GGPO in less than 5 minutes:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4813/41020751.jpg

I’d so go with VF5:FS. It’s solid all around and the netplay is great. It’s slowly picking up steam here in the U.S. and at EVO, one of the U.S. players got 5th and even took out one of the strong Japanese players. Things is, if you want to get even at a competent level you shouldn’t be at SRK but at VFDC. It also has an awesome tutorial that teaches you the basics, and the training mode is the best you’ll find in any fighting game, so it’ll help you level up fast.

VFDC = virtuafighter.com

I’d go with UMVC3, just because it has the biggest following and it’s the easiest to find people to play with. FGs are only fun when you get to play other people, it’s not fun to play the CPU.

If you can get a ps2 and cvs2 you will learn everything in that game.
Also what sleazoid said.

You seem to be forgetting online play.

:frowning:
Play the one you enjoy most, who gives a shit.

he wants to learn the basics. its not about which one he should play because everyones playing it. its about which game can teach him the basics…

It kinda depends. If your main interest is 3D games, VF5 without a doubt. It’s a lot easier to get into than Tekken 6. The game really depends on basic mindgames and rock-paper-scissors. I think of the 3D games, VF5 and SCV are the easiest to get into and are excellent in teaching you 3D fighting game basics. (Dunno about DoA, never really played it).

For 2D games, I would say: go with KOF. Yes, I am a Blazblue fan as you can see from the avatar, but I’m recommending KOF instead for learning basics, athough KOF is a much harder game. If you are mainly interested in playing games like P4U, GG, etc… go with BB instead of KOF though. For more general fighting game skills (outside of the “anime” genre (hate that term)), go with a more traditional fighter like KOF.

Pro’s and Con’s of KOFXIII as a tool to teach basics, as opposed to BB (my personal opinion):
Pro: no air dashing, no air blocking, jump-ins aren’t as safe as they are in BB. Being a kangaroo that jumps around all the time in most 2D fighters will mean death. If you are used to air blocking, that threat is lower and you may start to think that jumping a lot is a really good idea.
Pro: the system is a little less complicated IMHO, but it’s not far from each other. Both have a lot of options and things to learn though.
Con: heavier execution demands (though you could see this as a Pro too. it means to actually do moves, you have to precisely input them. Learning to input moves precisely will help with every game).
Con: bad online (especially on wireless, don’t play on wireless, everytime you do, Bala kills a kitten).
Con: trial, mission, challenge mode (whatever it’s called in this game) is awful for a beginning player. It’s easy to work around this. To learn combos, go to shoryuken’s or dreamcancel’s wiki instead of challenge mode. There’s also a good beginner video on KOF on youtube, but I can’t look it up right now.

I’d recommend just starting out playing a bit against your room mate and don’t think about winning too much. Think about having FUN !
Hang in there. Fighting games take a lot of effort to get even decent at. Nobody ever decided to pick up fighting games and woke up as JWong the next day :slight_smile:

Edit: in fact. Play all of these games with your roommate. See which game you like most after for example spending a week with each :slight_smile: Though I still wouldn’t recommend uMVC3 to learn basic fighting game stuff.

that part in bold motivated me to keep on trying to learn stick. thank you good sir.

You can’t really go wrong with being legitimately good in any fighting game. If you’re ACTUALLY good, then your skills will translate between fighting games. I might not know how to play (pick random 2d fighter), but I can still block everything that looks like an overhead or low, I still know what situations I’m supposed to tech throws in (even if I don’t know that particular game’s correct input), I still know what situations I’m supposed to try to escape from and where I should be attacking or defending.

The best player I personally know learned how to play fighting games by becoming amazing at Marvel 2 (offense) and Tekken (defense) and now can hang with international level players just by having amazing fundamentals.

all those games belong in 3 different sub-genres

1. Old school fighters: KOFXIII, Capcom vs SNK, SF4
  2. New school fighters: UMVC3, Blazblue, Skullgirls etc
  3. “3D” fighters: Tekken 6, VF5:FS

each genre requires different set of skills and methods. you cant expect to master one genre and be good at the other.

1. For old school, as mentioned previously, SF2 is so easy to find and set-up that you’ll have no problems.
    I’d recommend KOF too, but focus there more only if you are interested in SNK games

2. For new school Blazblue is a nice place to start, though I think you’ll like Guilty Gear too, since it is older and more info is available. You can find cheap versions both on consoles and Windows PCs. But Skullgirls would really be the ideal choice. Few characters so you’ll not be confused by matchups and good tutorials. You can get it cheaply. For games like Melty Blood, its a little obscure to learn the genre.

3. For 3D fighters VF5 is a good choice obviously.

But I’d recommend first offline play, both against CPU or friends, then delve into online play. It is not about winning or loosing, but learning the basics. Because once you see the methods other players use, you’ll be frustrated at the expense of learning.

Blazblue & Tekken 6, go for it!

Go with VF5. Like I said in another thread, Tekken 6 has terrible online and is currently only useful in the fact that you can use the training mode as a preemptive strike for TTT2. I also I flat out wouldn’t recommend learning a game that will be obsolete in about 2 months time.

My point exactly. I started with MvC. I’m at a good position now.

who is on your team?

I have a lot. xD

Viper/Doom/Ammy
Viper/Mag/Ammy
Viper/Dante/Ammy
Mag/Doom/Sent
Dante/Vergil/Mag
Nova/Doom/Ammy

Those are the main ones I like to use.

damn. i need to start using ammy. do you only play on ps3 :/?