Overclocking your Video Card without having to replace the fan

Got another computer question.

Alright, so I’m running an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS video and I’m wondering how much I can clock up the speed without having to worry about any kind of over-heating problems?

The card runs nice, and I’m playing oblivion on ultra high with it.
But I’m a bit picky about how the game runs. Every now and then the frame rate tends to drop in some parts of the game or sometimes (kind of rare) when new info hits the game it gives me a 1/4 second load. I kind of want to improve on this by clocking up my 7900 GS card.

Checking out google, I’m reading that the default settings that come with the 7900 GS are really low and its actually safe to clock it up. The thing is, no one posts what they recommand they have the settings at. The only thing I know is to never let the card run on the battery alone or don’t have the “always have fan on” option checked.

So my question is, how fast can I clock up my 7900 GS without worrying about any kind of over-heating issues?

depends on the card. you can usually go up 10-15% on stock cooling, some have overclocked to 25% with no problems.

Edit: found this

Well, what more info do you need?

The card I’m using is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056

What I mean is there is no uniform max overclocking settings even for 2 of the exact same video card. Sometimes it’s just luck of the draw. Say you have 2 7900gs’, one might allow a 30% increase the other might give you artifacts if you OC more than 5%.

Oh wow.
So how can I tell whats best for me?

You think I should go with clocking it at least 15% for now?

I’m not gonna touch anything just yet until I get a stronger answer.

No, it’s better to start smaller. start gradually by adding something like 5% on the core and memory, test it, if everything is ok add another 5% etc

take note of your temp, if you’re hitting 80C or you constantly freeze/see artifacts you’re too high.

Actually, how do you check the temp of your video card?

Also, by “artifacts” you mean those white out pixels, right?

EDIT: NVM about the temp thing, I see its.
It looks like its been around 49 - 52C

they don’t necessarily have to be white, they’re just general graphical writing errors kinda like garbage on the screen. example

Well, I clocked it up to at least 10% and the temp was about 3C hotter than usual.

before I was getting 49 - 53C, but with clock up I was getting 52 - 56C.
Each tested in 15 minutes of playing Oblivion.

The thing was… I saw a VERY little differences in performance (still got the same random loads, random frame drops, etc).
If its gonna be something this small from only 10%, I decided to just leave it at default.

Use ATITool (it works for Nvidia also) to find your max overclocks and scan for artifacts. As long as you’re not getting any artifacts and your temps are running below 80 degrees (70 degrees preferably), you should be fine. Remember that video cards can run at much higher temperatures than your CPU can.

Alright, I might check out ATITool.

The thing is, even after overclocking about 10%, it still gave me the same results and what not. Kind of made me wonder why I should even bother. At the same time, it seems like random loading new stuff times seem more like a RAM issue (I got 2 gig ram of DDR2, but the ram itself isn’t all that great for gaming, or so I’m noted).

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to add at least +0.1 of voltage to your PCI-E slot when clocking :wink: