Parrying supers

I’m somewhat new to SF3’s parrying system. I can parry normal moves and special moves without much of a problem, but I have difficulty parrying the close-up supers, like Chun-Li’s SAII. When do I first tap forward? I’ve tried guessing at various times during the blue-light-up phase and then afterwards, but never can consistently figure out when I should begin parrying. Is it just a matter of practice or is there some general tips to help me figure out the timing of the first hit in these supers?

Parrying supers like Chun’s, you must tap forward before the super animation starts. It might sound ridiculous but that is the way it goes.

Well, if you’re new to 3S, you’ve got a lot more important things to worry about than looking like daigo for the time being. I don’t mean this as a snide remark, but its true. Parrying supers is a very situational thing. It won’t be that often that you’re low life against chun li and she is trying to chip you.

In regards to your question, what redx said for Chuns. I’ve parried Kens SAIII right after the super flash. I’ve also parried chuns as it was coming at me if I’m not mistaken. It is such a short amount of time, its hard to really judge it. To my original point though. If you get your basics down and get really solid, you’ll be needing to parry fewer supers.

Oh, and the ‘easiest’ way for chuns is to wait for your opponent to bob down, then tap forward.

I’m mostly concentrating on the basics, but occasionally I work on parrying. I know it’s cliche to learn to parry Chun-Li’s super, but I just think it would be a cool thing to do sometime. I don’t intend on trying them during actual matches yet. Right now for matches, the most I do with parrying is jump-ins, projectiles, and occasionally parrying the last hit of a multi-hit move.

When you say “super animation” do you mean the moment that Chun-Li starts to move forward, or do you mean right when you see the blue-glow from activating the super? I’ll try parrying a little earlier than what seemed natural and see how that goes.

When someone does a super, they have to do two quarter circles forward. So basically, they will do a quick bobbing duck right before the super flash. When you see them do this little bob down, press foward, then there will be a super flash, then after that, chun will come flying at you. Even if you don’t imput anything again, you’ll still parry the first hit. After that first parry, you need to continue to parry the rest of that set. After the first set, you have enough time to counter attack. You can also continue to parry the second set, wait, then parry the last hit as well. Up to you.

Once again though, this isn’t fail safe. Players can easily mask their QCFs by doing the motions during another move.

I good idea (if you plan on pursuing this further) would be to go to parry training and see the timing of the parry imputs for yourself. Most supers have moves that basically succeed one another as quickly as possible, giving most moves in general the same parry rhythymn. Dudley’s Rolling Uppercut, for example, switches rhythmns after the first two hits (not to mention your opponent can simply stop mashing Punch, leaving you doing an empty parry attempt). But as it’s been stated, you’ll rarely need to do this. It is quite cool to see, though. Now blocking supers? Oh yeah, gotta learn that.