[PC] 120hz+ Monitors - Zero Blur

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Thought i’d post this here as I know many people are looking for the perfect monitor setup.</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>This is something I came across a few days ago. </div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>I’ll leave the link here for people to have a read. I have tried it out myself and it is simply amazing for games that hit 120fps (SSF4, QuakeLive, Counter-strike, Dota2, LoL, etc)</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>This is PC only sadly, but it is simply amazing. Take me back to the CRT days.</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/</span></font><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Have a read and try it out.</span></font></div>

Something to play with I guess.  But the SF4 PC engines are locked to 60 fps, you don’t normally get any advantage on 120hz aside from the inherent lower frame latencies.  Is it a 3d capable game?<br>

Yeah it’s 3d capable with nVidia cards, not sure about ATI. Damn that sucks, I never realized that SSF4 PC was lock at 60fps on PC. Guess it has to be due to links etc. Sadly, this trick won’t work for that then, you really need to hit 120ish Fps to see the benefit.<div>Oh well, it looks great in QuakeLive, CS etc. Not that I play much of either.</div>

Interesting.  <br><br>Since SSF4 is locked to 60 fps in console/PC.  Will using a 120hz monitor add input lag to SF4?<br>

It wouldn’t add any lag over comparable monitors.  It would still display slightly faster in 120hz mode due to having twice as many frames accessible.<br>

I was wondering about this too. Sf4 supports variable frame rate mode. Would this allow for play at 120hz? Has anyone actually tried sf4 on a 120hz refresh?

I will check tonight. Dunno if its truly locked at 60… for many games “locked” there is a workaround.

Just tested for a bit at 75hz. It appears to work fine in window mode (still 60fps at 75hz). But forces 60hz in full screen. Would have to lock the monitor into desired refresh for full screen to test it. Don’t feel like doing that now unless someone can point me to the easy mode tools for locking monitor refresh rates.

If the SF4 benchmark app is any indication, going faster than 60fps would cause the game to play like somebody pushed a fast-forward button. The game’s animations and move properties are set to animate for a set amount of frames - you need a locked, constant framerate to get the game the developer intended. This isn’t a first person shooter where animations for play the same amount of time regardless of framerate.

Great news. A person by the name ToastyX has created an easy to use, automated tool called strobelight, that will activated lightboost on capable monitors. It even works on AMD cards.

You can download Strobelight here: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Strobelight-LightBoost-Utility-for-AMD-ATI-and-NVIDIA
The program is current in BETA. It will likely come with bugs.

It basically configures the monitor refresh rates on the PC to enable lightboost at 120hz and 100hz. It also supports hotkeys for changing the lightboost brightness level. I been using it for a day on my AMD and ASUS VG248QE combo.

The combination of 120hz and lightboost on the ASUS VG248QE and BenQ XL2411T (same panel) is practically lag free and the absolute fastest gaming experience possible today (virtually no input lag and absolutely no ghosting). Of course it works on any lightboost capable monitor. But the two mentioned are the best options.

I was playing street fighter in window mode yesterday to take advantage of the 120hz mode and it was a lot better (I used 1080p window and moved it to to as close to the centre as I could get). I noticed when Ibuki does here command dash, you can clearly notice the pattern of the her ghost which I never saw in such detail on the evo monitor.