PC:AE game slows down with fraps recording or youtube in the background

I would like to record some of my saved matches but running fraps slows down the game. Actually running it is fine but once I hit the record button the game goes to hell. Having a youtube video in the background does the same thing, does anyone know what is wrong?

Think about what fraps is doing. It is capturing a screen of video and compressing that to your hard drive. depending on your resolution of capture and Frames per second, it will bog down your computer because CPU and Ram wise, that is asking a lot. Try bumping down the resolution of capture, or upgrade your computer.

It would help if you listed your computer specs.

Virtualdub is less resource intensive

Welcome to real time Screen Captures with a High Resource demanding Game

Fraps will impact fps on even the fastest rigs… Try recording without sound or reducing the framerate…

Or output to a separate capture computer/device…

Or try that other app that guy mentioned :slight_smile:

I think that’s normal. I get some lag when recording fraps as well, even though I have a GTX 580 / core i7 860 / 8GB DDR3 RAM

I tried Virtual Dub but apparently it can’t record videos directly from my computer screen unless I have a separate capture device… which I don’t lol. So does this mean that I won’t be able to record my replays?

If it is of any help here’s my system info:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 1741MB used, 4398MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5670

You have what would be considered a mid range computer. You should be able to run the newest games fine, but adding capture on top of that and that kind of rig won’t keep up.
Try lowering the resolution of your game to 720x480 windowed or something along those lines. If you intend to upload to youtube, you dont need HD.

Okay, I’m going to try that now but before I do, any idea why the game slows down when I have youtube in the background?

Because the Flash plugin that Youtube uses is a horrible piece of software in terms of using up too many resources.

I see… well it’s good to know that all this is not entirely my fault lol. I just tried downing the resolution and seems to be working now. Thanks for all the help. :slight_smile:

You might give the YouTube HTML5 beta a try. http://www.youtube.com/html5