Playing Defensive Shoto's

gen

Fella’s (and i guess ladies)
I’m having alot of issues in the G-1 rank matches agains highly defensive shoto’s. They start to time my poke game out by round 2 and its over from there. I can’t jump in because they bait with lp-hodoken and dp if i jump. They will poke me out with cr.forward and bait my standing forward and punish with dp. Thoughts?

The most important thing is to stay grounded and not jump unless you know it’s safe. I usually poke them with mk hands (mk hands) because even on block it puts good pressure on them. I would also avoid being in crane mode too much unless you have a clear oppertunity to cross up your opponent, unless you want to get srk’ed.
Once you’re in it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. j.mk cross up is risky though, since at best it trades with shoryuken.

If I had to summarize my playstyle with this kind of opponent it would be: offensively defensive. Meaning that I try to stay close to them but do not actually do much myself and rely on baiting their srk’s and whatnot.

You really have to out footsie them. Your st. forward goes farther than their cr. forward. So try to punish their cr.fowards. Don’t rush in there, time it out and punish all jump in’s.

So what exactly do defensive shotos do for damage output? Do they just have a life lead on you and are blocking/teching everything? What exactly are you doing that’s getting beaten?

I don’t think crane stance is a bad idea. If he’s keeping you out with fireballs, you can get in with EX roll, or normal Oga. Defensive players require a lot of patience to crack, but that makes the W so much more rewarding.

If you can ID you’re fighting a defensive player early in the match, you’ll be in a good position mentally, because you will know you have to rush him down, and go for a lot of throws. Defensive players using shotos will eventually whip out a DP when they feel most threatened, and I guess it’s a matter of feeling when that time will be.

Truth be told, people going into a match with a defensive mindset, are more likely to lose. They’re the types who don’t have a feel for how they’re supposed to play, so they don’t play how they’re supposed to play. Good players know to be offensive when the time is right and defensive when the time is right.

Throwing Seth into the mix here, I know if he’s in a state to chip me to death with sonic booms, because he still has an ultra, then I probably can only reflect on the match and consider what I did wrong so I don’t get in that position again.