Playing in HD?

Now I know this may be poorly received by some of the elitists, but I thought it’d be an interesting question to ask.

Many games nowadays are DESIGNED in HD (generally 720p) for PS3/360. Since this is an FG community I’ll use BBCS as an example. A lot of BB players say that HD is the way to play, as in 4:3 sections of the screen are actually cut off, and it was built to run at 720p anyways so why not run it at that?

Now I was wondering if, even in the case of games like BB that were designed for 720p, this would add some delay due to it almost certainly running at lower FPS?

Also, was SSF4 designed in SD or HD? And is playing it in HD a good or bad thing?

The main reason I’m wondering this is because I just purchased a new 1080p HDTV (don’t worry I won’t even be attempting to play anything at 1080p), and I pretty much only play SSF4/BBCS nowadays with a little MW2 with buddies once in awhile. I don’t want to constantly be switching between 720/480 when I’m playing BBCS/SSF4 and MW2 respectively, so if SSF4 can be played in HD that’ll resolve that problem (I play MW2 so infrequently it’s not an issue).

EDIT: Would playing in 720p on a 1080p TV create additional lag since the TV itself is not 720p in it’s native resolution?

It’s all about whether or not the tv itself has high input lag. You can play in HD just fine, as long as you don’t have a laggy tv.
That said, when the tv has to do the upscaling, it usually adds lag. When the console does it, I THINK it adds a couple of milliseconds, but nothing noticable.
Also, fighting games are better played in their native resolution. SSFIV and BB are both coded at 720p. If you have a tv that is 1080p, have the console do the upscaling.

Just sayin’.

*Edit: There’s a thread in tech talk that covers this, but I’m on my iPhone, so linking is out of the question.

Thanks for the answer that cleared everything up, I just wanted to address the last part of this specific section directly.

I don’t really understand what you mean by have the console do the upscaling. If I’m hooked up using an HDMI cable and have it set to a 720p resolution, is that not both the 360 and the games’ (in the case of BB/SF at least) native resolution, and therefore no upscaling would be taking place? More downscaling on the part of the TV?

I don’t know all that much about HDTVs, but my only concern is that there would be some issues due to playing at a 720p resolution on a 1080p TV.

Well, you have it set at 720p, your TV is 1080p, it’s upscaling it. Unless the TV has the ability to display a resolution in less than full screen, it is pushing that lower resolution signal up to 1080i. It’s literally making that smaller picture big enough to fill the screen. When it does that, it does a bunch of processing to make sure that it doesn’t look like shit. The console can do this without any real processing.

NOW, since you are connecting via HDMI, you would have the best chances of not having much lag even doing display upscaling. Myself? I use a VGA cable, so I play on my computer monitor at the monitor’s native resolution and let the console upscale it for me to prevent lag.

hdmi won’t have lag?

Lag is all relative to the TV. Some HDTVs are worse than others. Certain inputs/ resolutions are worse than others. It’s all just stuff you have to research prior to purchasing the TV. Street Fighter is designed to run at 720p, but if your TV has a native resolution of 1080p, then set your console to display at 1080p. The closer to the TV’s native resolution, the better. I have a 1080p Panasonic plasma, but am using component cables running 720p. It looks fantastic and doesn’t lag at all (that I can notice) but I can’t say the same for other brands/ models.

HDMI is a digital connection so the chance of any real lag is reduced even further.

Hmm…yes. yes indeed.

is it safe to say pretty much all newer tvs cause some kind of lag compared to olders ones which dont have input lag?

I can help you with one thing: SFIV was played on an HD screen in the arcade, it’s meant to be played in HD in the widescreen resolution.

[quote=“KaliniuS, post:6, topic:108442”]

Lag is all relative to the TV. Some HDTVs are worse than others. Certain inputs/ resolutions are worse than others. It’s all just stuff you have to research prior to purchasing the TV. Street Fighter is designed to run at 720p, but if your TV has a native resolution of 1080p, then set your console to display at 1080p. The closer to the TV’s native resolution, the better. I have a 1080p Panasonic plasma, but am using component cables running 720p. It looks fantastic and doesn’t lag at all (that I can notice) but I can’t say the same for other brands/ models.

Snap,

I’m running a Panny set up too; 50 inch TXP50G10 plasma connected to the PS3 via HDMI. I used to pratice arcade stick drills on the bedroom tv which is a 32 inch 1080i LCD Samsung and couldn’t understand why when people came over to play I was missing all kinds of links on the Panasonic. I’ve only recently realised that the awful lag of my Samsung was completely throwing off my timing on the Panny which is almost completely lagless - supposed to be 2ms if you can believe that! Now I play and practice exclusively on the Panny, so long as I can get the tv from time to time from the missus!

I would like to replace the Samsung with another ‘lagless’ set up so I can practice in the bedroom at times when I cant get the living room TV but money’s an issue right now so a 42 inch version of my current set up may be out of the question.

Frank

All modern displays have some lag, yes. Unlike crt’s. The amount of lag in lcd’s has been getting much better recently though (especially with some monitors).

Monitors are generally the lowest lag solution these days, or at least have been tested more extensively. Google the “evo monitor,” for a good one (it’s an Asus model).

Also, don’t sleep on Chinese brands. Some of them (Benq for instance) don’t use a lot of image processing in order to keep costs down. That often translates to low lag.