Playing more makes me worse

I’ve been playing SSF4 AE since it came out, and it feels that I’m not getting any better than the other versions. So, I tried playing hundreds of Ranked and Endless Matches on Xbox Live, and I don’t see an improvement. One Dudley player even purposely played turtle and PM’d me and told me I was pathetic and I should stop playing.

I want to get better, but do I have to play a million matches online just to get up to everyone else’s level?

Playing a lot is only one part of getting good as SF. Watching replays of your character in high-level play helps to figure out what you should be using because those particular combos are proven to be the most reliable/most damaging. Another tip I’d offer is to take a break from SF. If you play for long stretches at a time, your reflexes and reactions start to dull and you make obvious mistakes. Try playing another game and then go back. The basics are very important; Footsies, spacing, and character match-ups. It may seem obvious, but they can be forgotten sometimes.

It doesn’t help that turtles can be tough to beat, so don’t let it get to you too much.

you wont see any improvement until you know what specifically youre trying to improve upon.

pick a top tier

Why did you lose?

Because obviously everyone is better than I am. Everything is wrong with my game:
Poor execution
Poor footsies
No game plan
Can’t defend even the simplest jump-in
Poor wake-up
Mentally drained from losing 60 of last 62 matches

It just feels like every time I move the joystick, or press even the quickest attacks, I get hit by a 6-7 combo that will usually dizzy, then the round is over. And there’s nothing I can do about it.

So, how am I supposed to get better when everything I do is wrong!?

Well, in that case, try to learn your options, is not about what is quickest but what is safer, by example shoryuken are fast and invincible at start up but leaves your ass open if you whiff it so you only must use it when you know is going to hit like inside combos, punishing bad jumps or low recovery moves.

Which is your main character? Stick with just one for the moment, is harder to learn changing because even similar characters like Ryu and Evil Ryu have totally different properties of move recoveries and linking and is like learning to play a trumpet and a sax at once.

Training mode. Period.

Go online… but only after training mode and Domination 101/Sonic Hurricane articles on footsies.

Domination 101/Sonic Hurricane articles.

Practice turtling. No. Seriously.

Gogo character-specific guides, but learn to play safe and gauge your opponents rather than just doing “the best wakeup option.” The best option is almost always situationally determined.

Perspective is everything in improvement. It’s hard to get past thinking that winning is the best way to gauge improvement in skill; true, the better you are, the better chance you have of winning, but nobody goes from scrub to Daigo overnight, and if you look only at win/loss ratio, you’re gonna get discouraged. Think positive and set achievable goals other than simply winning matches.Start with combo practice. Pick one or two combos and practice the crap out of them (from both sides) until you can do them successfully five times in a row. Then do it again, but go for ten times in a row. Add a new combo. Build up your skills in tangible ways (though, of course, combos aren’t the only important thing; they’re just easier to gauge than, for example, successful blocks against jump-ins). Worry about improvement rather than raw score.

It ain’t easy. It’s taken me time to break from the “GOTTA WIN! NOTING ELSE MATTERS!” mentality. It’ll sure help you improve if you can get out of that mindset, though. You’ll enjoy your time more, your outlook will become more positive, and, in the long run, you’ll become a much more competent and successful fighter.

+1 to everything CaoSlayer said, too.

Subscribe to my youtube channel as I’m about to make a tutorial series you may find useful.

So, I have to spend about 1000 hours in training mode before I go online!?

Ideally yes. But not absolute.
Meaning - go online to perfect one strategy. Be it Anti-air 90% of all jump ins, execute your BnB each time you hit confirm, practice your post-knockdown mixups, block all attacks post knock down, tech all throws, play a pure ground game, stop yourself from mashing under pressure, etc… it can be anything but winning. Winning is a bonus, but it should not be your focus.

If you focus on winning without solid fundamentals you will make all sorts of mistakes. Everyone in this thread so far has been very constructive, do take their suggestions into account.

Don’t take all negative comments to heart either. Luckily my competition is from Singapore/HK/Japan so I don’t need to put up with that shit.

Most of these can be trained using training mode.

Execution is pretty much a no-brainer. Figure out your character’s BnB’s and punish combos and practice them first against an autoblock dummy, and then record the dummy doing something punishable and then unleash your best combo. eg. Figure out your best options after a blocked DP, or sweep, or blocked Blanka ball etc. You can also practice combos against the AI in training mode, but make sure that your goal is to only land specific combos, rather than to beat the AI. Execution is one of those things you don’t ever stop practicing.

Footsies, and least in terms of whiff-punishment and countering other normals can also be practiced in training mode. Record the dummy walking back and forth and sticking out a low medium kick (for example) and try to punish it on reaction. Mix it up by letting the dummy stick out low light kicks or jabs and just randomly crouching into nothing. If you want to learn which of your normal moves beat another character’s moves then just have the dummy spam a certain move and you can which moves you can use to beat it. For the baiting aspect of footsies, read Maj’s footsie handbook as mentioned before. Try to understand the concepts first, and if possible setup a situation in training mode so that you can see if and how it applies to your character.

For “game plan” related stuff it pretty much boils down to match-up knowledge. Different character’s require different approaches. Browse your character’s sub-forum on SRK for info. Also, if there’s something about a match that’s part troublesome, set up a similar situation in training mode using the record function and try to figure out how to beat or work around it. eg. If you have trouble blocking Balrog’s EX Overhead punch, record it in training mode and figure out how to avoid/counter/punish it.

To practice anti-air options, you can use the same setup for whiff-punishment, but also let the dummy do a jump in occasionally. This way you can train yourself to react to ground and air attacks. Remember to change the recording sequence often to make sure that you’re reacting to the moves and not the sequence you recorded. You can also just let the dummy jump in from different distances with various attacks to check which moves you can use to beat the jump in. To practice cross-up defense, let the dummy throw you and then cross you up and finish off with a blockstring that starts with a low move and ends in a throw. Learn to defend against the entire sequence and remember to change the recording often.

When it comes to wakeups, your best bet is to just block low, and prepare to tech a throw. Occasionally you want to try backdashing, and if your character has a reversal that can be FADC’d, then you may want to use that as well when you have enough meter. Once you become good enough to know what your opponent’s options are at certain distances, you’ll also want to start using jumping as either a defensive, or even offensive option on wakeup. This is best learned through experience because it’s one of those things you can just get a feel for. (Certain characters also have reasonably safe escape options eg. teleport so keep that in mind)

Finally, losing 60 out of 62 games is nothing, IF you manage to learn something from the experience and then work on improving. The next time you lose heavily, watch your replays and try to figure out what you did wrong and/or what you could have done better. eg. If you notice you lost most of your life because you kept getting anti-aired, then make a mental note that you should stop jumping. Or if kept getting thrown then work on evading/teching throws. If you just keep making the same mistakes over and over though, it’s going to take much longer to improve.

it’s going to take a lot of practice. You didn’t expect to be pro level in just under 2 weeks did you?

Improving your game requires far more than mashing buttons and hoping to eventually seize a victory.

My best suggestion for you is to lurk the forums, know your tapes and review your footage from a critical and analytic perspective.

If you’re willing to donate the time and effort in addition to having a genuine interest in fighting games themselves, then it’s virtually impossible to NOT improve.

lets play ill help you get better buddy same name for my XBL as on here i can help with footsies and game plans and over all get you into this game. i feel some of this is caused by your negativity and i can talk to you more one on one in XBL hit me back!

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? I will say this though. Don’t focus yourself too much online. There are tons of things and stupid tactics done online that can’t be done offline. My suggestion is find more local players. If you can’t find any people that have already been playing locally then rope one of your friends into it. Chances are if you try to get a couple of your friends into playing the games at least one of them will take it seriously, practice, and level up along side of you. Also as stated before don’t really concern yourself with winning this early on. Just focus on improving yourself and your technique as well as learning more about the game you play in general. I remember a friend of mine bodied me 100-0, I didn’t know what I was doing, and I got incredibly discouraged. Eventually I just generally stopped giving a shit about winning and impressing other people and only wanted to get better for myself as well as to truly learn the game. Needless to say as soon as I adopted this mentality and went into the lab with my new character I saw significant results over time. Long story short here’s some tips that could help you out.
Learn your character
Stick to said character until you feel that he/she is solid
Learn Match ups
Lurk the fuck out of this forum
Be open minded(IE if someone better than you gives you some advice you should probably take it.)
Take every match as a learning experience regardless of the outcome
GRIND TRAINING MODE!!!
Participate in your local fighting game community if you can and stay away from online matches for awhile.(Not sure how to go about this? Chances are your local community of semi serious-serious players go to this forum.)
Also take every piece of advice in this thread to heart. No one is telling you anything wrong. Have you noticed throughout this entire thread no one yelled at you and called you a scrub? The advice here is golden and will do nothing but help you. After awhile you can hop back online and gauge your progress by seeing how many people online haven’t progressed. I swear in the last few days of SSFIV I was bodying people left and right because they didn’t know how to down block(This ranged from D to B ranked players). Also keep in mind that this is a time consuming process.

I would like to say Thank You. I know that this is not my thread but I was going to write a similar question to what KGershkoff just asked and I am really glad I decided to click on this thread and read all your comments. It help me figure out what I need to focus on and practice myself because I am super new to Super Street Fighter 4 as in I just bought the game a week ago, and I was at the point where I wanted to quit and go back to marvel because I got bodied on line alot and got alot of messages from players who beat me saying I should quit. After reading what everyone told KGershkoff it is nice to know there are players out there who want to help better new players. So once again thank you. Also if you want to play online just to help me out or just to play my Playstation Network name is My_Last_Fantasy.

Till this day I cannot even begin to grasp why is it that players online do that? Do they enjoy killing off the growth and interest in the game they love playing? The FGT needs expansion and new blood as much as ever to keep this tradition flowing.

Just a little tip, I noticed this while upping my game in Beatmania IIDX and SF alike.
I stopped playing for 2 weeks.
Beatmania IIDX I just left alone.
SFIV I spent the whole time I would be playing, watching tourney videos.
Instead of being so focused on the game, I could concentrate on the match, and think about why each person was doing what they were doing, and things that happened became a lot clearer.
Next time I played online I felt refreshed and I started winning a bit more, but more importantly, I felt less frustrated from my losses.

PS. Yes you have to lose a lot to get better.