Playing more than 1 fighting game competitively?

What is the general consensus about playing more than 1 fighting game on the tourney level?

I recently got into sf4 but I play the smash series competitively as well. It is pretty hard to keep at the top of my game in both melee and brawl at the same time and I have seen myself play considerably worse in one or the other at certain times. It is really hard to consistently practice at both but I somehow made it work and practiced a reasonable amount of time at both each day. It just seems impossible to do it with sf4 in the mix though, and the more I try to play all 3 the worse I seem to be getting. The concentration that I was able to put into brawl at a time when it was the only one I played is impossible to do with all 3.

What do you guys think? Is the only way to get to a high level to concentrate on 1? I love all 3 but damn…I just dont know how Ill be able to play at the level I want to with all of them. Trying to play brawl and melee alone was hard enough and Ive heard that people have to practice atleast 3 hours a day in sf to maintain there top form.

Ask Daigo.

Daigo’s a pro at every SF, and he’s not too shabby at GG, either.

go back to smash

You got any Brawl matches on youtube?

What exactly do you mean by tourney level?

When I go to a tourney, I never enter less than 5 different games. Maybe I won’t get top three in more than one, but I hardly ever go 0-2. I usually end up in the middle somewhere.

Wasn’t he a beast in VS as well?

I’ve taken note of this phenomenon myself, but I don’t fully understand it. I don’t think what I think is the general consensus, but since there’s players that CAN do it, I doubt that matters.

The idea I have in mind is that when you play the different games, you create profiles in your mind specifically to handle each game separately. You can get a really good idea on how to do this if you swtch between them back and forth IMMEDIATELY. Like, play a few rounds of Brawl then a few of Melee. You’ll know you’re doing it right when you feel like you’re really getting into the groove.

I’m decent at doing this so long as I play all the games involved. it’s a bit of a challenge

edit: Saying or thinking to yourself “Okay, I’m going to play <game> now.” really helps. I don’t get why.

I play like 2 and a half.

For me I just play the ones I have the most fun with. Then if I notice that I am decent at them then I get serious.

Just do what you want, but drop Brawl. Play Melee thats the best. :tup:

I say half because I play 3s competiviely, its just that its dead around here.

^ Yah, good post.

Just like pretty well everything else in life, you can get better at switching between games by practicing doing exactly that. The more you do it, the more your brain will highlight the differences between them, and it will take you less and less time/thought/effort to adjust or transition between them each time. The games will quickly become completely separate entities in your mind and you will no longer feel confused or suffer any hindrance of your skills in one game due to recent time spent in another.

(Even better, this mental compartmentalization does not hinder but rather actually helps you transfer your experience between games more easily; instances of applicable similarity become will increasingly clear.)

Of course, complete negligence of one game for an extended period of time will still leave you susceptible to normal “rustiness.” The other side to this coin though is that, once again, you can become better at shaking off rust or simply not letting your abilities slide downhill during long hiatuses by–yup you guessed it–practicing it. The more you’ve set down a game for a while and then come back to it, the quicker and more easily it will come back to you!

Hope that helps. :smile:

i used to not transfer well between games but

i am currently taking 4 games seriously

tvc bb meltyblood and garou. and am trying to take sf4 seriously

ill get used to it, and practice the games close to equally.

really i dont know how this will work out but ill see if i can pull it off.

This should help you.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174011

I’m a believer that playing multiple games help your game overall. Playing a game like Super Turbo will help you with getting timing down in other games, playing Marvel or Guilty Gear will help you react better to more slower paced games, and playing any traditional fighter will be able to transfer faster than someone who has never played any, or only at a casual level.

Anyone can play multiple games, some play as much as 20, but if you are talking about being a top player in each multiple game (and when I say top player, I’m talking about a world level, not local, regional, or even national), I think there is a limit to how many games at a time that you can play. Justin Wong is probably the best example; He is the best ever at MvC2, one of the best at CvS2, 3s, very solid at ST, and also good in other games. Some of the “fringe” games that Justin has won tournaments for are GarouMOTW, KOFXI, KOF98, NGBC, TvC, Alpha games, and quite a few others. Justin can get away without playing those games much and winning or placing high in tournaments in pretty much anywhere in the world, except where it is played the most (usually Japan). If Justin were to go to Japan to play any of these games, he would get destroyed (although with enough practice, I’m sure he’d be on an even footing); that is because not only is there more competition for those games, but they take it much more seriously than we do here.

You can use basics and fundamentals to carry you far in a game you don’t spend much time in, but there is a limit, and if you want to get to the next level, you are going to have to delve into it. Many of the Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Latin America, etc, usually stick to one game (or just the brand of the game, example: VF, Tekken, Guilty Gear). The Japanese players that you see playing multiple games, I think there is a good reason for that.

Let’s take Daigo for example, Daigo is well known for being very good at multiple games, and I believe he has been playing competitively since 1995. The games that he has played are:

Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Guilty Gear XX
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior

I might be forgetting a game, but that is 11 games over the span of 14 years, which is close to playing 1 game a year.

How about we look at Nuki, who IMO is more diverse (not necessarily better, but its arguable), and has been playing about the same time Daigo has:

Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter IV
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior
Virtua Fighter 4
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned
Virtua Fighter 5

That’s about 15 games in a 15 year span, which is 1 game per year on average. I would think that most Japanese players that are known for playing multiple games at a high level would follow this as well (Tokido, Mago, RF, Kndevu).

Now, let’s look at an American player, Alex Valle in his prime (around 1996-2002):

Capcom vs. SNK 2
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
SoulCalibur II???
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Giant Attack
Tekken 3
Tekken Tag Tournament
Virtua Fighter 3tb
X-Men vs. Street Fighter???

That’s about 2 games per year on average in that span.

I think as long as you stick to 1-2 games (per year), you should be able to have qualitative and quantitative results with them (a year for games is a long time). After that, since you’ve played those games so much, you already have the muscle memory, so you can go without playing the games for a long time, and still be good at it (although it might take a few matches to get up to where you were at before).

I’m open to criticism.

It’s not a phenomenon.

The players that can do it, are players that are either that much better than their competition, or they’re mediocre, negligent, or missing some other random parts of their lives.

Prove me wrong.

At this point it’s taken so much time and hard work to get to the level I have in SF2 that it seems very intimidating to try to get there again at another game.

I sometimes play other fighting games in competition, and might even get past the first round of a tournament, but I don’t really feel like I’m playing them on the same intellectual level of ST.

In ST and other SF2 games, I consider every move I make before I do so. It’s like the vaunted “chess match” that players refer to so much.

In games like SF3 or SF4 I just feel like pretending to play a lot of the time. Just either doing things that I know worked from other games, like bnb combos with Ryu, or gimmick tactics that are pale imitations of things I know other players do in the game.

I find it much more satisfying to concentrate on just SF2 at this moment and play the variations within it.

So, I do play multiple games in a sense. I can competively play HF, ST, and HD Remix. You can also throw the random AE match in there for fun.

I think juggling multiple games becomes easier once you are use to the genre. Since your execution/reading abilities can transfer fairly well from game to game.

With me this isn’t a big deal because only one game/fighting game has ever really given me that desire to become worthy at a competitive level, and that was third strike. Too bad I hoped on the bandwagon so late, but unless something worth my time comes along I won’t really care about other games…

My main point would be that you should find something you can truly put your all into. I think dedication to one thing is more admirable at least to me. I just like seeing someone be insanely good at that one thing because of their passion. You can see it when they play. Other top players that hop games don’t really give me that feeling.

Not to mention that putting your effort in one thing can allow you to obtain better results. That doesn’t mean you have to quit other games…cuz that’s pretty boring, but you can just put all the effort in one game, though. Like for example…I can’t watch more than 2 or 3 SFIV match videos without falling asleep, but I do it anyways just to at least understand the game better. With 3s though I can watch kuroda dvds as if they were blockbuster hits, though.

I guess I just admire those who do it for the love of that one game.

Get on GGPO!!!11111111 Lets play each other.

drax, listen to these words ^^^^^

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

sf4, mvc2, cvs2 w00t w00t

eh. with that, you’ve pretty much covered every single possibility there could be dude…

I used the word phenomenon because I have no idea how to recreate this consistently. I can do it, but I’m not sure how to guide others to do it. I assume that because I can do it, any other person who follows the same steps I did can do it

Living in an area that has little to no fighting game scene I can’t really say I play any game competitively but myself and the group of people I play with are currently playing SF4 a lot and we tend to take it pretty seriously.But lately I’ve found myself wanting to get back into ST, CvS2, and I’m looking for a decent port of Vampire Savior.

So if I had the chance to play in tournaments and such more often I’d probably sign up for all four despite SF4 being the only game I’m worth a damn at at the moment.

I’m strictly a Tekken player, but i am trying to further my game in general by learning SFIV & MVC2.

every fighting game is 99% the same. The 1% difference is the engine mechanics. Counter hits, reading your opponent and applying great counters, applying great strategy, matchup knowledge, reaction time, spacing in all its forms like defensive and offensive spacing, frame data knowledge, dexterity, execution level, hit box knowledge, etc… all of these fundamental tools can be applied to ANY fighting game.

FUNDAMENTALS!!! if you’re fundamentally sound, you should be able to play any fighting game @ a competent level.

thats how I see it @ least.