Portable Speakers?

So I’m planning on buying an Asus MS246H 23.6" LCD monitor which has been reported to have only 6.9ms of input delay.

The problem is that this monitor doesn’t have any built-in speakers, but it does have an audio out jack. This wouldn’t be a problem at all if I kept this monitor at home where I could just use my PC speakers.

But in the event where I would want to take the monitor around my house, to a friends place to play games on rather than his laggy TV, or to casual sessions/tournaments if they’re in need of another monitor, are there any good portable speakers or iPod speakers that anyone has experience with and would recommend?

I’m in the budget of up to $60 and I’m not expecting the best sound quality from them at that price but something that is at least decent with a good battery life would be great.

Another question, is it possible to use USB speakers on a PS3?

Are you set on getting the MS246H? You could get the VW246H instead.
Actually scratch that there’s about a 40 dollar difference.
(Well now that I think about it, if you have a 60 dollar budget for speakers, you could just get the VW246H instead.)

$60 dollars should be plenty for a pair of 2.0 speakers that will blow the stock speakers away off any LCD though.

I’ll take a look around.

Edit:
These might be perfect.

They use USB power so you can use your Console to power them. From the videos I watched the sound seemed decent, bass is kind of weak but it is just SF. Just look them up on Youtube.

The most portable speakers are headphones. Get a nice pair of stereo headphones that use a 3.5mm jack.

I’m looking for portable speakers not just for the monitor, but also for my laptop and possibly my iPod.

Those Altec Lansing speakers on Amazon definitely look interesting, although they wouldn’t work portably with my iPod. But the fact that they draw power from USB and use a separate cable for the audio would allow them to work on my PS3 with sound quality that will probably be a lot better than any battery powered speakers at that price.

I could also spend a little more money and buy an Asus monitor that has built-in speakers. The MS246H is lacking in many things that I could use, like a DVI port and a component video port. I’ve also heard that the plastic ring that it uses as a stand isn’t that great, but it is very light, slim, and has less than half a frame of input lag which are huge pluses for me.

A good pair of headphones would be perfect, for me. Not so much for a second person though.

I have the VW246H myself and I can vouch that it’s a great monitor. Saturation control on the monitor itself is a big plus for me because I <3 cranking digital vibrance on my GPU.

I use headphones myself, but I use an RCA female to 3.5mm male adapter and plug that into my soundcard line in. But when I go to a friends place and bring my 360/Monitor I just use the built in speakers which sound fine.

Oh the the VW246 has audio in, audio out and built in speakers. So you don’t have to go through the extent I do. I just use my line-in for audio post-processing and the convenience of not having to unplug my headphones and being able to listen to multiple sound inputs at a time.

I have the MS236H and it works great, no lag I can feel. I paired it with these speakers
FRYS.com?|?CREATIVE LABS

Its nice because the monitor has a 3.5mm jack, so if you connect your console via hdmi, the audio passes through to the speakers connected to the monitor.

Pretty much and 3.5mm speakers can work as long as youre using hdmi for audio as well.

Ring stand is not the best, but it does its job.