Potential gouken/progress thread

gouken

I am generally new to Streetfighter and am looking at prospective characters to pick up my at the top of my list at inspection is cammy and gouken ive been playin cammy but im still basic and havent touched gouken before
My main question is he worth playing for a new player is he a textbook one way character or a free flowing one?
And how difficult would you rate is execution to someone like cammy in terms of rushdown?
Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what and how good my options are

Honestly I’m a big fan of finding a character that you enjoy, either in playstyle or personality so I would think any character is worth it to a new player(even Ibuki and C. Viper, after all the sooner you start the better, building up experience is important). There are textbook ways to playing him, yet free flowing ones as well, but I think that could be said of any character, that’s more a player thing than character(in my humble opinion). Gamerbees shakeup at Evo and DSP’s(as angry a man as he can be, he had a point) video about tiers give much to ponder and really you should just go with what you enjoy :slight_smile:

Rating execution in terms of rushdown? I don’t know how to do that.

His execution is very simple and lots of combos give you plenty of time to do what you do, sadly his hitconfirms aren’t what a lot of the others can do. His main issue is overlapping commands, but they aren’t that problematic. Cammy is pretty simple too, but gets difficult when implementing the TKCS and her tight links for higher damage.

He’s got a fun rushdown(and not nearly as good as cammies, but thats what she does), but I use a more defensive style myself so others can better discuss that.

He’s not a high tier character and will take a lot of matchup knowledge to get him going well, but he is a lot of fun to play and though I do dally with a lot of characters I always fall back on the Old Master as he’s got a wicked style to him, especially when rocking the Alt 2 :smiley: (though I think all his costumes are fun). I look forward to another Gouken in the folds :smiley:

IMHO, Pick a character. Give them the time, dedication, and show the mental edurance. Then see how you do.

Gouken has lots of options on offense. Different branches of moves to lead to mixup and resets. Choices that keep a vortex going vs getting max damage… etc. On defense has has an answer to most everything, but his answers are all situational and character specific. I doubt anybody could really outline a “flowchart gouken” playstyle.

Gouken’s physical execution requirements are, in general, very low. However, knowing the when’s and why’s of his moves is of the upmost importance. He has a couple links that most people I’ve seen don’t even bother using. I’ve been playing a very rushdown focused gouken lately (on matchups where it makes sense), and execution is, by far, the least of my worries. It is much more matchup knowledge and mind games. In my opinion, Gouken’s rushdown is generally based on two things: reset mixups and getting a feel for when people will jump or poke so you can “psychic” fireball and kongo. Both of those are easy to do, but hard to know when to do.

I’ve seen people say that Gouken is not a character for newbies because of the high matchup knowledge requirements. But for me, by the third week or so of having the game and testing out the characters, I had decided that Gouken was “my guy”. I found the low execution requirements, huge damage potential, and “play the player” mentality of Gouken much more rewarding than any other character.

I agree with artificeren. I sort of co-main honda and gouken. They both have similar atributes: a fairly low execution barrier for basic BnB’s, high damage potential, and the requirement than you pay attention to your opponent.
As far as freeflowing, gouken has resets and opportunities to change things up a lot. Just look through the threads for options off of backthrow or ex-palm and you’ll see there’s plenty of room to make it up as you go along. You could probably go a whole game without reusing a single setup. That’s without even looking at FADC shennanigans off of palms or point blank fireballs. I’ve seen gouken played as everything from a rushdown/reset/pressure monster to a full out turtler. It’s really up to you, he’s got the tools if you know how to apply them.

today i attempted using gouken and ended up relying on backthrow ultra to win games lost quite a majority but im enjoying using him but the lack of knowledge i have is killing should i sit down and read till i know everything or got to the battle and learn it that way? I usually end up losing them switching back to my scrubby cammy pulling a very close win or just losing rediculously

For general strategies, read up on the safe flip, vortex, backthrow guide, and ultra setup threads. There are two main matchup threads, which you’ll need to at least read for the matchups you are having trouble with.

I think you’ll get the most out of the Gouken Videos thread. I know I did. Especially keep an eye out for Raunwyn’s vids where he commentates on "first to ten"s with his Gouken vs all the vanilla cast. Of course, the older stuff has more basic strats… the character was brand new at the time.

Don’t feel too bad, especially at first, about relying on backthrow/ultra. As the match gets closer to the end, many players will start doing more risky things hoping for the mind-game win. As you starting being able to hang with better players, they’ll do that less, but by then you’ll have the tools to not need that punish as much.

For general strategies, read up on the safe flip, vortex, backthrow guide, and ultra setup threads. There are two main matchup threads, which you’ll need to at least read for the matchups you are having trouble with.

I think you’ll get the most out of the Gouken Videos thread. I know I did. Especially keep an eye out for Raunwyn’s vids where he commentates on "first to ten"s with his Gouken vs all the vanilla cast. Of course, the older stuff has more basic strats… the character was brand new at the time.

Don’t feel too bad, especially at first, about relying on backthrow/ultra. As the match gets closer to the end, many players will start doing more risky things hoping for the mind-game win. As you starting being able to hang with better players, they’ll do that less, but by then you’ll have the tools to not need that punish as much.

thanks artificeren im leaning more towards maining him as soon as i get better ill watch vids also which should i go with U1 or U2 and are which gouken vids should i watch could i possibly get links? many thanks again

choice of ultra is both a matchup and playstyle decision. Gouken is a character with 2 equally valid ultras. I’m actually still on vanilla sf4 (PC player), so I can’t give you much more than what I’ve read from others. From what I understand, Denjin is generally the better choice against characters that are difficult to get a backthrow on. Also might be a good choice against low-stun-level characters. Shinsho is the better choice for getting that max damage punish, and as a general mindgame. Never underestimate the ability of shinsho to completely demoralize the opponent :slight_smile:

as for vid links…
Here’s raunwynn’s youtube channel, but you’ll have to dig to find the first-to-ten’s I was talking about
YouTube - raunwynn’s Channel

Desora is a very good and well known Gouken, so you can search for those as well.

But really… just go to the sticky’d Videos thread, start from the last page and work yourself back.

choice of ultra is both a matchup and playstyle decision. Gouken is a character with 2 equally valid ultras. I’m actually still on vanilla sf4 (PC player), so I can’t give you much more than what I’ve read from others. From what I understand, Denjin is generally the better choice against characters that are difficult to get a backthrow on. Also might be a good choice against low-stun-level characters. Shinsho is the better choice for getting that max damage punish, and as a general mindgame. Never underestimate the ability of shinsho to completely demoralize the opponent :slight_smile:

as for vid links…
Here’s raunwynn’s youtube channel, but you’ll have to dig to find the first-to-ten’s I was talking about
YouTube - raunwynn’s Channel

Desora is a very good and well known Gouken, so you can search for those as well.

But really… just go to the sticky’d Videos thread, start from the last page and work yourself back.

did a session with him definately liking him alot more
Learning how demoralizing it is to whiff U1
but i will do alot more research and playing cos ive been slacking off a bit and am behind in experience in streetfighter in general

Play more endless or even CPU with hardset difficulty… Play against entire cast one by one, even against Gouken himself…
Don’t bother abt ranking at the moment… If u need to, play against the same skills… Don’t let unfamiliarity demoralize u…
Enjoy the journey, mate

i’m a new gouken too (also new to SRK) and in the same boat as the OP. i decided last week that gouken will my co-main with balrog as i wanted to pick up a non-charge character and also someone with decent amount mix-up/reset options (balrog has none). my first bunch of matches were really disappointing - i halved my Player points from 1100 to 500 in about 20 matches. basically i struggle with characters that move around the screen alot such as vega, blanka and guy, but others i tend to just hold up a fight.

im gonna gut it out and stick with him - i hope it will pay off soon.

Today i have an endless with a friend… His Gouken has only 240 BP, mine is at B rank. But so what, he taught me a lesson of how to play Gouken…
He trashed me, and played Gouken perfectly… Perfect means maximise every possible openings with deadly combo… I realized I lost a lot of opportunities hit big damages to my opponents…
Realized those points in ranking means nothing if we cant learn our mistakes or weaknesses to further improve…

Wow, looks like all the real Gouken players have completely bailed.

So, yeah. Great theoryfighter advice.

Wow, looks like you have nothing to contribute.

So, yeah. Great empty douchenozzle post.

That attitude is what will separate the good players from the great ones.

And as long as you keep learning, then you are on the right path.

ive been sucking hard still but ill keep on trying for a week and see if my effort is being rewarded