Predicament: dual modding a PS3 HRAP, or trading/selling arcade sticks?

Hey guys, I’m kind of in a bind. I’m a PS3 player with a HRAP 3 SA, and most of my friends are 360 players, so with the release of MvC3, I wanted to hop on the 360 bandwagon. Problem is, I’m having a tough time deciding how to approach this “sticky” situation. Haha. Ha.

I’ve been deliberating over the options I have, trying to figure out what would be the best option in moving over to the 360, and I’m kind of intimidated. I was looking for guides on how to dual-mod and the best one that seemed to suit me was this one:

OzHadou • View topic - Dual modding a Hrap3 for ps3 and x360 (lots of images)

The guy, like me, has a PS3 HRAP stick, and after taking apart this stick myself to see what I’d need to do, it looked identical to the guide. The problem is that I never soldered anything in my life, and this is an expensive piece of equipment, so the last thing I want to do is accidentally bust it.

If I were to go for it, I have a standard wired 360 controller that’s legit, not the cheap MadCatz ones, and I keep hearing about “common ground” controllers, which I don’t quite understand. Would I be able to use that controller to dual mod with? Thing looks like a beast to take apart, too, so I’d probably need a special screwdriver for it. If it won’t work, then that means I’d have to buy a Madcatz controller, a decent soldering iron, a DPDT switch, and some wires, which would probably end up being $30-40 in the long run. Keep in mind that even though I’m dual-modding this, it’s my full intention of getting out of the PS3 scene and only gaming on 360.

The other option, it looks like, is to eBay my HRAP 3 SA and buy a new 360 stick. I was looking at the FightStick TE S, since those look slick, but it runs at $150 from Amazon for the black one, and others seem to look like they’re on backorder. One place seems to have it for an oddly low price:

MadCatz SS4473840MA2/02/1 Official Super Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition S Gaming Pad for Xbox 360 -Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Never heard of them before though, and despite having tons of good reviews, they read like recycled ads, so I’m not sure. The model number pulls up two different sticks so it seems too good to be true. The other option was to hop on that Kayane deal but the 360 Round 2 TE’s are on back-order.

My final option is to just go ahead and sell off everything for the PS3, save up, and wait for the next major tourney for some major deal to hit and suffice with a controller in the meanwhile, but before I resort to that, I wanted to get an opinion. I’m personally just looking for the most cost effective way of getting a sanwa stick on the 360 relative to reliability, and seeing if anyone knows anything I’m not aware of (like HRAP 3SAs still being valuable enough to sell, some trade/sale that would do the job, or even a method of dual-modding that would be free of any soldering headaches for a PS3 stick).

If any of you have some info or advice to spare, I would be infinitely grateful.

I’d sell it. You can easily sell a good condition HRAP SA on here for $90-100 shipped as long as you have all the original parts, box, etc.

Then you could upgrade to a TE or VXSA and dual mod it to work with a 360 and ps3. Both are great sticks and high quality, they have cable storage too!

I’d sell it. You can easily sell a good condition HRAP SA on here for $90-100 shipped as long as you have all the original parts, box, etc.

Then you could upgrade to a TE or VXSA and dual mod it to work with a 360 and ps3. Both are great sticks and high quality, they have cable storage too!