Priority and EX Tornado

rufus

So, I was playing a match against a friend’s chun (I’m not a rufus main btw) and I was in chip range, but so was he. I was at the opposite end of the stage and so he did a kikoken fadc to chase it. I couldn’t really take the chip from the kikoken + the inevitable hazanshu that would come while i was in block stun and i knew he was ready to antiair me. So, I did an EX tornado in hopes that its high active frames would be enough to catch her as she finishes her dash to end the round.

That’s where things got interesting. Even though Chun Li was in front of the kikoken when I activated EX tornado, the suction canceled out the kikoken but did not suck in Chun. I expected her to be sucked in and kill her before the fireball got to me, but that’s not what happened. This happened again in the next match.

Now as rufus mains, you guys probably know about this property of EX tornado, but for me it raised an interesting little technical point. Everyone always says street fighter doesn’t have priority, just active frames, invinc frames, etc. that make it seem like it. While this is a valid argument for 99% of the stuff in the game, I think EX tornado is a clear example of a move where cancelling a projectile is prioritized over vacuuming a person, especially since when this happened to me, chun was in front of the kikoken both times, so she shoudl have felt the effects of the tornado before the kikoken was cancelled.

Come to think of it, Hakan’s EX slide is another example. Have you guys ever noticed when hakan ex slides, it’s really slow EXCEPT WHEN IT CAN PUNISH. In which case it goes surprisingly quick and gets the punish. I mean, that’s not priority per se, but it is something that breaks the normal rules of street fighter.

Thoughts?

i don’t know anything bout that shit, but why didn’t you just use a normal GT?? it moves forward & busts fireballs…that’s what i do for Chun’s that trail their fireballs

I mean, I get it. I just wanted to try this out. What’s more important is the technical aspect and how it implies that street fighter DOES have priority, unlike what everyone else says.

or maybe it only affects 1 thing, since the fireball is in front it’s common sense that it would be the thing getting sucked in

ex GT’s first active bit is a full screen projectile that negates other projectiles, or, in the absence of a projectile, causes hit/blockstun and negative pushback (sucks in the opponent), then there’s a gap, then there’s the last, actual damaging part of the move.

you can see that the ‘projectile’ part of the move is not something that travels across the screen - it’s only active for 1 frame but it covers most of the screen. i guess in the instance that on a certain frame a projectile can either negate another projectile OR hit an opposing player, the game resolves it by negating the other projectile (in the same way that a throw will always beat an attack if resolved on the same frame and they’re both in range).

i wouldn’t really call it a priority thing. the game just treats projectiles differently from strikes (which are both in turn different from throws), so the game has to resolve it one way or another.

That’s fair and makes sense. Although if we phrase it that way, then its fair to say that throws have higher priority than attacks, since throws win if on the same active frame, and projectiles are higher priority than throws since they never have a hurtbox and are treated differently on moves such as EX GT and hakan ex oil dive

That’s fair and makes sense. Although if we phrase it that way, then its fair to say that throws have higher priority than attacks, since throws win if on the same active frame, and projectiles are higher priority than throws since they never have a hurtbox and are treated differently on moves such as EX GT and hakan ex oil dive