Progression into a better player

:nunchuck:sup guys, just wanted to post this thread to ask advice about progression towards becoming a better player…hopefully this thread will help out others like me, so here goes…first off, i only play ssf4 right now, main rog, and im currently at 1592pp/2994bp (for those of who feel like points dictate a persons playstyle) and with that i play a mixed bag of defense/offence with rog…now i dont wont to turn this into a “go to character thread” dada stuff but more off a guideline/advice to learning things…so the things that i feel quite good about my playstyle are my zoning, semi-good punishment, good meter management, and semi-good defense/offence…the bad things are my lack of matchup exp, antiairs :(, any yomi/oki game…now heres the question that i want to ask: is it time for me to start learning frame data, option selects, and frametraps?? or should i polish the basics/fundamentals to a glossy shine of perfection before moving on to these concepts…currently right now, im training for finalround 15, and my goal are to do better than what i did last year (tied for 127 place out of 319 players), play on the stream and against pro players in my pool, so that i can get comfortable handling pressure in high tense situations…so with that, what advice and guidelines can you guys give me?? thanks!! :china:

Why wouldn’t you be looking at frame data, or learning option selects and frame traps already?

Just keep playing. It doesn’t sound like you have a problem so I don’t know what kind of advice you’re looking for that isn’t gonna be something just pulled out of thin air.

Developing Matchup experience and working on the fundamentals you are struggling with, like antiairing, will probably give you the best results. That being said, with a character like Boxer you need to be able to hit all your maximum punishes to establish a life-lead, so looking at frame data to find out exactly where you can fit in jabs is a must. If anything, work out some frame traps and punishes for some common situations, like punishing people who jump out of tick throws.

Most importantly, try to go to a local scene and play against better players and in front of people. Online is something not everything.

Frame data is very confusing to me but I think I can understand with some time…like thinking of situations and plugging in the numbers to maximize the punish…the only os i know of are the basic crouch tech(cr.:lp:+ :lk:), for dive kicks i do modified (cr. :lp:+:lk:+:hp:) …frame traps are something completely new to mean…all i know about them is that its an os for players that crouch tech alot, and you do it to punish it…friend of my told me that you find a move with 3frames, and follow that with another move with similar frames or something, but in the end the two moves = 4 frames, with the last move punishing the crouch tech :frowning: then again im not sure about this explanation, but thats what he told me…i guess what im asking is, am I at a point where i should start exlporing these concepts, while making other things (fundamentals and antiairs) SOLID??

Im hoping that i can get down 75% of my matchups within 2.5 months until finalround…nothing beats the tournament atmosphere :looney: right now i feel like my mu knowledge is at 30-45%…ive been going to the character columns asking for sparring partners too so you guys dont have to reference that lol Im just hoping that I will be ready in time…definitely feel like i need to be getting offline sessions as much as online…like you said, offline can only take you so far

sorry for the typos and grammar…typing fast lol o_O

I think you’re progressing in the right direction. You’re definitely motivated to learn more, and polish off the kinks in your game play.You have some offline tournament experience, which is definitely a huge plus.

I would definitely recommend, although it might be hard (depending on your geography) - try to find some local community/scene that is active in your game. And in this case, SSF. I myself work in San Francisco, and stop by Southtown Arcade before I finish off my transit home in Oakland. Just try to be a bit more proactive (and realistic) about involving yourself in a gaming community in your area.

Oh and frame data? Yeah, it can look a bit daunting but it’s definitely worth learning. Even understanding some basic frame data that can be a common denominator amongst all characters can give you that extra edge to finish off that KO.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Actually, Im from the east coast, GA…wish we had arcades like you guys do :shake: but definitely motivated to learn more and do better!! I really dont get salty when I lose, I just ask my opponent,“hey how couldve I handled that situation better?” or “Why did your counter situation Y beat my gimmick/setup X?” etc…personally I feel like thats what holds back the American community of SF :frowning: Look at Japan where every player helps each other out…everyone is humble and thats how I want to be recognized as a player trying to improve :china:

Frame traps are not option selects themselves but they are used to punish a certain type of option select - crouch techs.

To explain frame traps we first have to explain normal, that is, true, blockstrings. A true blockstring is basically a blockstring that’s airtight. Mashed normals or specials will not come out because the opponent will be in blockstun. Most true blockstrings consist of something like chained crouching jabs or shorts.

Frame traps on the other hand are blockstrings with intentional gaps in them. The gaps are there for the purpose of catching crouch tech since the crouch tech normal will not come out if the character is in blockstun. The idea is to provide a small enough gap for the normal to start up and get hit but not a large enough one for it to become active and actually beat out the frame trap.

When creating a frame trap, you have to look at two normals. The “setup” normal and the frame-trapping normal. Since most crouching shorts have around 3 frames of startup, you’ll want to leave a 2-frame gap between your two normals. Reason you want to leave a 2f gap instead of 3f is because is the last frame of startup is also the first active frame. The gap can be calculated by taking the startup of the second normal and subtracting the block advantage of the first normal from it and the 1 active frame.

I’ll use Rose’s cl. MP -> cr. MP frame trap as an example.

Rose’s cl. MP is +1 on block. Her cr. MP has 4 frames of startup.

4 - 1 - 1 = 2.

That’s the exact math assuming I did the cr. MP immediately afterwards the cl. MP - frame-perfect in other words.

Do keep in mind that people can switch up their crouch-tech rhythm so you have to adjust the timing of your frame trap as well. Frame-trapping properly requires you to recognize your opponent’s crouch-tech habits. Some people mash crouch tech so tighten the gaps on your frame traps and do them quickly. Some people delay crouch tech so delay your frame traps as well. Adapt and punish accordingly.

Also be sure to mix things up so your opponent can’t get a chance to recognize your setups. Good luck.

If you want I can help you practice online. I’m probably going to try and get to final round also. I have AE for the PC and the 360. GT on both is bitbna

Edit: I play Zangief, but I am trying to learn some pocket characters like Ryu or Ibuki.

:frowning: im on psn lol