With the release of SFxT on the horizon, and the constant release of information regarding the title, my colleague and I have been inspired to take on a new project that will be documented via this blog, which will (at least I hope it will) not only assist people in performing LED modifications, but standardize Fight Stick modding in general.
The project has been dubbed “Project Pandora” and is a nod to Capcom’s implementation of the new Pandora System in Street Fighter X Tekken. At the very core this project is a “How To Build A Better Wheel” if you will, as there are all sorts of LED modding tutorials out on the web. Unfortunately, I have yet to come across one that breaks down modding in terms for those unfamiliar with the process. Additionally, I plan to implement some practical applications in to the existing processes to help simplify them, thus creating a more efficient and effective means of accomplishing this task.
A bit of background on this project: I purchased the new MadCatz SFxT FightStick Pro a couple weeks ago. Around the time it finally made it’s way to the United Kingdom where I am stationed, Capcom released the Pandora Trailer for SFxT. I got the idea that it would be really cool if I did an LED mod to emulate the change characters underwent when they engaged the Pandora mode. To do this I’d need to do an LED Mod that will illuminate my buttons the colors present on the characters while in Pandora Mode (I chose neon purple) and use the button insert method to restrain the illumination so that the symbols, that are carved into Pandora’s box and also circle around the characters would glow on button presses.
What really drove this project was the l[S]ack of effective resources and tutorials out on the web[/S] lack of availability of effective resources and tutorials on the 2 DAYS we first began this mod. We felt that none of them really went as far as they needed to give people the information that would help make the process easier. Because of this I’ve decided to produce a standardized wiring diagram / block diagram that will make the wiring process easier.
But we didn’t stop there. While wiring the LED components we found that the end result was a fightstick full of wires running amuck in total anarchy. As an aircraft maintainer by trade (USAF… Huah!) I know that this can become a cesspool of problems and prone for malfunctions in the future. Furthermore, much like the proud owners of tricked out cars, we not only wanted to have this really neat product to show off to people externally, but we also wanted to be able to show off what we’ve “got under the hood” so to speak. So I got the idea to implement a “wire bundling” method making use of quick disconnect connections so that troubleshooting and replacing of components would be easier to tackle.
This project will be ongoing and I plan to update it as go along. Please stay tuned for updates. My next post will be my initial experience and notes on performing the LED mod portion. I will then follow-up on my plans for optimizing the modding method how I tackled the button inserts TO INCLUDE A PSD. TEMPLATE available for ALL OF THE PANDORA SYMBOLS that can also be amended to suit whatever your insert themed needs may be.