The USA version of ST has four speeds:
The US Tourney standard is 3, which is the FASTEST.
In Japan, ST has four speeds
The Japanese tourney standard is 3, which is the SECOND FASTEST.
US and Japan tourney standards hould be the same. I’m sure most people will agree in principle to this, but some reasons are:
- Don’t fragment the game
- Encourage top US players to do well in Japanese tournaments and vice versa
At this point I’d like to assume that everyone agrees in principle that the speeds should be unified, and I’d like to discuss what speed should be used. Should the standard speed be FASTEST or SECOND FASTEST.
Pros for Fastest:
- Most US players are used to this
Pros for Second Fastest
- Most Japanese players are used to this
- Doesn’t drop frames (Fastest speed drops frames)
- US ST community is tiny compared to the Japanese ST community. It would be easier for the US to change than for JPN to change.
The main issues I see is that the Fastest speed drops frames. I think this is a problem. We should not be playing the game at a speed that drops frames. For this reason I propose that tournament standard for 2008 be changed to SECOND FASTEST.