PS1 button layout on stick

I’m gonna wire up my stick soon. Which is considered the better layout of buttons for the PS1 controller for compatibility. What would be best for most games? I’m stuck between these. Or please suggest others. Thanks

L1 [] /\ R1
L2 X O R2

[] /\ L1 R1
X O L2 R2

[] /\ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

[] /\ r1 l1
x o r2 l2

I have 8 buttons and did this. L1 and L2 aren’t used but I still wired them for grins. You could also use plugs in their place. I wouldn’t want L1/L2 at the far right because I don’t want to accidentally nudge them.

Depends what 6 buttons you wanna use. In some layouts, the right 6 is straight; almost an American layout and left 6 is closer to a Japanese layout. Sometimes, buttons on the right dip down (good for hitting with pinky for games that use 8 or SNK games with 4). Pick the 6 buttons you like best and make them x[]/\OR1R2

So most games don’t use L1 and L2? interesting. I play some NeoGeo emu’s and they have 4 across usually, instead of the 2 rows of 3.

I guess I’ll go with:

L1 [] /\ R1
L2 X O R2

But the new Madcatz SFIV sticks are:

[] /\ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

Since Capcom fighters are among the more popular on SRK, most people will tell you to go:

[] /\ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

which is the configuration on the HRAP2, HRAP3, and Mad Catz SFIV FightSticks. However, in all honesty, it really depends on what the actual shape of your button layout is.

Are you using an American 8 button 4x2 straight layout? Are you using a Japanese 8 button 4x2 curved layout? And if it’s the latter, are you using a HRAP1 curve? A HRAP2 or HRAP3 curve? Maybe even the Vewlix curve on the Mad Catz FightSticks? Really, that’s the key issue here. We can give you a much better opinion if you can tell us exactly what kind of panel button layout you have.

Thanks. I have a Hori Wii fighting stick that I plan to wire up with a PS1 controller.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/06/wii_hori_stick.jpg

Now that I use quick disconnects, I just wire the buttons up to whatever is default on my current favorite game. So when SFIV comes out, I’ll be switching it for the default on that. This is really convenient for tournies.

kaymm2, in that case I suggest you go the layout of suggested.

[] /\ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

That’s the layout you’re going for.

what if i only have 6 buttons? do i discard L1, L2?

Yep, well thats the usual set up for a 6 button stick.
[] /\ R1
X O R2
But sticks like the Virtua Stick: High Grade have a
[] /\ R1
X O L1 set up (R2 + L2 are tiny buttons next to start and select)

but yes most people discard L1 and L2.
well at least i do :wgrin:

Thanks guys I’m gonna go with:

[] /\ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

But I’ll be using quick connects as well so I can change it if need be.