PS2 Dual Shock 2 pad hack questions

I have gone through the previous posts to find my answer but cannot, so I’m hoping someone can answer a few questions I have come across.

This hopefully should not matter but my custom stick will be using these parts:

1 x Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT stick

7 x Sanwa OSBN30 push buttons

I have a Sony PS2 Dualshock 2 controller (A series) which came with my NTSC PS2 and cant seem to find a definite answer if these are hackable.

If they are can someone point me in the right direction for a guide on the pin/ribbon layout? I have looked at SPIFFYSHOES guide but this seems to be for a controller with 16 Ribbon Terminal holes when my PS2 dualshock 2 controller has 18.

Here is pic of the pad and the pcb/ribbon.

http://www.angemalo.info/psxhack/DS2.jpg

Failing that I might use an old PSX pad and I think it has 2 ground points, one on each side of the pcb. I was wondering if I would need to daisy chain the ground through all the ground points or just one?

Also using the above stick and button combo on a psx hack does anyone foresee any issues with voltage?

Thanks!

they’re not hackable. something to do with how the PS2 detects analog button inputs, iirc.

about the PSX dual shock, AFAIK all of them have common grounds, so you won’t have to daisy chain anything on the PCB. if they didn’t have common grounds, daisy chaining wouldn’t work, anyway.

actually the ps2 is hackable… its just more complicated, from what i read, there’s two grounds, one for start, select and the other one for the rest… (correct me if i’m wrong…) anyways if u connect the grounds right… it would work… unless u’re using a P360 which u are not. there is a guide, http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdpyle1/controls_playstation.htm

Good luck with it… A PSX pad is probably easier tho…

I’d really like to hear more about its hackability. I’ve read the site you’re linking to before attempting the hack and deducted that as long as it’d be used with a Sanwa stick, it would be all right.

After connecting everything the only buttons I got to work were Start, Select and Analog On/Off, but I couldn’t find a way to make the other buttons work. Both common lines seemed to make em do the same all-buttons-pressed thing.

At the end they state:

this is also what I’ve noticed douring testing with a multimeter, but in the game the buttons never worked. Anyone had the same problems. Anyone actually built a funcional stick with a dualshock padhack? If so, could anyone give more advice about connectiong the wires correctly?

BTW:
The DS2 can easily be hacked with a solderless Spiffyshoes-like method. But as there is no ribbon to keep them firm and separated one from another, instead of putting the wires in place of the green plastic we removed, we have to use a needle and form a small gap between everyone of the contacts and the upper part of the brown plastic cover, thus making a perfect channel for a thin wire to stick in (I’ve used telephone cables).

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3859/ds2tl4.jpg

(borrowed your pic, Pulse8 :wink:)

I’d really be happy if we found the exact way to make it work (provided it actually can be done) as combined with this method of connecting the wires it would mean a lot to folks who have a myriad of DS2s uselessly lying around. :wgrin:

^^^^ Thats coooool

i recently bought a ps2 DS A series

but it didnt have that ribbon dealy >.<

it was held down by some foam thing on the back part of the controller
and it had no way of inserting any wires anywhere

ill post pics up soon

if what dorick is saying is true, then you should be able to get them to work by giving each button its own ground wire. no daisy chaining. i’m not sure why you would need to use a Dual shock though. a DS1 is cheaper.

thats the foam thing

DONT BUY PS2 DS2 A SERIES
BUY DS1!!!

hey kekken3 just checking, did you separate the start select and analog button from the rest? I’m assuming u did, did u manage to get the stick to work? or does it not work as well? Btw i think the fact that ps2 controllers are solderless hackable would be very helpful to alot of us. I haven’t personally tried it yet as i’m still waiting on my box, but i’ve read somewhere else that it works on a ps2, its not much of a guide, rather just some pictures, not sure if it would help. Here you go

good luck! and make sure to post results here :slight_smile:

In that pic, he says PS2 dual shock, but could easily be confusing the Dual Shock and Dual Shock 2.

Unless you want to make things very difficult and add in chips, you will have to use a separate ground, at least for the parts that use separate common lines; I believe three. Looking at the plastic film piece you should be able to figure out how many and which buttons they are for pretty easy.

If it still isn’t working, even with the right common line, use a multimeter and see the resistance when you press the button nub into the green plastic sheet. Find a similarly rating resistor, and put it between the pcb and microswitch on the non common line. The buttons are meant to be analog by testing the resistance; more pressure on the button, less resistance, but there is never 0 resistance like a microswitch. There’d be too much current going through a 0 resistance short like that for it to be able to tell if any other buttons are pressed. On a fully assembled controller, there should be infinite resistance when the button is not pressed, and light resistance when the button is pressed hard (20-100ohms? I dunno, someone needs to check). Finding that resistance and simulating it with a resistor should do the trick.You’re going to need alot of resistors, but I’d bet a resistor leg would slide into that edge connector pretty nicely.

Shoo, that?s the first time I have come across a DS2 that looked like that on the inside. Is this an official Sony controller or just a 3rd party one? Because I was thinking of buying another DS2 and trying to hack that rather than killing my only DS2 pad. I would definitely like to use a DS1 but I can?t find any in Australia.

Leaveal you mentioned that there is no need to daisy chain as each button should have its own ground. From what I have read in the previous pad hack threads daisy chaining is what needs to be done (is this correct?). Since the DS2 has 2 ground points, one for the start/select/analogue buttons, the and the other used for the rest of the buttons and movement I would need to run a wire from one of the corresponding pin holes (eg Triangle PIN 16) to my Sanwa button. Then another lead will run from the ground point on the pad (the one
used for analogue buttons and movement) to the Sanwa button common ground. This will then daisy chain to all my other sanwan buttons common ground and eventually to the stick, where it will end.

Is the above assumption correct or have I got it all wrong?

When reading http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdpyle1/controls_playstation.htm and looking at their pin layout it seems to match my DS2 pad correctly as I followed each of the lines on the PCB back to the ribbon slot.

Pin Number Connection
1 L2
2 L1
3 Up
4 Left
5 Down
6 Right
7 Select
8 Analogue
9 Start
10 Common across Start, Select, Analogue
11 Common to other buttons
12 Black bar opposite side of 11
13 Square
14 X
15 Circle
16 Triangle
17 R1
18 R2

So as long as I hook a wire in each pin hole I would assume it should all work…

Pulse8:

daisy chaining grounds is almost never necessary. it’s usually just there to make things easier, or to save on wiring length. then again i never noticed you were trying a solderless hack. :B in that case it would be really hard to not daisy chain the grounds.

you can probably daisy chain from pin 10 to start, select, and analog, and then chain from pin 11 to everything else. :smiley:

sounds like Toodles is on to something here. someone should try that.

pulse8. yeah its an official sony pad,
i guess i should stick with the DS1

A little frustrated!!!

This is the exact way my PCB looks on the inside and it’s starting to annoy me. As I’m interested in building my own custom sticks, but it looks more aggravating if anything else. It seems too hard to just hack pads these days. Is there anything easier on the market to hack or a place that can just send me the damn PCBs already ready to be placed inside the stick?

I drew up a little diagram of what I understand is a way to pad hack the DS2.

http://angemalo.info/layout.jpg

Can anyone let me know if the daisy chaining is setup correctly in the pic?

Is there a need to have a wire in all pin holes even if I dont want to use all the buttons a DS2 can offer?

Any idea what pin 12 is used for?

Just my .02 but I actually prefer to solder a pad than use the spiffyshoes method. I did use 22 gauge instead of 26 when i tried the solderless method but still Id rather just solder it and glue the bejesus out of it afterwards.