Psycho Punishment

m-bison

We need a dedicated thread for all things related to Psycho Punisher. Living up to it’s name, it really does punish a lot of stuff. Post up methods for landing it and things you have had beat Psycho Punisher if you got it early. If you haven’t, this will give you a good idea when you get into it.

Psycho Punisher leaps two distances. Close/Neutral + Faraway. Cross ups vary by where you launch and where the opponent is landing/standing/blocking. Learn the distances and confuse your foes!

**YOU MUST BLOCK HIGH. **

PSYCHO PUNISHER HAS PROJECTILE IMMUNITY.

PSYCHO PUNISHER’S HITBOX IS PRETTY BIG. SPACING/ZONING IS QUITE LENIENT FOR CROSS UPS.
Picture here: http://i39.tinypic.com/33vm0rs.jpg

General Tidbits & Setups:

Anti-air j.MP Reset Mix up
j.MP into c.LK/c.MK reset and Psycho Punisher

Ground Crumple Reset Mix up
FA, dash in, s.LK reset and Psycho Punisher

Character Specific Punishments:

Abel[list[*]Ultra II on reaction against EX-Wheel Kick recovery.

Adon [list][*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.[/list]

Akuma[list][]Air fireballs can be punished.
[
]Red fireballs are easy punish.
[*]Whiff tatsu can be punished.[/list]

Balrog/Boxer

Blanka[list][]Blocked Blanka balls can put him in a 50/50 Ultra II guessing setup.
[
]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.[/list]

C.Viper[list][*]Super Jumps can be caught with Psycho Punisher at the appropriate distances. [/list]

Cammy[list][*]Cannon Spike/Thrust Kick can be punished on block.
[/list]

Chun-Li[list][]Instant overhead can be punished (instant jumping back Roundhouse/High Kick)
[

Cody [LIST]
[*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.
[/LIST]

Dan[LIST][]Air taunts can be punished due to it’s “floaty” slow down in air.
[
]Gadouken’s can be punished.
[*]Blocked Ultra II can be punished, leaps far across screen.
[/LIST]

Dee Jay[list][]EX-Air Slasher can be punished.
[
]Whiffed Jackknife Maximum can be punished. [/list]

Dhalsim[list][]Dhalsim’s back teleports can be j.HP option selected with Psycho Punisher.
[
]Dhalsim’s slow floaty jump is bait for a lot of Psycho Punisher opportunities. It’s possible to use it against him right after a high air teleport while he’s landing.
[*]Whiffed Ultra II is a free punish.[/list]

Dudley[LIST]
[/LIST]

E.Honda [LIST]
[/LIST]

El Fuerte[*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.

Fei Long

Gen[list][*]Far Oga wall dive can be punished on the way down. [/list]

Gouken[list][]All Hadoukens can be punished, **ESPECIALLY **if they charge it.
[
]Whiffed Tatsu can be punished.
[]Whiffed Air (horizontal) Tatsu can be punished.
[
]Demon Flips can be punished right after you dash under to set up 50/50
[*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.[/list]

Guile[list][*]EX-Sonic Booms can be tightly punished if you’re prebuffering, all other sonic booms recover too fast unless you throw them out randomly predictably. [/list]

Guy[list][]Whiffed EX-Hurricane kick is free punish.
[
]Everytime Guy knocks you down and bunshin flips over you for a meaty elbow or bushin grab, you can punish it on reaction because of the slow move.
[*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.[/list]

Hakan [LIST][]360k whiffs can be punished.
[
]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works when they have no meter.
[/LIST]

Ibuki[list][*]Kunais can be punished while she is landing. [/list]

Juri[list][]EX-Dive Kick can be punished on reaction.
[
]EX-Pinwheel can be punished towards it’s recovery frames.

Ken[list][]All Hadouken can be punished.
[
]Whiffed tatsu can be punished.[/list]

Makoto[list][*]Throw into Ultra II 50/50 crossup setup works.[/list]

M.Bison/Dictator[list][]Point blank blocked EX-Psycho Crusher can be punished.
[
]Devi’s Reverse follow up can be punished.[/list]

Rose[list][]Soul Spark can be punished.
[
]Whiffed soul throw can be punished or can put Rose in a 50/50 cross up guess on recovery.

Rufus[list][]Whiffed EX-Snake Strike can be punished on reaction (hard)
[

Ryu[list][]Hadouken can be punished.
[
]Runaway air tatsu can be punished
[*]Whiffed tatsu can be punished[/list]

Sagat[list][*]High and low Tiger Shots can be punished. [/list]

Seth[list][*]All Sonic Booms can be punished. [/list]

Sakura[list][*]All Hadouken can be punished. [/list]

T.Hawk[list][]Blocked Condor Dive can be punished.
[

Vega/Claw [LIST]
[*]Walldive can be punished when it’s landing.
[/LIST]

Zangief[list][]Lariat can be punished when it’s ending. It has to land by the time Zangief is recovering or you will be knocked out before landing by lariat’s hit boxes.
[

U2 setups?

reserved for match up specific psycho punishement

reservedre

Psycho punisher can punish yoga fires, ryu’s hadouken, on reaction, you must be buffering the motion however. It can punish a blocked lp srk from ken, timing is TIGHT through

Besides punishing fireballs, you have the option to use it as a crossover in the corner.

A friendly reminder that PP can be used to punish all the follow ups on Rufus’s messiah kick, however, if Rufus decides to not follow up with anything PP will not work.

I personally think that Ultra 1 might be best against Rufus since you can just spam nightmare booster as soon as you block a messiah, but that’s just my early opinion anyways.

I agree with gl0ry. Nightmare Booster may be the best solution against Rufus. Try Ultra1 after 1st part of ex messiah. If it doesn’t work (lk followup), start charging again and give Rufus a nice Cl.Hp->cr.lk->medium scissors.

I would use PP against fireballers and Blanka. I prefer U1 against melee characters

It should be fairly easy to make estimates based on frame data, since PP doesn’t seem distance dependent.

The items I am most curious about:
-Punishing Guiles lp/mp/hp/ex booms. My guess is that EX-boom is borderline punishable, but the others have to be predicted.

My guess was it was EX-Boom or a good guess. Or maybe Andre has gdlk reaction.

-Sagat’s high tiger shot. Probably in the same category as EX-Boom
-Chun’s lp. fireball. Min was having some trouble consistently punishing these, but he had no trouble with Ryu.
-Akuma’s air fireball. According to Andre:

If air fireballs are free, then my guess would be that this matchup is currently in Bison’s favor.

-All walljumps (Seth and El fuerte in particular, since they accelerate off the wall)
-All focuses (Is PP armor break? Is the hitbox big enough to catch both the front and back dash cancel?)

If PP does have fireball invincibility, I would check to see if it goes through
-Rose’s ultra 2. Wonder if the game treats the satellites as projectiles.

And don’t forget:

Yay.

Looking at the list of moves, any whiffed special move 50+ish frames or more should be free, without having to look for it. Whiffed ochios, tornado throws, SPDs. Akuma’s teleport. Testing can’t come soon enough. D:

Always attempt to cross-over fireball opponents who have 2xBars of super . Reason to this is; some people will try to FADC the recovery frames of the fireball and dash back. I have caught Sagat quiet a bit this way.

What’s funny is, Sagat doesn’t recover any faster back dashing out of high tiger shots. At least in vanilla.

I was half screen and hit PP against ryu when he threw a fireball right before it hit and he was able to block PP, but I crossed it up so maybe its faster if you dont crossup with it

Ryu’s fireball recovery frames end around the time the fireball is a bit past 1/3 of the screen if he was on the edge. It’s not that long though. You have to be real good with reaction timing. Buffering it is a lot of help.

Its pretty easy to focus cancel and dash forwards to avoid the ultra II.

wtf are we, dan?

edit: Speaking of, can PP punish taunts? Does it depend on the taunt?

edit#2: can PP punish the following:
vega cMP
shoto cMK
blanka slide
gouken senkugoshoha (dp+p)
dhalsim sFP/sHK (stretchy)
seth/dhalsim jFP
balrog dash punches

man i could go on for days :frowning:

PP isn’t going to punish any whiffed normals on reaction, that’s virtually guaranteed.

Didn’t notice this had its ow thread until now.

Messing around in training mode.

Blocking Chun’s instant over head can be punished by PP at reversal timing. Possible on hit if she does it in corner, not possible anywhere else, though she can’t jump away immediately at landing. Meaning it looks like they have to deal with the ambiguous PP mix up if you want to risk it. It’s easy to make it come down on her head to add to the ambiguity. I wouldn’t take the chance unless I’m super desperate, honestly. On whiff, punish is totally possible with good reaction time.

Set up: Recorded Chun doing IO and walking a few steps back. Recorded Chun doing IO and immediately jumping upon landing. Block settings is put to All Block.

Not sure this is a completely legit set up so some other confirmations would be nice. Hope it is because trip guard punishing is fun times for us.

Will test yoga snipe later.

When you test, make sure you block (or in this case, walk back) longer than you normally expect, because the inputs continue to run during an ultra freeze.

And all block doesn’t do anything to the dummy when it’s playing back.

Good stuff.

Thanks for the info! I set Chun Li to IO and 4 second walk back. Worked all the same.

I set the same for Dhalsim’s snipe and it’s possible to punish on hit or block anywhere in the screen. Reversal timing is not needed, although it has to be immediately after reversal timing. All in all, it’s easy to PP tripguard it.

Again, though I’m starting to feel fairly sure about all this, you guys should test it out for yourselves to fully confirm.

Bonus info while I have Dhlasim in training:

• Yoga Catastrophe requires an untechable knockdown to be safe from PP. Otherwise input the PP command during his ultra flash.

• IAT and regular teleport is punishable by PP. I did IAT/RT and 4 second walk back as my set up. (I have a hard time believing this, other testers would be greatly appreciated)

I’ve seen video’s of it punishing Abel normals

maybe the dude didnt jump, i dunno

I expect the Dic army to churn out more Punisher technology this week!