Qanba & Xbox Security

The Qanba line of sticks isn’t officially licensed by Microsoft, right? I was always under the impression that Microsoft had good security in their consoles. (To quote Toodles: “Xbox360 uses special chips to prove they’re licensed. Until they get publicly cracked, I dont think its going to happen.”) Does anyone know how Qanba managed to pull this off? Is there a chip from a gutted Xbox controller in their arcade sticks, or is it something more complicated?

I’m asking because I’m worried that if I buy a Qanba stick today, even though it looks like one of the best options on the market, it might bet banned with a future software update. What’s the likelihood of that happening? $150 is a lot of money to throw away.

Also, does the PS3 have similar security? My understanding is that Sony is more lax about these things, but I’m not sure.

Thanks!

Were talking about the Chinese here they can F-ing duplicate anything they manufacture 90% of the electronic’s we use the chips are different from what I’ve heard, but but I doubt you have to worry about it. The 360 is on its last leg so Microsoft is moving on and could probably care less.

also you would not be throwing away your money the worst case scenario you have to add a $20 xbox pcb but its still very doubt full

I don’t see the Qanba being specifically targeted. Microsoft can do as they please in the name of ‘security.’ I am not aware of any MS updates though that have broken converter/PCB compatibility.

Sony has (unintentionally?) broken converters with system updates.

1. Yup.
  2. You have the right idea, but its a knockoff chip that performs the same function using the same security keys in the legit chips.
  3. If it hasnt happened by now, very low.
  4. Nope.

Brilliant — thank you! Now I’m curious, though. Qanba isn’t exactly a big-name operation. Surely they don’t have teams of engineers working to crack Microsoft’s security. Where do these knockoff chips come from? Do they simply roll off the same conveyor belts as Microsoft’s official goods? And if so, this means that Microsot probably can’t tell the difference, right?

(I’m not too familiar with how China’s grey market works.)

The chips come from China like everything else does. Who knows you could ask them but I’m pretty sure they won’t tell you it less complicated than you think when you have the resources. The Chinese have duplicated much more sophisticated things than a 360 controller security

[LIST]
[]There is a number of there from a disgruntled assembly line worker running of with the security chip schematics.
[
]Overstock security chips being sold with a under-the-table deals
[]Chips that “Fallen of the truck”
[
]some one actually breaking the security code. There is a article out there of a Former US Army Engineer who did just that
[/LIST]

Yeah, this.

The Chinese know how to unlock Verizon global smartphones without the keys Verizon provides. This includes the Motorola ones without any unlock method (I think one exists for the Galaxy S line?)

They know how, but they won’t divulge their secrets. Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I tried myself figuring out how to procure some of those bootleg 360 security chips, because obviously there would be some bank to be made through doing so. But it’s a fool’s errand, because they chinese know that there’s bank to be made in this too, and doesn’t want anyone else honing in on that.

How would they have gone about extracting the keys? I mean, the xbox has been reverse engineered by the Jtag community. Can’t you make a debugging device identify as a 360 and have the controller send the keys and intercept them, or make a tool that a modified xbox could use to give the data to you?

I mean, it doesn’t look too bad based upon all of the converters I’ve seen that require an official controller for authentication, so why not just capture the data the official controller sends and have another device send it to the console for the same reason. That way the authentication chip wouldn’t necessarily be required if the data can be reproduced by other means.

There are more and more products coming out from different companies using those chips. They’re ok to sell them, its just a matter of finding out who and how need to be bought.

Im sorry to say that wont work.

In some cases, the Chinese have been pretty shady. This is unrelated, but it shows how unethical some of these managers are. I read an article a while ago about counterfeit memory chips coming out of China. These chips were very difficult to spot. When they finally figured out where they came from, they found out why they were so good. The counterfeits were being made in the same factory, by the same people, and with the same materials as the genuine chips. Now, there are a ton of legitimate 360 controllers made in China. Technical information on them could have easily been traded or sold by the factory that was manufacturing them.