Question on frames

Okay I always wanted to ask this so I’ll start by asking it here. How do yall tell how much each frame of a move is? im talking bout like the startup, active, recovery, frames on block, frames on hit, and all the other stuff i may be forgetting. If someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

afaik, they publish frame data in books, and maybe magazines.

I know that, but what I wanna know is how they tell how much each frame of a move is.

Nearly all fighting games run at 60 frames per second. 1 frame is = 16.6666~ milliseconds. A millisecond is exactly 9,192,631.77 oscillations of a cesium atom’s resonant frequency.

If you want to know the specifics, I would guess you could just look it up online somewhere, But I judge it personally on what the character does, and how many ANIMATIONS are involved in doing their action…For Instance, Cammy’s strong kick(crouch) is two frames, because it takes almost 2 seconds to do, and their are two animations involved in using her strong kick.

lol how can you stand to play at nearly 1 frame per second?

Answer

Uuuuh

I fucking cracked up at this response.

Retitled the thread. Multiple threads vaguely entitled titled “question” or other nondescriptive title would be annoying. :smile:

you can check published works to see what the frame data is.

Or you can record at 60fps (if source is progressive, or 30 and then deinterlace if the source is interlaced), and start counting the frames. See how many frames it takes to hit when standing next to them to find the start up. Whiff the move a few times but try to go from one move to another using a good turbo controller so you can see how long it lasts. and set up a meaty situation and try seeing when it will start to miss (or last frame that it hits) and then do the math.

Say you tested ryus standing strong and you saw that it hits on the 7th frame. You then used turbo and saw that the move is 23 frames total. and you then tried the meaty and saw that the last frame that it’ll hit is on the 13th frame.

Using that you can conclude that it has 6 frames of start up, 7 active frames, and 10 recovery frames.

This is just an example and I’m not quoting any frame data from any game that I know. But that would be the general process in figuring out frame data.

Now in older 2D games that gets more difficult since some moves won’t start their animation til frames 4 or 5.

lmao

This should be its own thread on every forum ever.

But seriously, even though this is just the tip of the iceberg: How do you define ANIMATIONS? I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

I don’t know why people even NEED frame data. You play the games and pay attention, get a feel for shit and you’ll know how much time you have to punish what, and what’s safe on block. It’s like people want to know shit without even putting in any play time, and losing from time to time.