Quick Arcade stick question

I’m a C. Viper player on UMvC3 and of course I do a lot of quick air dashes. My firstArcade stick should be here soon and I’m wondering what is the easiest way for airdashes. I know everyone does things differently but w/e.

The one I’m getting is Soul Calibur V Soul Edition by Madcatz, which is an 8 button stick. Is one of the buttons mapped to R2?(PS3 Controller)

Each of the buttons on your stick will correspond to a button on a standard ps3 controller. Which means there will be a square, triangle, circle, x, and both top buttons. Configuring your buttons will be the same process.

Most people press 2 punches to dash and air dash. I guess you could set up one of the buttons as PPP to do a one button dash, but it would be awkward pressing a far button on your stick during combos.

This was my exact thought which is why I asked. I feel like pressing 2 buttons and the time would feel weird too. Maybe it won’t, we’ll see soon enough :slight_smile:

also depends how big your hands are, my hands are huge so the far right button is already right under my pinky

Ok, so my dad won’t let me get a nice one, so instead Im getting a super cheap, PS3 Fighting stick V3 from I think it was Hori, which is a 6 button layout.
I noticed under each button it has like triangle, R2, square etc. I can change these controls through the game, right? Sounds stupid but I wanna be sure, lmao.

The button layout they have setup would be retarded for mvc

There’s nothing wrong with the “cheaper” sticks. At a future date, you can replace the buttons and stick whenever you feel like it’s necessary, and have yourself a “nice one” at a cheaper price.

Yes, you can configure each button however you’d like…like I’d mentioned before in a previous post. EVERY stick comes with the ability to configure your buttons. A stick is not anymore special than a standard controller, just the layout is different.

Standard layout…I believe…is that the top row is A, B, C. The bottom row is S, A1, A2. If so, that’s what most people use, and personally I think its a really good layout, but you can change it however you’d like as long as you don’t use cheating turbos in a tournament.

Hope you get used to playing on a stick. It’s difficult to adapt to at first, but it’s a REAL joy to play on arcade parts.

"Fighting Stick V3 $69.90 (PS3)
Quality: Very good. Uses Hori parts but built better than Fighting Stick EX2
Reliability: No issues to report
Ease of Mod: Difficulty 2. Common Ground: yes

Note for Fighting Stick VX and V3: Yes the hori buttons are soldered to a PCB, but the PCB that the buttons are soldered to are not the main PCB but a secondary board that does not needed to be saved for button swaping"
Your Dad does not love you(just kidding, but have him read this) Ask him would he use cheaper tools to work on his car from the dollar store? Your going to buy a cheap dollar store stick, then pay $40 for new buttons, and maybe more money for someone to install them. Then you go to a tourny and whoops, the games you want to play are only on Xbox360, so you either don’t play, hope someone will lend you a stick, pay someone to mod your stick (and modding a ps3 stick to be able to play on 360 is harder and more costly). It will cost him a lot less money just to, at the start, buy one of the EightArc or Qanba sticks that are already dual modded. The fact that you are here show that you take this seriously and you need serious tools.

A few points of contention:

You’re asking a dad to shell out $150 for a hobby, that he may or may not take seriously. The guy never said he was planning to enter hardcore tournaments, so there may not be a need to dual-mod. Very few parents are willing to spend even $70 in this day and age on something as “silly” as a joystick, so he should be happy that his dad bothered to buy him this in the first place. And if you’re paying $40 for new buttons, you’re drastically over-paying for buttons. Plus buttons are extremely easy to replace by yourself as long as you own a phillips and flathead screwdriver, and have half a brain.

Secondly, there’s no problem using cheap tools to work on cars. Most people only buy tools to repair their own vehicles, and not work on cars on a daily basis. There’s nothing wrong with cheap tools, as long as they’re of decent quality, and Hori fits this description fairly well in the arcade stick market. It’s not like he’s buying some off-brand no-namer stick from his neighbor kid that he built himself from scratch using glue and scissors.

Thirdly, even if he goes to tournaments to play on Xbox360s, I’ve yet to meet a community member who doesn’t mind lending out a stick to a fellow player, especially if he’s a newer player who doesn’t act like an asshole. I’d rather make a friend for free who’s willing to share his stick, than shell out $150 for a brand new stick, especially if your wallet is tight.

This guys got it. I don’t plan on entering tourneys. All tourneys take place at my house. My friends always come to my house to play. My dad said what you said which made me lol, he called is silly…
I’m going to get the V3, seems good enough. He said I could get it so yay! Also a question. What makes a certain set of buttons different then others? I assume one thing is materials?

As a V3 user myself, I have no problems with the stick. For a casual player like me (and FinalFantasy), it works well and that’s all I need it to do. I don’t see any major executional problems with the stick and apart from those high grade arcade sticks with Sanwa/Seimitsu parts, I think the VX and the V3 are the next best thing. Maybe the buttons are a little squishy or stiff compared to those higher grade sticks, but for people who are starting out on the arcade stick, they won’t notice any quality difference (or lack thereof) since they have never been exposed to high grade parts (ignorance is bliss? haha). But yeah, good choice getting the V3 man, it worked out for me.

Different buttons have different tension, as well as overall feel. Think of like like playing different guitars, or playing basketball with a ball that has too much air, or not enough. Yes, they’re generally the same, but there are changes in the minor details. Some players prefer stiff buttons, others prefer buttery soft and responsive buttons that activate with a light touch. It’s not a matter of one being better than the other, its mostly about personal preference.

As long as your execution is on point, it really shouldn’t matter whether or not you have Japanese parts, American parts, or European parts. Focus on your own personal skill, and not the equipment that you use.