Random normals being thrown to psyche out opponent

In high level play matches even regular matches i play with my friend they throw random normals out to psyche out the opponent i dont get how that works it doesnt seem like its doing anything really except for doing a random normal is it used for something else other then psyching out people i saw a akuma player using standing low kick was he trying to set up a move or link idk would anybody know about this random hit gameplan?

if it’s far away, then it’s most likely to counter someone with a fast attack, such as honda’s head butt. reaction ain’t quick enoguh for som so randomly jabbing at that distance keeps your opponent from doing such a thing without thinking about it.

if its at a certain spacing, but not full screen, then it’s to either keep them away, or again let the other know they got jabs going so don’t randomly step in. Some normals are used because the can e linked or cancelled into something else. In this case of akuma, he/she was likely doing it and buffering a hadoken. If the cr forward whiff, then no problem, keeps your opponent away, but if it hits then they get a hadoken out and it’ll deal some damage. It’ll make your opponent think twice about stepping in.

It’s like planning ahead of time, but it’s sorta automated so you could be focusing on other things. Have you seen Daigo play? If he gets his cr mk in, he’ll hadoken, fadc, cr mk xx ex tatsu into ultra (in the corner). Just from that one poke lead to that much damage, but it’s not like he had planned to do it at tht time, it could have been anytime he had 3 bars and an ultra.

Those “random” normals at high level play arn’t random they are calculated to catch something, a good example is Ryu doing standing light punch at certain ranges against sagat, it stuffs his attempts to poke out, and keeps him blocking. Reference [media=youtube]DXFO3vxgT0Q[/media]

ahh i see i just tried it i was throwing out cr mp and when some walked into it i hit them with a hadoken but im guessing that akuma was using standing lk as a anti air? because he was fighting ryu but i dont get how that works

pretending to throw fireballs to bait jumps/reversal ultras

there’s an interesting article on sonichurricane.com about your question. in the end, it’s all about controlling space and the illusion of constant offense. for example, your opponent wants to get in on you, positioning themselves to get a off a combo. in order to prevent this, you throw our crouching forwards and standing jabs. when you stick those limbs out, you’re occupying more space, which otherwise, would be prime real estate. if they’re trying to get in and there’s a constant threat of low forwards or standing jabs, then they will be less inclined.

in addition, good players don’t stop there. they’re also buffering 2-in-1’s with those ‘random normals’, which is also a form of option select. it may look like a bunch of low forwards, but in reality, the player is actually motioning down+forward, down-towards, towards+punch. if the forward whiffs, nothing else happens, but if it connects, then BAM, it combo’s into a fireball.

it’s all about controlling space, thus decreasing the options for your opponents. when you control the screen and dictate where your opponent can go, then you’re on your way to winning the match.

Taken from here: http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=34751

“You can see one of the easiest examples of something like this in top level shotokan play on virtually any of the SF games. Just relentlessly pummeling people with fireballs isn?t always effective. There are lots of ranges where that just won?t work. To bridge the gaps between when you?re someplace it won?t work anymore, and where it will, you see players like John Choi doing something as simple as firing off a couple of standing jabs before whatever he does next (it?s often jabs, but it varies with character and game- standing strongs seem popular in the 3 series). Does he think these jabs are going to hit? Hell no. What they do is to extend the sense that you?re still being attacked. His character isn?t just sitting there motionless, admitting that you?re not right where he wants you. He?s moving- dynamic- just like when you were pinned down, spending all of your time trying to block, on the defensive. When he?s moving like that, you continue to make the (until your recent release from the series) very reasonable assumption that he?s dangerous, and that you need to look out. This extends your comparative paralysis- you?re not in block-stun anymore, but his make-believe standing jabs gets you to act like you are. His advantage extends beyond it?s natural boundaries, and gives him the extra time needed to re-establish position while you?re still trying to figure out what?s really happening.”

Maj has a series of articles about this sort of thing on Sonic Hurricane.

I do this as a habit from Third Strike…i know i can’t build meter anymore but i can’t help it

though a few attacks i use as “fake” attacks to get a response from my opponent such as Blanka’s HK which looks a lot like a blanka ball