Raspberry Pi Super Cheap Super Small PC $25/$35

[SIZE=15px][FONT=courier new][SIZE=4]This may not be fighting game related but I still think its super cool and so cheap. I’m thinking of picking one up to make a tiny cab to run some of the low end emulators. There a lot of cool little projects you could do with one of these. What you guys think its a weak pc but super cheap and even has hdmi output, any of you creative people have some ideas for cool projects?[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]

**[SIZE=15px]

**[/SIZE]

**[SIZE=15px]

**[/SIZE]
[SIZE=15px]What’s a Raspberry Pi?[/SIZE]

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

The Model A will cost $25 and the Model B $35, plus local taxes Model A has been redesigned to have 256Mb RAM, one USB port and no Ethernet (network connection). Model B has 256Mb RAM, 2 USB port and an Ethernet port.
The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries
That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics
[SIZE=15px]How powerful is it?[/SIZE]

The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode

It’s fun. I messed with mine for the first few days, but now it just kinda sits there. I’ll eventually do something with it… which is what I said about that Arduino board I just had to have…

If divekick can play on this. FUND IT.

Can you play ggpo on it? I need something more portable.

I should have figured you would have one mistahsnart :sunglasses: How long have you had it, they haven’t been around that long have they? I just read about them a month or so ago. I know there have issues keeping them in stock. I understand what you mean I have some little projects I could do/need to do. You could even slap one of these little boy in a stick they don’t need much juice to run.

I’ve had it for a couple of weeks now. All it needs to run is 5 volts from a micro USB port, so you could definitely get some low-power projects going. Heck: pop one in a TE with a mini MAME install. Portable Street Fighter tourney whenever you want. :smiley:

Not sure Dive kick maybe be able to I would have to check with keits. Is it even available for people to download?

Not sure I emailed mike at gppo to see I’ll post when I get a reply

I was going to get one of these forevvvvver ago(as in maybe 6 months? Feels like it at least… I think it was last year…), but never did. Still only pondering it. It is really cool though.

Mine is fun.

So, anyone actually doing something with this?

Well isn’t this only Linux supported and GGPO is a Windows compatible only program? There is FinalBurn software for Linux but it’s hella old.

can this play mame without any problems?

The GPU should be on par with an Xbox 1, but real-world applications may beg to differ.

I’m still seeking to get my hands on one. It just isn’t as easy to get one in the States though.

The problem is, this machine is ARM based and to my knowledge there are barely any arm compatible emulators… i really wanted to use on of these for a emulator box but cant find anything that will work.

i already saw a blog that used this as a bartop board. although no video were posted.

linux can run xmame.

yeah it just came out not long ago the crazy modders are hard at work so give it time. I’m sure we will see some cool emulators

will do. cause i’m itching to buy one. there’s someone here who’s already asking for reservations

Last year I bought a fit pc-2. It is considerably more expensive, about $250, but is specced more like a netbook and is atom based. Ran windows xp fine, but is really slow for watching twitch.tv and youtube.

It is a little smaller than a square sandwich.

Still waiting on the GGPO question

If I can implant this into my body, then it’s a wrap. The day of the Man-Machine union has come at last.

Jokes (Slightly joking) aside, This sounds like something CRAZY good. We all know that by next year this thing will most likely be four times as powerful as it is now, I’m sure that other technologies will increase (TV screens that’ll probalby fit on your glasses, keyboards you can probably use in mid-air, etc) yeah. Of course, I wanna see what it’s like in action, how it is used, all that good stuff, but I think this is gonna be good…and big. I’ll be staying tuned.

-Starhammer-