Red Pantie Addict Anonymous: Sakura General Discussion!

sakura

Apparently you can’t CL.HP xx H.Tatsu vs Honda, lol. Also happens vs. Dan, but just those two.

Thanks @shano again for the video. Towards the last half of the video, most of the “punishes” weren’t really punishes since you did the air tatsu’s preemptively. Regardless though, I’m gonna start using the neutral jump kara ex tatsu to punish people whiffing normals similar to how divekick characters play mindgames by neutral jumping.

@Callisto
You got mine
www.youtube.com/user/funkiesan/videos

Not counting frametraps to catch opponents during prejump, what would be the best way to catch an opponent that is trying to jump out or pressure in the corner? st.MK?

L.Shou. If you hit them higher up you can convert it to L.Otoshi.

Alternatively, level 2 Hado, that’ll let you juggle after if they come down on top of it.

I should start using that more often, I try to air to air with jump back MP typically. I AA like nobody’s business with lp dp > mp dp midscreen though

I went into training and found the characters that cr.lk OS cr.mk hits grounded so you can get a full combo by cancelling it into srk if they backdash. On some characters a perfectly meaty cr.lk and fastest possible chain with OS will catch them airborne so delay either the initial cr.lk or the chain and it will hit all the characters listed.

Cr.lk, cr.lp~cr.mk OS (hits grounded) xx srk

Can do off perfect meaty and fastest chain (slight delay works too):
Zangief, Gouken, Cody, Fuerte, T.Hawk, Dee Jay, Adon

Needs very slight delay on either the cr.lk OR the chain :
Ryu, Ken, E.Honda, Akuma, Sakura, Oni, Abel, M.Bison (can also block EX PC), Rolento (beats hop back too), Poison

I haven’t really used this much in real games but it doesn’t seem too hard to confirm their backdash and cancel the cr.mk. As you can see it’s decent vs M.Bison especially as you can do this OS and still block reversals. Also I was surprised it caught Poison because I thought she had a gdlk backdash lol.

Not sure if anyone will use this really but in theory it’s pretty much the optimal OS for backdashes outside of U1 and it’s always nice to play theoryfighter :^).

It seems everywhere ever has the startup for Haru Ichiban listed wrong. Brady guide shows 6 for M/H versions and 7 for LK versions, SRK Wiki and FATool show 7 all-around for all 3. I tested several -6 moves yesterday and could reliably punish them with all three versions of reversal super, I’m pretty sure it’s 6f startup on all three.

Video I made on S.HK resets

Nice vid man, this would definitely come in handy for closing out a game when you have meter to burn.

You can also do a similar setup meterless by doing an early j.lk reset after ex.tatsu and walking forward a little then jumping and you’ll get the reverse jump shenanigans, but it’s harder to do than this version and also does less damage since you use j.lk instead of cl.hk. Also I don’t think you can get an empty jump lk off that setup whereas with yours its almost a 50/50 but needs 2 meters so like I said it would be good to close out rounds or if you were in the last round in need of a big comeback or something.

Very good stuff Leggo.

Might be the wrong place to ask, but I’ll try.

What are people’s opinions on how strong Sakura is in Ultra now? I picked her up in 2012, but didn’t really get “good” with her until Ultra times (was mainly on Ryu for the majority of my early SF4 days), so I never really played with j.hp or hard knockdown setups then.

Personally, having mained her for a good chunk of Ultra now, I feel she can barely be considered as strong as she once was (when I was hearing she was top 10 material). She is just too one dimensional as a character. Yes, all it takes is the right cr.mk, the correct jump in, or a yolo ex tatsu, but thats all she is. In fact, I think she relies too heavily on cr.mk to get anything started, and against characters with good footsies she has a hard time ever getting any momentum going. You also need to be fairly on-point with her links also, which is a thing.

No doubt her up-close pressure is amazing. Without that, she wouldn’t be viable.

Maybe in the days when j.hp beat legitimate anti-airs she was a bigger threat since people had to respect her jump in much more, but with that weakened I feel she just doesn’t have enough solid options to get in. An above average ground approach with a meh air approach means less the opponent has to worry about. Not to mention her bad wake-up game; she is almost as screwed hard if the opponent is going in on her as much as they are if she is going in on them.

Give her a solid fireball like Ryu’s and I’d flip the script on everything. But that would be broken (or called Evil Ryu).

Shes not top tier imo but she is still good man. It’s just harder now because no more free corner escape tatsus, j.hp slightly weaker, ex tatsu +2 from +4, air tatsus midscreen to bait anti airs is not as reliable now, u2 to catch crossups pretty much gone, dwu(obviously), etc etc.

If they fixed her EX DP getting blocked after first hit when going through a Fireball at a decent range then she would be really really good imo.

She got great meterless damage, great stun, amazing anti air in cr.hp(problem is she does not get rewarded well for anti airing in terms of damage and stuff like some other chars do for example Ryu DP FADC Ultra), good mixups, yeah her footsie game is pretty predictable, backdash aint the greatest, good frametraps, ex hadouken buff is nice, st.hp buff is cool but very limited in use due to the startup.

I wouldn’t change her hadouken to be like Ryu’s it would make her too good imo. Maybe adjust the recovery frames slightly or make her hadou go fullscreen is all i would change.

So for buffs i feel all she really needs is EX DP fix and maybe a slight buff on her hadou recovery wouldn’t hurt.

Sakura is upper-mid, but that is a very compressed part of the list and the reasons she isn’t higher has more to do with other characters’ strengths than her weaknesses. Ultra is much more ground-based than AE, and she is one of very few characters that can turn a far range whiff punish into 400 damage and 500 stun.

IMO this is the strongest version of her to exist when not accounting for what delayed wakeup did to the overall game. All she really needs is for Shouoken to be properly fixed. Her bad wakeup is her tradeoff for her offensive power; she still has all the tools in the world to keep from getting knocked down in the first place if you play solid. I really enjoy where she’s at now, the way she requires a mix of old school footsies and new school execution.

Yeah pretty much, shes fine as is and very well balanced apart from her EX Shouken getting blocked on hit when reading a projectile at mid range.

You know how people joke that there are “25 characters in the top 10”? Sakura feels like one of those characters to me. She’s not exceptional in this version, but she’s definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not many characters have her damage potential, and very few have the option to reliably land said damage from a whiff punish. Her offensive game is very strong, obviously, both in terms of options and rewards. Her buttons are good and cover most bases in neutral. Her wakeup is pretty bad, but that’s just something you have to live with.

She feels like a character that requires you to play well with to win. At the same time, she actually rewards you very well if you play well, which is more than enough to offset her weaknesses in my opinion. She has no truly terrible matchups either, as far as I know.

tldr: she’s a good character.

That ex.dp thing still whiffing on predicted fireball at midscreen still makes me sad.

I’ve just been focusing on her negatives recently, so my post may have given the impression that I think she is worse than I actually believe. I definitely agree; she is too good to just be mid with the potential reward she gives when you actually get in. I always feel I can win if I can land one cr.mk.

She doesn’t need any dramatic buffs to make her really good. Some tweaks to frame data or some slight hitbox extensions and she could be amazing. I do believe she could use a slight buff, but no idea in what way to make it both relevant and not broken.

I really think she’s somewhere in the middle, there are just so many good characters now that it’s hard placing her above 30 other characters, no doubt she’s still good and very viable though.

Edit: deleted. Just moved question to question thread.