Replacing the USB cable on the SFIV TE Stick

My flipping puppy decided to play tug-o-war with my TE Stick cable in the middle of a match. The controller is still functioning with some help of electrical tape but I’m dead sure I’m gonna need to replace it sooner or later and I prefer sooner. Anyone else have any experience replacing the USB cable on the TE, regardless how it happened?

Which part? The detachable usb end? If it is, just use a wired controller end if possible.

You have two options, you can repair the cable via splicing, or abandon the chewed up part and resolder the cable to the PCB. Both methods will involve soldering and wire stripping, I’d suggest looking for someone who is experienced in these areas to help you.

splicing

[details=Spoiler]This produces a somewhat ugly result, but it’s the easier of the two methods.

Make two cuts in the cable to remove the chewed up part, and resplice the wires. You will need a soldering iron and solder, electrical tape, a nail clipper.

Once you’ve cut the cable, you should find 4 wires, a bunch of white fibers, and some foil. Strip some of the black insulation using the nail clippers, and then trim off the white fibers and foil. They’ll just get in the way. Do this to both ends of the cable.

Using the nail clippers, very carefully strip the 4 colored wires. Apply a bit of pressure, enough to grasp the insulation but not enough to cut through the wire, and pull.

Then splice each of the pairs of 4 wires to each other, tape up with electrical tape, and then some duct tape over the entire thing to make it look neater. You should be able to find plenty of guides to splicing, just google “cable splicing”.[/details]

resoldering the cable

[details=Spoiler]This produces the neatest result, but is harder and is more likely to go badly.

You’ll need a soldering iron and solder, a nail clipper, a desoldering bulb, and a ton of patience. (well imo you do, working with tiny stranded wire and soldering them to points is a pain in the ass)

Open up the TE, and cut the cable, leaving as much of it intact on the end with the USB plug as you possibly can.

Look at the TE’s PCB, and look for where the USB cable was soldered to the PCB. Using your soldering iron and desoldering bulb, desolder the USB cable from the PCB.

Take the good end of the USB cable and prep it for soldering: You should find 4 wires, a bunch of white fibers, and some foil. Strip some of the black insulation using the nail clippers, and then trim off the white fibers and foil. Using the nail clippers, very carefully strip the 4 colored wires. Apply a bit of pressure, enough to grasp the insulation but not enough to cut through the wire, and pull.

Put the cable through the hole into the TE (you don’t want to do all this only to forget to do that) Solder the 4 colored wires to their spots on the PCB. White: D-, Green: D+, Black: GND, Red: VCC/+5V.[/details]

i do joystick dual mods and can fix this for you easily (at a cost). lmk

Cool psyche, your in my area, I’ll hit you up. thanks.

Soo is there any way to buy the adapter itself? It’s all i want really.

Not that I can know of but I’m contacting Psyche about replacing the USB cable with a port and possibly toggle.