Review: V2VPro Composite to VGA Adapter, play your PS2 games on a gaming monitor

With CRTs sadly on the verge of extinction we’ve had to put away all the great last generation fighting games. BC 60/80gb PS3s have unplayable input delay, and most HDTVs will add tremendous amounts of display lag for an SD console. Tournaments are now using gaming monitors more and more, but that leaves out the great fighters from the DC and PS2.

So I really needed a way to play my old PS2 games on my ASUS monitor, while being able to capture and record footage for cost effective SD streaming as well. I bit the bullet and blind ordered the MyGica V2VPro Video to VGA converter hoping it would answer my wishes. Well i just got it in and its time to test out if this things worth it.

Package comes with an power adapter, composite video cable, 3.5mm audio cable, VGA input cable(not an actual VGA cable), and the V2V Pro itself. The device is rather light and feels flimsy, however i’d imagine it shouldn’t be taking any kind of impact or damage anyways.

Setting up is pretty straight forward, everything is labeled so you just need to put the composite inputs from the console and (your own) VGA cable to the monitor. Word of advise though, composite video looks terrible, but svideo is crystal sharp. If using one of these i highly recommend investing in svideo cables for your console it makes a world of difference. The device also deinterlaces incoming signals and displays it progressively on the monitor. Though not quite 480p it is a huge improvement over flickering CRT’s and bad aliasing and ghosting on HDTV’s.

There are also buttons on the device to configure resolution settings and whatnot. There are 4:3 and 16:10 resolutions only, but here’s the catch; some games output at different resolutions and may add black bars so you have to be careful to pick the appropriate resolution for your monitor.

In the case of guilty gear it gave me black bars on the side which squished the image at 4:3 resolution despite being a 4:3 game. I ended up running it at 1440x900 to get a properly scaled image.

GGAC through composite @ 1440x900

GGAC through svideo @ 1440x900

Using the PS3 video was outputted at a solid 4:3, so I used 1280x1024. Then set it to 16:9 on the ps3 and let the monitor stretch the image across the screen. Its not pretty, but it fills the whole screen and you can play your HD fighters in proper aspect ratio.

BBCS composite @ 1280x1024

BBCS svideo @ 1280x1024

BBCS HDMI @ 480p

Now for the moment of truth, does it lag?. For this test i did the not completely thorough but good enough stopwatch timer test. I took several dozen pictures of the monitor next to a CRT TV using a stopwatch video on the PS3 and compared the differences in times. The ASUS monitor combined with the VGA converter had a consistent range of 0-40ms of lag compared to a CRT roughly 0-2 1/2 frames, this is pretty close to what the monitor naturally displays with HDMI on an HD console. Seeing as how the monitor and converter was able to achieve 0ms of lag and not spiking over 50ms often, It would be safe to assume that the converter itself does not add any additional display lag.

So in conclusion I’d say the converter was definitely worth the buy just to be able to play PS2 without terrible amounts of lag from an HDTV or PS3 emulation.

I ordered mine from Amazon and they are now currently out of stock, here is a newer version of the same device for $29.99

Converting component/composite to VGA?

This is the one you tested?: Video zu Monitor VGA SVGA XGA SXGA Konverter PS2 Xbox bei eBay.de: Microsoft Xbox (endet 21.01.11 14:22:07 MEZ)

And this is the newer version?: VGA Konverter HD Gamebox - Konsole an VGA LCD TFT 1080p bei eBay.de: Sony Playstation 3 (endet 11.02.11 19:20:10 MEZ)

Thanks for the review. I’m interested in getting one of those. :3