RJ-45 Multi Console Cthulhu Arcade Stick Tutorial Ver.2

Also if you wanted to use a Neutrik ethercon you would have to use a special “push-pull” locking version.
http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/dataconnectors/210_t2_1217768028/NE8MC6-MO_detail.aspx
And I’ve not found these for sale online, but then again I didn’t look very hard.

Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Ha, yeah, finally got my hands on a multimeter and did some continuity tests and found a slight difference in the cable my initial observations didn’t catch. My NES cable works perfectly now. Now to try for a Saturn one…

I tried to solder the MC Cthulhu to the pins of this Neutrik connector:

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/210_t2_364779420.jpg

Unfortunately, soldering wires to pins which are not tied mecanically to a PCB resulted in lots of shorts. In the course of events, one of the Neutrik pins was also completely FUBAR. Is my Neutrik connector good for the bin or can I buy individual special pins for this connector. Does anyone know ?

I changed this Neutrik to one of those recommanded by rtdezign (the one with terminal strips soldered at the rear - more expensive OK but so much more convenient !). This morning, I had the pleasure to see that neither the MC Cthulhu nor the madcatz PCB that was soldered to it was fried. Losing both PCBs (not even mentioning wiring) got me a little nervous, I must confess :sweat:

Making me want to go to the fleamarket and find a NES :smiley:

Even though I can emulate the games on my PC just fine, something about jiggling NES cartridges, blowing on them and cleaning with rubbing alcohol makes the real thing so much more fun :smiley:

I have a lot of the NES classics on my virtual console on the wii as well.

Dude, thanks for putting all this info in an easy to follow tutorial. Thanks to this thread I did my NES, SNES & Saturn cables without any difficulty! (except I had to sand down some of the insulation on the NES/SNES wires for them to fit into the RJ45 plug)

Would a usb to RJ-45 adapter like [ETHERNET 10/100 NETWORK ADAPTER USB TO LAN RJ45 CARD - eBay (item 190368894214 end time Jul-27-10 07:14:18 PDT)"]this](http://cgi.ebay.com/ETHERNET-10-100-NETWORK-ADAPTER-USB-LAN-RJ45-CARD-/190368894214?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c52decd06) work work also?

I just don’t feel like taking off the female b on a working chtulhu.

No. If you RJ-45 mod the Cthulhu, you can leave the female B alone.

On the boards that I used, I took off the USB B sockets just to see how hard it was to remove, but I didn’t have to. I then did it twice for symmetry.

That USB adaptor, I’m pretty sure it won’t work for what i’m guessing your thinking.

Okay thanks, I was just pondering if there was a way to convert a usb 4 to an 8 pin socket externally.

Now for another subject, will these fit the holes so you can just crimp & plug these?

I have to ask, where’s a good place to get the RJ45 boots and jacks without having to buy like packs of 50? After all, I’m only gonna be using about 4 or 5.

Try looking for small electronics hobby stores on yelp.com

Ok, I’m having some diff. with wiring the GC extension wire I received from ebay. It’s a 10ft. white extension, here’s the link 10 ft controller extension cord Nintendo Wii/Gamecube - eBay (item 260627147414 end time Jul-28-10 09:35:11 PDT). Now I’ve tried wiring the 3 top rows to the RJ45, but doesn’t seem to read.

I’ve updated the firmware on the MC and evened wired my other one in reverse thinking I might have wired it backwards, but didn’t wort either. My PS3/USB ones work fine.

I’m wondering if it’s the extension itself or just me? Here’s a pic

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs100.snc4/36387_109321512451519_100001210110868_76250_7377603_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs100.snc4/36387_109321515784852_100001210110868_76251_457072_n.jpg

Anyone got some suggestions? Got some errands to run, but if anything, I’ll try the bottom row of green, blue, and yellow as a last resort.

get a multimeter and a thin wire… there’s a youtube video i think for the gamecube

[media=youtube]VdJ6IgRR_Bw[/media]

Pah. Live in too small of a town for anything even remotely close. Looks like I can get enough for 50 for about $10 shipped on amazon, though. Hmm. I’ll just experiment around, lol. Ethernet port to something random like micro USB so that I can use my camera on a wired connection. Lol.

For some reason GC wires always give me the most problems. I always get it backwards, then get the crimp pins backwards. It is best to take a break from it for a few hours and start over from scratch with a fresh mind.

Thanks Torta & rt, will give it another shot when I get home. Will post results

Ok, I’m getting too frustrated with this! Rt, you got a pair of 6ft. GC RJ45 nodded wires up for sale?

At the moment no, I don’t have any GC wires around. Try posting in the trading forum for one.

I was looking around the forum to find out if there were any variants of the RJ-45 ports that do not require screws to configure into the case. Reason being is that i’m receiving a case that I would prefer not to have drilled around and would like to find another way to add the jack in and secure it without damaging the case.

I think I saw on one of the older threads where someone had used a Keystone RJ-45 jack and cut a hole in a button plug. That said, I’m not sure how you could have the RJ-45 and not drill some sort of hole in the case, unless there was already a 24mm hole in said case for you to use