RPGs that are worth playing

I’ve been playing Chrono Cross again over these last few days and my God, I missed old school RPGs like this. It’s been a long time since an RPG has grabbed me, and forced me to play it until I finished it. I few old school rpgs have come out recently, none of which I have had the chance to play, but I would love to.

I guess this thread is directed more towards turn based RPGs. Elder Scrolls, the new Fallout, and games like that don’t really fit the games I used to love oh so much. The turn based RPG has died and has been replaced with action RPGs. I’m crushed by this. So I decided to make this thread to get the low down on any new rpgs (or new-ish) that have come out, and the old school stuff that we would still go back and play today.

So first things first. I hear Blue Dragon is mediocre but what I really want to know is if the story is any good. To put it simply, is the Blue Dragon storyline anything new and fresh? Or is it just the same old shit we’ve seen a million times?

World of Warcraft

Do yourself a favor and buy Mass Effect. It’s not turn-based, but it’s still the best thing ever.

I’ve already beaten Mass Effect and the story was soooo god damn good. Loved every second of that game.

That’s great. Play it again.
On the real, though, I’m not the best person to talk to when it comes to role-playing games. My favorite Japanese RPG is Final Fantasy X-2, and while I do think that game is sickeningly underappreciated, I realize that it ain’t for everyone.

Dancer class was under appreciated. I agree though, that game was wayyy better than people wanted to admit. I know a lot of people who wouldn’t even play it because you were girls the entire game.

Blue Dragon is awesome. It’s basically Dragon Quest for the 360.

• suikoden 1 and 2
  • dragon quest 8
  • persona 3 and 4

off the top of the dome

But how is the story?

I’m really split inbetween my want for either a DSi or a PSP. Thoughs?

Songstress had its uses early on and it was oh so cute, but near the end of the game, you have enemies who are immune to most of the status effects Songstress can offer. If you played a more defensive party with a single attacking class(preferably a Gunner with Cat Nip), however, I could see Songstress’s buffs being mildly useful, especially if you have an Alchemist to back you up with heals. The only class I genuinely found useless from beginning to end was Black Mage, which proves that black magic is only effective when channeled through a pair of gargantuan, heaving breasts full to bursting with mother’s milk. Since all of the Gullwings are either flat or damn near it, they really should leave the elemental tomfoolery to Lulu.

Cosign

I’m not an RPG man by any means (well, JRPGs at least, I love Mass Effect and Fallout 3) but I will never forget both of these games. So god damn good. And I just learned Suikoden 1 is like 5 bucks on PSN. There should be no reason why a connoisseur of RPGs doesn’t have it.

Come to think of it, those two are the only RPG’s I really, truly enjoy.

The reason I liked the Songstress so much early on is for the blind effect. Absolutely decimates most of the enemies early on. I can’t even remember all of the classes there were, or what I used the most. Did you get the 100% complete ending?

Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2. Fighting game fans will appreciate the combat.

I haven’t beaten the game yet. I intend to get the perfect ending, though.
My favorite dressphere combination is Gun Mage(Yuna), Alchemist(Rikku), and Dark Knight(Paine).

You want a story focus?

I recommend the Witcher (Enhanced Edition, I heard the first release was buggy to all hell). I just finished it today myself. Non-linear story too, and not in the sense that “lolGood/lolEvil” but more along the lines of choices you have to make, who to let live and who to let die, who to side with, etc. Note that some of the decisions you make don’t have an effect until whole chapters later sometimes.

It’s not a turn based RPG though.

I’m not sure what kind of story you’re looking for too, but if you want turn based and gripping, focusing on a very small set group of characters, then try Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. Fun gameplay, gripping story about wanting to go see the outside world, and you can initiate a New Game + anytime you want and, depending on what rank you are when you activate it, you can see new story sequences when you play it again.

And if you’re going for turn based and atmospheric story + writing, then you’ll want Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. It’s very traditional turn based + combination moves that do a whole gamut of things (extra damage, hit more than one person, buff/debuff, target certain ways, etc) that make things interesting.

You might also want to look into the Avernum series. They’re indie PC titles, with low budget everything, but the gameplay is satisfyingly good and the writing is good (probably to compensate for the low budget look :lol:).

Now to get in on the FFX-2 talk.

For late game Songstress, I’d only ever use the one that casts Haste on everyone, cause the damn monsters were immune to everything.

Universal Hastega was essentially what kept Songstress from sucking ass.

earthbound
ff8
super mario rpg

Already beat mass effect? beat it again and again and again and again.

The play knights of the old republic 1 n 2.

After that play these in no particular order:
vagrant story
skies of arcadia
grandia
planescape: torment

Both fucking Persona 2s.
Xenogears
Motherfucking Planescape Torment
Fallout 2
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (get the fan patch too)