Ryu vs Yun match up

ryu

Hey, as a fellow Ryu player I find this match up to be the hardest for Ryu. Ryu’s st. Roundhouse doesn’t quite work as well on Yun as it does on other chars because Yun usually stays up close when he starts this jump up and let the opponent guess wether he parrys the anti air or does a dive kick game.
Srk doesn’t work too well either because it’s just one hit.
EX Srk seem like a good choice because of its speed(you can do it on reaction if you see yun doing his dive kick) but I’m burning my meter mostly for EX hadoukens(I’m playing SAI) but even if I didn’t, this stupid guessing game starts ever so often I can’t waste my complete meter on ex shoryukens.

Is there a better way to deal with him? I find it quite hard to parry on reaction because I don’t have that much experience against yun so I lack the timing.

Help would be appreciated :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah if you have anything else to add don’t hesitate.

quote…EX Srk seem like a good choice because of its speed(you can do it on reaction if you see yun doing his dive kick) but I’m burning my meter mostly for EX hadoukens(I’m playing SAI) but even if I didn’t, this stupid guessing game starts ever so often I can’t waste my complete meter on ex shoryukens.

THAT IS WHY YOUR LOSING… IF YOU ARE GETTING YOUR DAMAGE OFF OF EX SHORYUKENS THEN DO THE EX SHO… YOUR STATE OF MIND IS “I NEED EX FIREBALLS” YOUR FOCUSED ON LANDING EX FIREBALLS FOR DAMAGE INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON JUST DAMAGING YUN IN ANY MEANS POSSIBLE… PLUS EX SHO TAKES OFF MORE DAMAGE THAN EX FIREBALL…

Eh it’s not like I’m losing every encounter with a yun :bgrin: I was just hoping for better ways to keep the jumpy little bastard at bay.
Believe me at a tournament I will EX Srk his ass as often as it is necessary but it can’t hurt to know how other players handle this.

well u can throw in j.mp to throw em off…

parry,fp,ex joudan, RH tatsu

ownage

or he can block when he gets down, ownage back

yun vs shotos is suppose to be the toughest match up for yun. Its not suppose to be the other way around. If you have ken or ryu and its hard for you to fight, your doing something wrong. Everyone loses more or less but the shotos should set the tempo of the match. IMO I think ryu does better against yun than ken. Ryu’s ex tatsu is useful when yun is playing range game.

Alot of scrubby yuns even a few good yuns do his chain to lp shoulder tackle. Thats when you red parry\parry and make the opp pay. Ive seen people red parry the mp at the end of the chain. The Genejin only hurts if you get hit by it. I usually just crouch because yuns overhead is non comboable. Also, I dont think you can get a meaty UOH against a crouching OPP. I just look for the command grab and c.strong the opp.

EX srk doesnt work well. If you tried that shit against me, id fucking stomp your ass. 2 hit air parry pssh simple sauce.

yeah I doubt that you could parry the ex srk when used as a counter for the dive kick. Unless you can parry during the dive kick.

It’s just that part of yuns game that I have problems with, ground to ground he’s no problem.

in a REAL match the ex sho for dive kicks will work… but youll only land 2 at the most a match cuz a smart player will know not to do too many dive kicks… gotta have some ST uppercut reflexes to counter them dive kicks though lol

yes, if i got hit by it once, id watch out the next time id jump. Its not that hard to air parry 2 hits. If you think your ex srk is going to make or break a yun match up, your wrong.

parry, s.fp, ex joudan, RH tatsu
c.mk,ex tatsu
c.mk,ex hadoken

the ex tatsu will combo on crouching opps. c.mk, lk tatsu doesnt work on crouching opps. IMO ex srk is weak. An ex joudan combo will do more damage and take away the same amount of meter(not sure). Ex srk only works when the opp starts parrying your reg srk attempts or as someone stated, as a counter. Ex srk as a counter wont work for long.

personally i try not to parry dive kicks because they are comboable. I red parry the mp during yuns chain. Red parrying is probably the best way to shut down the dive kick game or you can just block it.

greensyo: if someone does a divekick with whatever char they can block INSTANTLY when getting on the ground, so that punishing stuff you write is wrong, the only way Yun’s get hit is because they dont block

err the situations matters if someone comes with a high dive kick IT IS punishable if its a low one c.mk beats out yuns s.jab
i swear most of the people on here are scrubs

lets play for some money 10$ a match 10 matches which equates to 100$ try all the shit u want to try

hahahahahahaLOL

sure no prob, youre coming to holland? :wink:

and im not trying to talk shit, BUT IF A YUN SEES HIS DIVEKICK GETTING PARRIED AND HE’S NOT A SCRUB HE SHOULD AND PROBABLY WILL BLOCK

edit: or techthrow accordingly :wink:

WTF dude you were the one saying that denjin can’t be parried in certain situations even when people told you it can be :xeye: And now you are calling people scrubs.

hah doesnt matter :wink:

in any case: you can punish divekicks with s.hp, yes, but you cannot combo after it if the Yun just blocks

crouching strong

hey man i know what you can do. To keep Yun at Bay or on the ground most of the time. I actually learned this the other day my self. Well his dive kick leaves him wide open. there are a few tricks with Ryu you can do. First off you must stay at a low foward range. ok now you have an advantage over him. As soon as you see him do a dive kick prepare your self and when he gets near the ground and about to land throw out a sweeping roundhouse and trip his ass. Then you can try to rush him into the corner and keep him preasured by throwing of course EX fireballs and things that will not wana make him jump. The thing is he cant avoid the low roundhouse. He cant parry it or anything. so your safe. another thing you can do is when yun is doing a dive kick throw a ex fireball at him and rush him into the corner and do the samething and preasure him. other than that theres not much left you can do. Thats is what you can do.

Good idea on the low roundhouse but its kinda risky cause if he blocks (and this has happened to me before) then you’ll eat a lunge punch. What you guys need to realize is that Yun has a nice air game, but the way to beat him is to jump when he jumps. knock him out of the air, try to practice red parry on his second or third hit of the built in combo…ie standing short or standing strong.

Punish with combos like standing fierce into Ex kick and roundhouse hurricane kick after he falls off the wall if you are in the middle of the screen. This combo applies major pressure cause this forces them into the corner. If they are already in the corner, use a fierce DP instead RH hurricane.

If both of you have low energy, a good Yun will know that Ryu is going to chip him for the end of the match with an EX Fireball. So they will use an EX shoulder once they see the Fireball come out cause it goes right underneath it. So try to get close and use Duck Forward kick into either an EX hurricane kick or EX Fireball.

Also use Kara Throws…this is a major plus with Ryu. This allows for a better high/low game. When you mix it up and eventually they are going to whiff a throw you punish by doing duck forward super (SA1) or hurricane kick knocking them down if you want to gain meter or save meter to do [hint hint] (SA3) on get up. (NOTE: Strong advice is to throw a regular fireball first and super cancel into SA3.)

I hope this helps, I learned alot playing against Exodus for a couple years now. He is my rival and great friend. Well Later.

actually you’re wrong yun can combo his uoh and how you think you can parry something while doing a divekick is beyond me