Samurai Shodown V Special

Rera is completely insane once she is on the wolf. She then has access to heavy hitting normals that leave her on frame advantage on block and on hit, and that can be dash cancelled on hit and block, meaning you can cancel the slash into a dash after you hit.

The only good Rera user I know of is M216xLegendx, and he is an expert with her, so if anyone were to write about her, it should be him.

Charlotte dominates the air. She has a fast jump, amazing air normals, and a great anti-air with Power Gradation ( :dp: + slash). On the ground, poke with stand :snkb: , Violet Thrust ( :qcb: + slash), and Tri-Thrust ( :qcf: + slash). That’s the extent of my knowledge on her.

Jubei’s :qcf: + :snka: / :snkb: are awesome projectiles. They go really low to the ground, so they slides under most other fireballs and even a lot of reflectors. The :snka: :snkb: version is like Geese’s Double Reppuken: first swing absorbs projectiles, second swing sends a fireball, which chips three or four times. Jubei has three counters: :qcb: + :snka: counters crouching normals. :qcb: + :snkb: counters standing normals. :qcb: + :snkc: counters jumping attacks. His :snka: and :snkc: counters will counter special moves regardless of whether they hit high, low, or medium. His :dp: + slash attacks make him invincible while he is dashing. His :snka: :snkb: normals are all very slow and cumbersome, and his :snkb: moves, while good pokes, are a little on the slow side.

Please feel free to correct me on anything, I don’t use either character much.

EDIT: Also, what are some good anti-Kusaregedo tips?

Bump?

So I played a few more matches and I’m beginning to suck less with Yoshitora. I had really underestimated the strength of his :qcf: + :snkb: . It leads to an absolutely wicked mixup: if they block high, use :d: + :snka: :snkb: , if they block low, use an air :qcf: + :snka: / :snkb: tiger knee’d from a :snkb: :snkc: . If they try to go for a throw, lie down/hop and :dp: + :snkc: . All three of these knock down. His sweep is safe, and his air slash moves him back, and you can confirm his :dp: + :snkc: from a lie down/hop in your sleep.

Third bump. Sorry, I know it’s frowned upon, but I’m only doing this because I found out something that I haven’t seen posted anywhere else.

Apparently, if you combo two one-hit hard attacks in a row, the enemy will be knocked down instead of just going into hitstun. However, if you do something else in between the two hard attacks, the opponent will not be knocked down. This takes effect in both normal gameplay and both state of nothingness. For example, if Jubei activates state of nothingness and goes :snka: + :snkb: = :snka: + :snkb: , the oppoent will be knocked down on the second attack (assuming it hits, of course). However, if he goes :snka: + :snkb: = :snkb: = :snka: + :snkb: , the opponent will not be knocked down. This applies for all one-hit hard slashes that normally result in hitstun, including jumping and crouching ones.

EDIT: oh, and there are four characters that get hit by Yoshitora’s :qcf: + :snka: + :snkb: while standing : Mizuki, Kusaregedo, Gaira, and Zankuro.

can anyone give me any strats or point me to any write-ups for the following characters:

suija, hanzo, galford

I used to love this game. Played it all the time online. My biggest issue getting back into it is that I played it with a pad that had all sorts of shortcuts set up, and now I play on a stick and have no idea how to control the game.

would love to see a port of this on XBLA.

I have SSZero on PS2 and it’s awesome. would love to try the special version.

Black Shroud has written essay’s on this game. http://i-musing.com/heavenly/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=212

Suija is god tier. Everyone else has a chance.

Anyone know of a good SS forum BESIDES SamuraiSpiritsForever? I’ve signed up 2 or 3 times and they never send me my password (which you need to even lurk over there. X_X )

anyway to get SS5sp in the US? Anthology only has vanilla 5.

Or, is there even a point since Anthology has SS6? Which game is most played by people? (5sp or 6?)

i wouldn’t say she dominates the air, but i’ll add a few things.
Charlotte 5 middle slash is good. but her 5 and 2 heavy slash is awesome. its because its comes out extremely fast and has massive reach in conjunction with that speed.
keep in mind unlike the vast majority of the cast…she has her weapon in the hand that is at all times facing the opponent.
unlike a character that always has to draw their sword from its scabbard and is drawn with the hand that is furthest away from the opponent.
in other words her sword has less area to travel before striking the opponent, therefore it “telegraphs” less in the eyes of any player whos facing up against her. its hard to read.
she’s a fencer.
so think like a fencer.
poke, jab, and stab with her middle and heavy slash as much as you can.
Violet Thrust has massive massive reach and is a great keep away.
her Tri-Thrust is great for pushing a turtling opponent into the corner…and great for widdling down an opponent’s life bar when its really low. the only way to really defend yourself against it is with hyper guard if your health is really low.
her projectile is pretty safe for her since its has great height to it and is a good anti-air since its pretty hard to jump over for some characters.
um…
if your playing SS6, i recommend customizing spirits 1 and 5 for her. those are her best spirits, imo.

Anyone still play this?

No.

Yes.

Yes, you can find us on GGPO. Thread to get you started.

A few of us have been playing this on Fightcade and there’s even a Discord chat going for the game if anyone’s interested. https://discord.gg/V5ZYX

It says the invite has expired.

Here try this one: https://discord.gg/wNxv3R5

hey guys! huge fan of this game is this still activity played?

@geni Yes it is. Hit the Samurai Shodown Talk thread in Fighting Game Discussion, and also join our discord: https://discord.gg/wNxv3R5