Saulabi 4k vs. HRAP3 (customized)

Hi everyone!

I’m quite new to the whole Arcade-Stick thing, but I’ve spend some time reading the SRK Forums and gathering a bit of information, but there are still some questions that I have and that might be answered by you guys :slight_smile:

First of all, I want to buy my first Arcade-Stick in a few days and as I have heard, the HRAP3 is one of the best Sticks out there, and the Saulabi 4k is also pretty good, though it’s not a “professional” stick, if I got that correct.

I also read, that the buttons on most sticks aren’t that good and most people remove them for custom parts. I found an Online-Store, that sells Sanwa/Seimitsu Parts in my country (I come from germany) and I’m able to get Sanwa and/or Seimitsu parts (buttons, sticks, etc.).

But there is one thing, that I’ve come to think about:

The Saulabi is around 37 ? at Play-asia and the HRAP3 comes for 97 ?, and the Hori stick is said to have the better “stock parts” than the Saulabi.

But because I’m wanting to change the buttons (maybe the stick too) anyway, what is the difference, between those two sticks, if I want to remove the stick/buttons anyway? Except from the fact that the Saulabi does not have the easy disconnects, like the HRAP.

Is it only a question of design, or is the HRAP in other categories better than the Saulabi, for example delay on button pressing or something?

That question is going through my head for days now and I couldn’t find any satisfying answer. Because if there is not that much difference, after replacing the buttons and/or the stick by custom-ones, I could safe pretty much money, keeping in mind that it’s just my first “tryout” with those sticks, but I also want to “mod” them a bit.

The parts I want to use are:

Sanwa OBSF-30 Buttons/Seimitsu PS-14-G-BK
Sanwa JLW-TM-8 Stick, or I’m able to get different Seimitsu sticks (LS-32, LS-32-01, LS-33, LS-40, LS-56, LS-64, but I haven’t informed myself about the Seimitsu sticks, but I know that the Sanwa JLW-TM-8 should fit in the Saulabi and/or HRAP3, please correct me if I’m wrong).

So, I hope you understand what I’m about to explain and can help me with my problem.

Thank you!!

Edit: I should perhaps add, that I’m buying this stick for my PS3 to play SSF2T HD Remix and SF4, no Marvel vs. Capcom or Mame games.

The quick disconnects is a pretty important thing, at least for me. Unless you’re comfortable soldering, quick disconnects are definitely the way to go. Also, the stock stick that comes with the HRAP is quite good, and you really wouldn’t have to replace it unless you have a strong preference for a particular stick that you know you like. I would vote for the HRAP, if only for the ease of modification I know it offers.

Saulabi expert: laugh

The Saulabi is using Korean standards.
You can not use the buttons you want to use on that Saulabi without extensive modification like making the buttons holes bigger.
The same goes for the joy stick.

Saulabi thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=152923
The Saulabi is a professional Tekken stick, whatever that may mean.

It is much safer to go with the Hori Real Arcade Pro at this point.

Thanks for the quick response!

I think I’m going to buy a HRAP3 then … but I’ve got one last question: play-asia offers 2 different versions of that stick: Japan and US. What’s the difference between those two sticks, because only the US-Version is available there… Will the parts I described fit in there? By the way, does anyone else knows a shop, that shipps to Germany/Europe for reasonable prices?

the HRAP3 is pretty heavy, so shipping is pretty expensive from every shop. I only know shops in japan that got the HRAP. :confused: I think I read that the USA version was worse than the Jap version but I dunno the reason.

If you don’t know hardedge already, go to hardedge.org it’s the german community forum.

hey, the HRAP have a Sanwa stick, the JLF-TP-8YS, then you dont need to change the stick, the buttons Hori are good too, if you want to change everything its just the buttons because the stick its already SANWA.

Whoever told you there is quality difference between the American and Japanese HRAP’s is full of it.

The American HRAP 3 is the same thing as the Japan version.

The only difference is the sticker on the bottom says “USA” instead of “Japan.” They’re put together in the same factory in China.

There are limited edition color runs of the HRAP produced for Japan (usually Amazon.jp for the last few variants) but the only difference from the regular black HRAP 3 is the color plastic dye put into the injection mold. Otherwise, same thing as the regular edition HRAP 3.

I have HRAPs manufactured for both territories… Same parts, sure feel the same to me…

HRAP’s are generally cheaper in Japan because they were meant to be sold in Japan. They’re more expensive elsewhere because of import duties/customs/shipping charges/price-gouging by distributors unless Hori specifically produces a run for another terrritory (like the US).