SBO/EVO QUALIFIERS / Midwest Championships (Northbrook, IL) June 20-22, 2008

PLEASE NOTE, THE TOP 2 PLAYERS in the FOLLOWING GAMES will earn QUALIFYING SPOTS for EVO VEGAS:

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Teaming with EVOLUTION and SHORYUKEN for the second straight year, the longest running major fighting game tournament in the United States enters year 15! If you’ve never been to this tournament north of Chicago, IL before, you will have the best bang for your buck of any arcade on the planet! 30 Free Play games, plus nearly 100 games all running on nickels!

For the 1st Time, Nickel City is proud to also be the host of one of the official US qualifiers for the Super Battle Opera (SBO) Japanese Fighting Game Championships!

10% of the pot from all the EVO tourneys (Super Turbo, 3rd Strike, CVS2, MVC2, Tekken DR, and Super Smash Bros Melee) will be donated to the SBO team.

Tournament Winnings Breakdown:
60%-1st Place
20%-2nd Place
10%-3rd Place
10%-SBO Teams

SRK/EVO are supporting SBO with this decision for donation of the 10% for each of the EVO games.

Team Winners of SBO tournaments will receive 10% proceeds of each EVO tournament to help fund trip to Tokyo for Super Battle Opera. There is not other financial assistance for the trip to Japan besides the proceeds from these tournaments.

Schedule:

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
June 20-22, 2008

Nickel City (formerly Super Just Games)
555 Waukegan Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
(847) 559-8727

Hotel INFO:

Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook/Deerfield #188
340 S Waukegan Road
Deerfield, IL 60015
(847) 205-1755

Joysticks to be used for each tournament:
CPS2 Arcade Games (ST, ALpha 3) will use: Competition Sticks from iL

3rd Strike and Marvel VS Capcom 2 will use: Happ Perfect 360 sticks with adjusted actuators.

Please note, there is a $20 cover charge to enter your first tournament. If you want to enter ONE tournament only, it’s going to be $20 + the entry fee for that specific tournament. You do not have to pay the $20 cover charge if you are only there to WATCH tournaments.

There is also a $2 entry fee to get into Nickel City EACH day of the tournament. That is NOT included as part of the cover charge.

SCHEDULE (Updated 3/3/08)
Friday, June 20
Signups for EACH tournament are approximate 1 HOUR before they begin!

12 NOON-Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade, 2/3 Double Elimination, $5 entry)

12 NOON-Street Fighter EX 3 (Console, 2/3 Double Elimination, $5 entry)

3 PM-Street Fighter 3: THIRD STRIKE ARCADE VERSION $10 entry, 2/3 Double Elimination,

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING 3rd STRIKE ARCADE TOURNAMENT;
SBO QUALIFIERS 3 on 3 TOURNAMENT
WINNERS QUALIFY FOR TEAM USA in SUPER BATTLE OPERA in Tokyo.
$60 PER TEAM

7 PM–“Mystery” Tournament (ANY FORMAT, DIFFERENT GAME EACH ROUND, CRAZY STUFF! $5 ENTRY, WINNER TAKES ALL!)

Saturday, June 21
11 AM-Guilty Gear Accent Core (Console, 2/3 Double Elimination, $10 entry)

3 PM-Capcom VS SNK 2 (Console Version, 2/3 Double Elimination, $10 entry)

7 PM-Super Street Fighter II Turbo (ARCADE VERSION, 2/3 Double Elimination, $10 entry)

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING ST ARCADE TOURNAMENT;
SBO QUALIFIERS 2 on 2 VS TOURNAMENT
WINNERS QUALIFY FOR TEAM USA in SUPER BATTLE OPERA
$40 PER TEAM

ST will be Game Newton rules: (Speed can be determined by both players, or by coin flip)

Team 1 Team 2
Player A PLayer A
Player B Player B

Team 1 PLayer A vs Team 2 PLayer A
Team 1 Player B vs Team 2 Player B

If Team 1 wins both, they advance. If games are tied 1-1, Winners from each match will face. One character throughout the tourney, but you can have O Ken and N Ken on same team.

Sunday, June 22
11 A.M-Marvel VS Capcom 2 Arcade Version 2/3 Double Elimination, $10 entry)

11 A.M-Super Smash Bros Brawl $10 ENTRY

4 P.M -Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection PlayStation 3 Version $10 ENTRY, 2/3 Double Elimination 3/5 Rounds.

Count me in :slight_smile:

I’m taking my stick again for Dream to use since he had so much success with it last year…

you know I’m in

I’m there.

if i get my money situated i am their :slight_smile:

Cant wait.

Let me know if you need any help.

Only thing I want to address: I just hope that this year the cabs are in GOOD condition. The larger cab (with 3s in it) was so bad a stick couldnt even be mounted properly in the 1p side. 3s on the small cabs was rough but the controls were fine on those.

Also: I believe everyone knows about the whole HAPP/iL situation now. Unless Amar has some special deal with HAPP if Comptetion sticks are to be used again, make sure they are the iL competions and not the new HAPP ones. The new HAPP comp sticks are very shitty knockoffs.

Just wanted to throw some of that out there early.

EVO NORTH WOOOT.

robbing hands*

hopefully i won’t be living here still by that time but if not i’ll be there like always for some tekken

Be cool is EVO announced their games.

Yeah, I’ll be there this year. Japan’s cool and all, but I think once was enough.

Hehehe alright can’t wait. Hopefully this year I don’t wind up getting Jwong again in my 2nd match in Cvs2,
Complete rape lol it was only my first tourney. :sweat:

Time to start practicing.

love jason wilson tourneys. Im there

wow an evo event. hmmmm i shall consult the cincy/cbus/dayton cats to come out to this. If theres a NGBC tourney, were bringin the fuckin pain

ill prolly be making it.

Might see if I can drag some Okies up to this. Just post up what will be console and what will be cab after Evo announces the game roster, plz. Need to know if I should invest in a new stick :looney:.

Humbag: We’re going to just use 360s this time on a couple of the games unless someone has a better idea. THe Comps were the IL ones since Happ is local.

Fact is for arcade, we have complaints about sticks regardless because people aren’t used to them.

We used Ultimates for ST, some did not like that. We used to use Happ 360s for ST, some did not like them, we used Wicos for ST, some did not like them.

We used WICO (new Happ) 360s for 3s, complaints from last year led to us using Comp Sticks, and there was MORE backlash this year because of them, so it’s back to Wico 360s for everything except the OG games…

I think as far as the cabinets go, you’re right, they need to be addressed. Screws need to be tightened, panels fixed, a lot needs to be done on those.

I wish marvel could be on good comps (I’m not the only one) and good concaves (I am the only one) but alas…

I will still go!

Yeah that was the main complaint last year. If the large cabs problems are fixed then i think everyone will be ok.

The sticks were actually pretty good last year and it was only the problems with the cabs iirc (some sticks were flakey but i didnt have much problems).

So are you going to be using the OG WICO 360’s (that are no longer in production correct?) or the new HAPP made 360s?

Im sure everything will be alright at the end. Cant wait!

We don’t have a supplier for the OG Wico 360s. The new Happ ones look exactly the same, just a smaller actuator as far as I know. The really old Perfect 360 ones that Happ did are not easy to locate. We can only go with what the suppliers have, and it’s probably going to be 360 fun from that place.

Large cabinets move around too much. Monitors are kind of bleah on those as well. I really wish we could have crystal clear Japanese monitors but the Chicago crew has kind of abandoned going to Nickel City mostly.