SBO/International teams for 2009

Discuss

arcadeufo aka fubarcade 2009 woohoo! :looney::tup::hitit:

If not the fubarcade, then TGA deserves the spots again. Anywhere but Planet Zero(Shit) will do. At least with all of these places, there will be guaranteed spots and not some lame ass tourney that will pre-determine your spot during the qualifying tourney which doesn’t.

I hope TGA can end up running quals again next year. Andy
is a very respectable person.

Tga.

Gameworks!

fubarcade please

he will have the best equipment, and it will give me a good excuse to visit austin. :wgrin::wgrin::wgrin::wgrin::wgrin:

Andy has done alot of work and was still going to send a team to the last chance qualifiers even if he didn’t receive spots this year… I think this a man who loves street fighter.:wgrin:

I wasn’t really thinking of a “vote for who should get the spots”, more like a thread to get ideas on the whole process such as:

1. List of all possible locations that may be willing to get the SBO games, (TGA, upcoming arcadeufo, FFA, MWC, etc…), and what games they are willing to run, anyone setting up KOF spots? arcana heart? (assuming any of those games make it).
  2. Estimated costs, fundraising options, etc…
  3. Player selection, teams/singles, single/double, etc…
  4. Is there a need to run smaller tournaments to help send people to the actual qualifiers?
  5. Other random interesting topics: What games to prioritize (maybe different per location)? Can US arcades get these PS2 port adaptors and hold effective quals?

Even though we don’t know a lot about the specific games or formats yet, we can get started with the general plan, then revisit it once the new games start coming out, then again when the games are announced (in case there are suprises).

wait wait wait… what?

Andy talked about after he announced Street Fighter the situation with the SBO spots and what he wanted to do next year which included if he had to sending a team to try out for the last chance qualifier(or something along that lines) I might have misunderstood but maybe someone could clarify better that was at the last ranbat.

Are the sbo qualifiers held for all games by the person that gets the spot ?

Or do different games have different spots ?

There seems to be some confusion about how that works.

Do we know what games will be at sbo09? The location should beable to host every game. I will throw future final round events in the mix if needed. Yes we are a console based tournament, but we do have the ability to throw arcade style tournaments. I know we can do a ST and 3S sbo quals right now for next year. Also the biggest none evo event over the past 3 years has been final round. The question I would like to ask is there enough spots to spread around or will it have to be at one event? The reason why I ask is that its going to be 3 sbo quals this year. The one PZ threw. Mwc has it now and there will be an west coast sbo qual also. Do anyone know if PZ will keep their sbo qual after this year since they are bending the rules as they see fit? Most likely they will since PZ has their own connections to sbo officials. If there is 2 quals open I think FR should get one to keep a southern quals, because that’s pretty much what PZ sbo quals are. If there’s only one slot open then either tga or mwc should get it to give the usa a well rounded representation from coast to coast. If PZ keeps their sbo quals that will be the southern quals. West coast has a sbo quals. So mwc or tga should be the north/northeast quals. That would cover the community as a whole, but if PZ loses that spot I vote for FRXII. I need to know what games will be on the sbo roster for 09.

Of the 9 games hosted each year, every SBO so far has had the newest SF game (which is SF3 for the past 5 years SBO has been around), The newest VF game, the newest Tekken game, and the newest GG game, and a KOF game.
So next year will probably have:
SF4, VF5, T6, and BlazBlue (as the GG replacement), and KOF12

Those 5 are pretty much sure to be in SBO next year.

Melty Blood made it 3 years in a row, so chances are, Melty Blood: Actress Again will make it into SBO.
Arcana 2 also has a good chance of making it in.

As far as the other two spots, they tend to go for “misc” games, as i like to put it. It’s pretty much whatever company will pay SBO to say “hey, have our game in the tourney” hence why Capcom Fighting Jam, and Neo Geo Battle Colosseum made it in. Chances are, the “misc” games are games that just came out the past year to arcades in Japan, so it could be anything from Basara Cross or Capcom vs Tatsunoko to Fate Unlimited Codes.

So I wouldn’t worry about the weird games that might make it in, because chances are, nobody from the US really plays them anyways. I would say we’re better off sticking to games that:
A) Are almost guaranteed to make it
and
B) People actually play here.

However, kinda like the weird games, the biggest problem for us is that SBO likes to put mostly new games on the roster to keep interest. However, some of these might be TOO new, as the US might have a problem with access to a lot of them. We still have over a year before the person would even compete in SBO 2009, but 2008’s explosion of new fighters might make it problematic to find somewhere that can even host the qualifiers on an arcade board. I wish you guys the best of luck, though!

I really dont see 3s leaving SBO though. It is still one of the most hype tourneys at SBO every year.

Seattle!

Humbag - There’s most definitely a chance it might still make it. However, i wouldn’t be surprised if they put SF4 in 3S’s place. It would be very SBO-ish to just put the newest thing in. For all their other “consistents” (like Tekken and VF) it’s always about the newest version.

I hope for the US’s sake that 3S still makes it in, but be prepared for 3S to be rotated out, and SF4 to be rotated in, just in case.

SFIV will replace it. SBO is much more of a business than a tourney that caters to the fighting game fan. Granted, it kinda does since Japan hops on the newest stuff and goes with it(compared to America, but that’s here nor there).

1. List of all possible locations that may be willing to get the SBO games, (TGA, upcoming arcadeufo, FFA, etc…), and what games they are in, i think things like SF4 are given, anyone setting up KOF spots? arcana heart? (assuming any of those games make it).
    TGA, FFA, DreamTR/Nickel City, Arcade UFO, Planet Zero.

2. Estimated costs, fundraising options, etc…
    I was never clear on this; I know that arcades effectively ‘purchase’ spots but I have no idea how expensive they are. Maybe you could PM some info Choi?

3. Player selection, teams/singles, single/double, etc…
    I think this will depend on Japan’s tournament format. However, since people travel far for SBO qualifiers in the US, I think double elimination is reasonable.

4. Is there a need to run smaller quals to help send people to the actual qualifiers?
    Definitely an option, and it would enable some people to go that normally wouldn’t be able to.

5. Other random interesting topics: What games to prioritize (maybe different per location)? Can US arcades get these PS2 port adaptors and hold effective quals?
    **Of course, each region will want the games that are popular in the area, and some regions might want to hold a unique title. As for PS2 Port Adapters, while this isn’t a bad idea in general, it IS a bad idea for SBO Qualifiers as the finals are arcade hardware only. **

Another important note is that it might be more difficult for Arcade UFO to get SBO spots when Planet Zero already has them for certain games. From Japan’s eyes, why would Texas need two locations for SBO qualifiers, especially if any of the same titles are involved?

SBO is really considered more of a show to showcase the latest title releases. I wouldn’t be surprised if 3S got the boot to be rotated in the “classic games” day in the future or maybe not yet, who knows. The best thing to do is just wait until next years lineup in announced and enjoy seeing particular member/s of this years GG team get raped.