SC1 running slow on new laptop

So I really don’t know why, but when I run Starcraft on my old laptop I bought in 2007 it was fine and pretty quick.

New laptop specs :

Gateway P-7809u FX Edition Notebook Computer

* 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8700
* 4GB (2x2GB) RAM
* 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
* SuperMulti DVD Burner
* nVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS Graphics
* 17" Widescreen Display
* Integrated Camera and Microphone
* 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
* Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
* 9.1 lb

Problems when I run SC on this laptop :

• the animation is pretty choppy
  • the menu’s drag
  • moving my cursor across the screen drags
  • i basically have some bad FPS on this game

I run the steam : source engine games like cake on this laptop

Any suggestions?

Clicked expecting emulator question for Soul Calibur. :lol:

Maybe a lame driver issue? Update like e’erything you can (including DirectX) and try again. Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you!

hm… i had a similiar prob a little while back and tried doing this:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=88862

read the post about the CPU throttling… it worked for me

i know laptop video card drivers like to downclock the video card unless you are needed. My AW does the same. It lags on Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 since those games dont require enough resources to kick the video card into its correct clock speeds.

The way to solve this is to disable powermizer. That will make your video card run at full clocks all the time tho which is not good for the temperature for the laptop. There is a powermizer switch tool you can download so you can turn it on and off whenever you wish.

^^^

nice it worked.

Soo turning off powermizer did what exactly? Also when would I have to turn it back on?

Please excuse my noobish intelligence of desktop//laptops

By turning powermizer off you will make the video card run at full clocks all the time. This is pretty bad for temperatures so you might want to turn it on after you finish playing starcraft. It also bad for battery life since if the video card runs at full power all the time on battery, you will get about 20 minutes or so worth of battery life.

By the way the video card’s clock speeds are also limited on battery so if you want to play games you really need to plug the laptop into an outlet. If you are just going for a quick session you can turn off powermizer and run the video at full clocks on battery using the tool.