Scientist's redisign animal: tequila worms are now gummy worms

Animal’s genetic code redesigned

By Roland Pease BBC Radio Science

Researchers say they have created the first ever animal with artificial information in its genetic code.
The technique, they say, could give biologists “atom-by-atom control” over the molecules in living organisms.
One expert the BBC spoke to agrees, saying the technique would be seized upon by “the entire biology community”.
The work by a Cambridge University team, which used nematode worms, appears in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
The worms - from the species Caenorhabditis elegans - are 1mm long, with just a thousand cells in their transparent bodies.
What makes the newly created animals different is that their genetic code has been extended to create biological molecules not known in the natural world.

Soon we may have actual pokemons.

my dreams of having a pikachu may be possible?

Artificial porkchop?

A griffin would be nice.

I just want a Yoshi I can swallow my foes with.
rides up on Evo stage in Yoshi

• :bluu:

So when will they start mass producing artificial women like barbie dolls? You know… recyclable bitches.

Don’t they already exist? I think they’re called whores. But then again, I’m sure it would be nice to just explode one of those disposable women from time to time…

Really though, it’s interesting to see the strides in the scientific community. There are people still working on trying to take apart and redesign more than just the biological make-up of a worm. Over the years we may see some rather dodgy implications of such things (… like “recyclable women”…). A section of my mind is overwhelmed with fear…

The first thing I thought of was when Neo learned Kung-fu in the first Matrix.

I can’t wait for the very first Pikachu.

I wonder what plans the government might have for this? I am not a biologist or anything but what can be the serious possibilities? Like creating new genetically modified organism/foods, bio-terrorism, and changing human genes for better or worse.

The Manchurian canidate

all.
genetically modified foods are already on the market. we’ve all probably eaten plant foods with rat dna in them.
the US military definitely has secret bioengineering projects under their belt.

I’d love my genes to be able to be changed…

I’d only consider gene therapy if I was in a situation that required or old ass man that wanted to feel young again…

Piccolo: I swear to Kami if you jump on my back ONE more time…