SCV perfect display of how 2D is still > 3D

OK, I don’t want to seem like I’m bashing SCV, it’s actually the first 3D game I’m really interested in in years. But I was going over some screen shots, and am blown away by the character art. However, in seeing the brilliant artwork, it’s kind of underwhelming to see how they ended up in the final 3D renders. For example, here’s some comparisons between the charcter art vs render:

Xiba:

vs.

Raphael:

vs.

Hilde:

vs.

Tira:

vs.

Ivy:

vs.

As you can see, the style and charm lost in the transition can be pretty jarring. I’d kill to have a 2D SC game with this artwork.

Misleading headline but yeah I always thought the 2D art of SC5 was great and the 3d renderings were shit.

You can’t use characters portraits to back your claim. Most times the character looks much different than the portrait regardless of 2D or 3D.

Where have you seen fighting game sprites on the same level as SC concept art?

What the fuck is a xiba?

Soul Calibur 5 Official Discussion

Ivy still has massive tits, I see no difference.

Spiritual successor to Kilik.

Soul Calibur’s 3D models never really jived with the concept art even back in the day. It’s a matter of the devs seemingly not really following the concept art and not simply due to issues with polygons.

I often like the concept art or character portraits better than the in-game representations in 2D games as well.

some of those translations from 2d to 3d could be more accurate, Xiba especially, but it depends on the skill of the artist.

But 3D is getting better at it, as time goes on you wont be able to tell the difference between 2d and 3d

No, THAT is absurd and we both know it. Unless you are blind or mentally retarded, if you look deep down inside yourself you will find the truth and then you will agree with me.

Having researched this field extensively as a matter of academic discipline, I consider myself to be a foremost expert on the subject, and rightly so.

Here is another side-by-side comparative example that further demonstrates the veracity of my opinion:

2D versus 3D

Spoiler

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1111/402pxmonalisa2cbyleonar.jpg

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/3338/314pxdavidvonmichelange.jpg

See? It’s OBVIOUS. To anyone with one eye and half a brain, that is.

Yea, I think apples are better than oranges too.

lol, anybody who disagrees underestimates technology. A time will come when you wont be able to graphically distinguish a 3D video game from a 2D anime

Michelangelo x Da Vinci 2012 confirmed.

WHY DOES SOLID SNAKE NEVER LOOK LIKE THOSE DRAWINGS

I CAN NEVER SEE HIS FACE IN THEM BUT IN THE GAME HES WHITE WTF WTF WTF

They’re going to look different in motion on your console too compared to the screenshots taken from their development PCs.

But how do you even expect to make JUICE then

Who needs juice when you got dat sauce?

Yeah, 2D looks way better:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/ryup.jpg/
vs

I love when my street fighter characters have shrunken heads.

uhhm, no, i think you just don’t understand the ART DIRECTION for this game.

he has huge muscles because he’s really strong!

which is how he fought off the witch doctor who was trying to shrink his whole body.

Well in SF4’s case both the art and the in game models are pretty ugly anyway.
I mean, fuck… LOOT AT THIS SHIT

Compared to the awesomeness of the SSF2 profile pics.

Is it just me or does David’s head look kind of big?