Seimitsu LS-32-01 troubles

Hi there,

I’ve got the following problem & I would be grateful for any help (checked other threads but to no avail):

I wanted to mod my cheap playstation 2 joyboard with quality parts, so I got myself a Seimitsu LS-32-01 stick.

Tried to find out which of the pins of the Seimitsu LS-32-01 does what. It has 5 pins of which one is the ground line (the yellow wire in mine), at least I’m quite sure it is. Now I was sure each of the remaining four ones is connected to one of the four direction micro-switches, so every single one is one direction (up, down, left, right). Apparently I was wrong: when I connect the yellow wire (the uppermost pin if you look at the Seimitsu from below and the pins face right) to the ground of the joyboard’s PCB and the orange one (the lowermost) to the “up”-pin of the PCB, I get Metal Slug’s Marco to look up when I move the joystick up. So far, so good, but I have no idea how the rest of the pins are wired:

If I connect the yellow wire/ uppermost pin to the ground of the PCB and touch the different direction pins of the PCB with the Seimitsu’s black wire (the third pin from the top), I get left/ right/ up/ down responses, depending on which of the pins I touch - but only if the joystick points in the upper-right direction?! Same for the green wire/ 4th from the top pin, only I have to move the stick up-left. I don’t get any reaction out of the red wire/ second from the top pin at all.

I have checked out this source

, but as described above, the stick/ wiring doesn’t behave the way it should at all. It’s really strange that I get diagonals. Somebody on the shmups forum mentioned it might have to do with the fact that I tested the pins individually and for the stick to work properly ALL pins must be connected to the board’s PCB?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.